General NUFC stuff

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Just went to look at how we went from top at xmas in 2001/02 to being 4th and 16 points behind Arsenal by the end of the season. (Remember the Bellamy injury and everything, but still). I never realized til now that Arsenal didn't lose a single game after we beat them in that 3-1 at Highbury, and they only drew three.

Aye, I know Ferguson once said if Bellamy had stayed fit we might have won it but I don’t think anyone would have stopped Arsenal that second half of the season, they were something else. Won 18 and drew 3 of the 21 after that.

Back in the day when we were bigger than City, Chelsea and Spurs. Anyone who wasn’t around during this time can never appreciate how big this fucking club can be.

Literally everywhere you went, and I mean anywhere in England, Europe or further afield you bumped into someone wearing one of those tops. If you had one on and were in another part of the world you were stopped by locals constantly wanting to talk about Alan Shearer or Kevin Keegan. We were absolutely massive back then, not just making up the numbers. I still remember a Daily Mirror article circa 1996 which displayed a league table of the top selling replica kit sales in the UK and we were top by miles (Rangers 2nd, Man Utd 3rd).

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-goal-marseille-uefa-cup-19569987?fbclid=IwAR2nQ3I_B3zZGzAuwTiq70fQxAPvTSkV3OwIGdQt6L4jSRhgrPUtyyRsV-o

'Why Goal! movie proved to be a 'distraction' ahead of Newcastle United's UEFA Cup clash at Marseille'

Didn't realize they were with the team then, since all the footage came from following season.

The bloke Bridges talks about being sat next to on the plane also missed out on the part of Aragorn in LotR. Nightmare.

Not that it was a masterpiece or anything (:lol:), but I wonder how different the film would have been if they'd used the UEFA cup stuff?

Was far too young to appreciate this guy. My first ever shirt was a Robert 32 the summer he signed, still remember how buzzing I was wearing it to the park that day to play football. Looking back, 9 years old, had no clue who he even was, never seen him play or even if he was any good  :aww:

In an effort to spread some positivity, he's by far my favourite Newcastle player, Cabaye closely followed  :rolleyes:

Anyone in that generation above myself care to share a Laurent Robert story?  :lol:

Decent piece on Graham Carr in the Chronicle about that 2013 January:

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-mike-ashley-revolution-19643104

I wasn't disappointed to see the back of Carr, but primarily because of the crucial role he played in the Ashleyfication of the club, and because his exit signalled Rafa taking full control (for a summer, at least). Clearly a talented and well-connected scout and would have been an incredible asset had everything else about the club been decent.

Wee bit surprised we're not embarking on a similar SOS mission this month, given the situation is quite similar; i.e. they have a manager they want but one who's too incompetent to deliver results.

Aye, think I’ve said it before. If he was part of a scouting and recruitment team he’d have been amazing, unfortunately for us he WAS the scouting and recruitment team. Still did well for the most part and I think we’d have signed some of the more high end players on the lists if it hadn’t been for Ashley.

Was far too young to appreciate this guy. My first ever shirt was a Robert 32 the summer he signed, still remember how buzzing I was wearing it to the park that day to play football. Looking back, 9 years old, had no clue who he even was, never seen him play or even if he was any good  :aww:

In an effort to spread some positivity, he's by far my favourite Newcastle player, Cabaye closely followed  :rolleyes:

Anyone in that generation above myself care to share a Laurent Robert story?  :lol:

My favourite NUFC player. The technique he’d use at set-pieces would mean they’d hit first man or be a nightmare to defend and an attacker’s dream. Was worth it.

I also loved the games where he couldn’t be arsed, was part of the enigma. There’d be games where you’d see Bernard tear arsing past him on the overlap, we’d give the ball away, and then you’d see Bernard tear arsing back past Robert to get back into position while Robert seemed in his own little world. Loved him.

And I still reckon he was aiming for Dickov when he nearly knocked Bernard’s head off. There was no other reason in the world for him to smash it that way but to do that. :lol: