Video Assistant Referees (VAR)

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I don’t really agree with the principle of reviews, it the point is to get the right result they should really look at everything.

Seems like it’s this desire to ‘protect’ the referee on the field that causes issues. Either have VAR or decide the referee is good enough, difficult to have both.

An interesting point made by Clattenburg on the offside calls is that linesmen are told not to flag for close decisions so the VAR kind of has to overturn decisions that are close as we don't know if the lino thought it was offside or not

Some linesmen are still flagging close ones though. There's no consistency whatsoever

I'm thinking it's just 'force of habit' at the moment like. If you think, most of these will have been doing that role for 15-20 years from grassroots, flagging when they see something as being offside. To pretty much overnight go to being told to let things go...it might just take a couple of months to get used to not instantly sticking their flag up?

What happens if there's a close offside call, the linesman leaves it and the attacking team win a corner which they subsequently score from?

It then turns out that the offside call should have been given offside, they can't go back to the original offside call. It's a completely flawed system

What happens if there's a close offside call, the linesman leaves it and the attacking team win a corner which they subsequently score from?

It then turns out that the offside call should have been given offside, they can't go back to the original offside call. It's a completely flawed system

Yep. Apparently if Chelsea hadn’t of equalised (that was disallowed by VAR) but instead in that same move won a penalty then VAR would’ve only reviewed the penalty and not the offside which it did for the goal :lol:

This is what I've been saying for ages. Unless you're prepared to have the VAR referee the entire game, every foul, every throw in, then the entire concept of VAR (getting the decisions right so we get the correct result) falls flat on its face. A system that will review a penalty but won't review a foul right on the edge of the box for a direct free kick is a farcical one.

Not sure if they've been doing this in the PL but at least elsewhere the linesman would raise the flag very late if he was leaning on offside but wasn't 100% sure and let VAR to check it in case of a goal.

This is what I've been saying for ages. Unless you're prepared to have the VAR referee the entire game, every foul, every throw in, then the entire concept of VAR (getting the decisions right so we get the correct result) falls flat on its face. A system that will review a penalty but won't review a foul right on the edge of the box for a direct free kick is a farcical one.

:thup:

:thup:

I disagree, in other sports it’s just used for certain things...

I think the problem is the fact they arnt getting involved enough,

Need to drop the bar slightly and use for general decisions all over which are wrong

Give the linesman three flags. A red one for definitely offside, an amber one for he might be offside I'm not sure, and a green one for he's onside.

If appropriate two flags can be raised at once eg red and amber means he's definitely offside, I think.

Not raising a flag is not allowed. Any time a forward pass is made which could result in an offside call a flag must be raised.

Having an amber flag raised at any point will cause a VAR review next time play stops.

Having a red or green flag raised at any point and having it be the wrong decision means no VAR review but the linesman is taken from the ground and shot so he can be replaced by a more compliant linesman who knows his place and uses the amber flag. All hail our VAR overlords.

Exactly, I was going to reference that you've been spot on throughout this thread about VAR

VAR will never work unless every single thing is reviewed. It's not a game of cricket or tennis where the fluidity of the game is stopped between balls/points

Review an offside next break of play. Change the rule so if the attacking team still has an advantage at that break of play (goal, corner, penalty, etc) and VAR deems it to be offside, give the free-kick then.

Still believe VAR will improve but it’s more the use of it, and the laws, that needs tweaking to get the full advantage.

Review an offside next break of play. Change the rule so if the attacking team still has an advantage at that break of play (goal, corner, penalty, etc) and VAR deems it to be offside, give the free-kick then.

Games will end up with double figures of stoppage time every single game especially if they're going to go into as much detail as they did with the Son one this weekend

And that’s where you make a change in law to accommodate. It only took so long because they’re trying to carry out to the letter of the law with the technology available. If you change it to the legs or even the part of the body the attacker plays the ball with, it’ll be quicker to determine and some decisions will be made by VAR before the break in play.

Give the linesman three flags. A red one for definitely offside, an amber one for he might be offside I'm not sure, and a green one for he's onside.

If appropriate two flags can be raised at once eg red and amber means he's definitely offside, I think.

Not raising a flag is not allowed. Any time a forward pass is made which could result in an offside call a flag must be raised.

Having an amber flag raised at any point will cause a VAR review next time play stops.

Having a red or green flag raised at any point and having it be the wrong decision means no VAR review but the linesman is taken from the ground and shot so he can be replaced by a more compliant linesman who knows his place and uses the amber flag. All hail our VAR overlords.

They could carry them in one of them little gardening tool belts that Charlie Dimmock used to wear.