Deschamps jumps from 80/1 to favourite with bookmakers

Guest hindu times
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Without his Champions League Final appearance, his record doesn't look too impressive.

Aye, I'm surprised at such goodwill towards him tbh. Not to say he isn't good (I have no idea), but he's done nothing compared to Houllier, for example. A foreign Hughes?

Yes, Deschamps is the same age as Houllier and has had the same amount of time to make an impact :)

Where did I say that? I'm talking about the difference in response by people on here. Houllier with all his achievements got nothing like this enthusiasm.

Maybe because the teams he has worked under haven't played the attractive football the people on here are looking for.

Maybe so. I've never really seen it, as I admitted above.

What kind of style do his teams generally play? Other than with Juventus in a lower league.

Attacking, you saw that throughout the Champions League campaign, the wins over Real Madrid and Chelsea were very good games and Monaco took the game to both of them, Morientes and Giuly were influential in their success and I'm sure everyone remembers the 8-3 win over Deportivo La Coruna, players such as Morientes, Giuly and Rothen were the main attacking players in their team, the point is the intent was to play good football and attack teams.

Without his Champions League Final appearance, his record doesn't look too impressive.

Aye, I'm surprised at such goodwill towards him tbh. Not to say he isn't good (I have no idea), but he's done nothing compared to Houllier, for example. A foreign Hughes?

I think the Champions League run is swaying a lot of people and rightly so. The main concern with the likes of Hughes and Shearer is wether they would be found out, tactically, at the very highest level.

I agree with KaKa and Parky, it would an exciting and ambitious appointment; the opposite of the last three.

Yes, Deschamps is the same age as Houllier and has had the same amount of time to make an impact :)

Where did I say that? I'm talking about the difference in response by people on here. Houllier with all his achievements got nothing like this enthusiasm.

Maybe because the teams he has worked under haven't played the attractive football the people on here are looking for.

What kind of style do his teams generally play? Other than with Juventus in a lower league.

Attacking, you saw that throughout the Champions League campaign, the wins over Real Madrid and Chelsea were very good games and Monaco took the game to both of them, Morientes and Giuly were influential in their success and I'm sure everyone remembers the 8-3 win over Deportivo La Coruna, players such as Morientes, Giuly and Rothen were the main attacking players in their team, the point is the intent was to play good football and attack teams.

:thup:

So do people prefer the promise of good football over a proven winner?

Guest Christian Hayne

All rumours seem to have stopped now regarding Deschamps, talksport not said anything about it in their hourly update either.

:thup: well said. Let's just ignore the CL final appearance.

:lol:

I see your final and raise you Boumsong.

(Sorry to be a soppy get, but I wouldn't want someone running this club that wouldn't have give us a second thought in his playing career.)

I think people lke the fact that he is able to back up his good footballing credential with reasonable significant achievements, also has a lot of other things going for him such as his age and the unknown quantity aspect. Houllier has a limit, both achievment wise and age wise.

The appointment of Deschamps has an air of Wenger about it.

(Sorry to be a soppy get, but I wouldn't want someone running this club that wouldn't have give us a second thought in his playing career.)

He bought Boumsong for a million or two to play in Serie B, and he did well for them, so what's the problem?

Guest toonlass

That rules out the majority of managers then, ho hum

That rules out the majority of managers then, ho hum :rant:

Aye. :lol:  Why does that even matter?

Gullit and Dalglish for example.

Guest assyriantoon

You shouldn't really consider a foreign manager who hasn't won his own league. The whole point of getting a foreigner is that they have the experience of winning something. I guess Deschamps would be better then Hughes but I think this is more a martin jol type foreign appointment, rather then a Sven or Mourinho esque signing. Van Gaal is far superior tbh.

Its hardly a Jol appointment..  Jol was an almost unknown 48 year old who had been managing for 13 years winning one cup in the process before taking over Spurs.  Deschamps is considered one of the brightest up and coming managers in Europe and has won more then Jol, and taken a club to the Champions League final, at the age of only 39.

Not that Jol was a bad appointment for Spurs mind ;)

Im of the mindset that Newcastle is a mid table team/uefa cup challenger at this very moment. I think that in order to make the next step we need a really ambitious appointment (coupled with a sizeable transfer fund, but I'm assuming that a new manager would be given this). While I think that Deschamps or Jol for that matter could get us the Uefa cup place I don't think they can progress this club to a Champions league challenger, which should be what we are looking for. What we need in order to compete at that level is a manager with the experience of winning. I think Deschamps would be an adequate appointment but i'm unsure of his ability to take us to that level. I would much prefer a proven winner like Van Gaal.

Both in an ideal world, it's difficult to compare, both have managed under different circumstances, it depends on whether Ashley sees it as too much of a risk.

Guest toonlass

Gullit and Dalglish for example.

SBR never played for us either but he did a good job here. So you would not have Arsene Wenger, Mourhino or Alex Ferguson if they wanted to come here just because they hadn't played for the toon? And am I assuming that Marcellino would be preferred over, say, Van Gaal?

So basically you only want Keegan and Shearer? Why didn't you just say that?

You shouldn't really consider a foreign manager who hasn't won his own league. The whole point of getting a foreigner is that they have the experience of winning something. I guess Deschamps would be better then Hughes but I think this is more a martin jol type foreign appointment, rather then a Sven or Mourinho esque signing. Van Gaal is far superior tbh.

Its hardly a Jol appointment..  Jol was an almost unknown 48 year old who had been managing for 13 years winning one cup in the process before taking over Spurs.  Deschamps is considered one of the brightest up and coming managers in Europe and has won more then Jol, and taken a club to the Champions League final, at the age of only 39.

Not that Jol was a bad appointment for Spurs mind ;)

Im of the mindset that Newcastle is a mid table team/uefa cup challenger at this very moment. I think that in order to make the next step we need a really ambitious appointment (coupled with a sizeable transfer fund, but I'm assuming that a new manager would be given this). While I think that Deschamps or Jol for that matter could get us the Uefa cup place I don't think they can progress this club to a Champions league challenger, which should be what we are looking for. What we need in order to compete at that level is a manager with the experience of winning. I think Deschamps would be an adequate appointment but i'm unsure of his ability to take us to that level. I would much prefer a proven winner like Van Gaal.

Why shouldn't he be able to get us to the Champions League given time?  He has experience of being in the Champions League and indeed took Monaco to the final in 2004.  He's also won trophies in the short time he's been in management.  Whatever you think of wanting Van Gaal its extremely unlikely, and doesn't change the fact that Deschamps is almost nothing like Jol..