Alan Shearer

Weznufc

That's actually a tough one.

Shearer up to Bobby's last season over the FA Cup every time, general enjoyment is more important to me than a one off cup.

However post this point Shearer started to become a bit of an issue in that we couldn't simply drop/sell him but this stopped us moving forward with a replacement.

Can I take 8 years of Shearer over the cup instead?

I wouldn't swap the time we had Shearer for anything.

I'm very proud of just a handful of things to do with NUFC. Shearer is most definitely one of them.

:thup:

If the Ashley era has taught me anything, it's that the most important thing to have as a football supporter is pride in your club. If I'm supporting a Newcastle United which is doing everything it can to uphold its identity as a sporting institution and a source of regional pride; and is doing everything it can to be successful... then any silverware would just be a bonus as far as I am concerned. Shearer was the embodiment of that attitude and I doubt we'll ever have a better example in my lifetime.

Hopefully we will win something at some point, and of course you'd hope for more successful periods than unsuccessful ones; but as long as we're trying, I can live with it. I might be talking out of my arse here, but I bet the vast majority of NUFC fans in their thirties remember the 95/96 season with more fondness, sentiment and clarity than any ManU fan remembers any of their 90s successes.

I wouldn't swap the time we had Shearer for anything.

I'm very proud of just a handful of things to do with NUFC. Shearer is most definitely one of them.

:thup:

If the Ashley era has taught me anything, it's that the most important thing to have as a football supporter is pride in your club. If I'm supporting a Newcastle United which is doing everything it can to uphold its identity as a sporting institution and a source of regional pride; and is doing everything it can to be successful... then any silverware would just be a bonus as far as I am concerned. Shearer was the embodiment of that attitude and I doubt we'll ever have a better example in my lifetime.

Hopefully we will win something at some point, and of course you'd hope for more successful periods than unsuccessful ones; but as long as we're trying, I can live with it. I might be talking out of my arse here, but I bet the vast majority of NUFC fans in their thirties remember the 95/96 season with more fondness, sentiment and clarity than any ManU fan remembers any of their 90s successes.

100% this.

Question to all: Would you swap a decade of Shearer in our shirt, for the FA Cup in say 1998?

Very good question; interesting that the opinion seems very much split on this one.

Im in the no camp personally for reasons put much more eloquently by others already.

Guest Howaythetoon

I personally wouldn’t swap one solitary FA Cup win for the decade or so of Shearer and all those goals, moments and what he as a striker and goalscorer made me feel watching him playing for us that I don’t think a Cup win could ever quite top.

A title win would be different of course, but in that context I don’t think I’d swap the KK era we enjoyed for the Dalglish era Blackburn enjoyed which resulted in a title for them and not for us. I’m sure they wouldn’t swap either and rightly so.

Sadly for Shearer, his performances and goals for us deserved to be rewarded with silver, but as ever with Newcastle, we’ve had more great players than great teams and because of that the Shearers will always mean that little bit more to us and their goals, performances and moments more special.

For me certainly anyway.

Guest alijmitchell

Probably a bit against the grain, but I think I would swap it for a win. One big trophy win would have done so much for the club. Those finals as a kid crushed me. Imagine what it would be like knowing that our club is actually capable of success and has achieved it in recent times. Theres such an emotional connection to shearer, and I love that he chose to stay with us, but at a time when the FA Cup was a huge thing, a win would have sent the city bonkers in a way no-one would have forgotten.