Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

Enjoy the good moments when they come. The main reason ASM and Almiron play for us is because they have glaring weaknesses to their game and no better club wanted to take a risk on them. Better clubs from all over Europe will have scouted them out and decided against them. It's not often nowadays that a club unearths a hidden gem, Kante springs to mind.

That said, he's pretty much my new favourite player, along with the Longstaffs for obvious nepotic reasons :)

Getting this guy for what £16 million was tremendous IMO. It's just such a shame we don't have the manager to get the best out of him. Despite that i think he will do well enough to get a lot of attention next summer from better clubs.

When I look at what Fornals at West Ham and even Pepe at Arsenal have done so far. I'm not sure either have shown anywhere near the same threat and ability. Those two cost an absolute ton of money too. Sarr at Watford can't even get a game and he cost loads too.

If this guy was at a club that was anyway half decent at going forward he'd be looking even better. Slot him in the Bournemouth team for example. We are a joke with the ball and it's a wonder he's even looked so dangerous.

Guest neesy111

In a weird sort of way, I think our haphazard style of attack might actually suit him. Not sure how he'd fair in a more organised attacking unit, whereas for us he can just pick up the ball and start running. :lol:

:thup:

Where are people getting this no end product/lack of decision making stuff from? He’s played about 4 games and been instrumental. Bit early to make claims of no end product like, sounds like lazy rhetoric to me.

Yup, I concur.

He's already actually put in a few decent balls with no one in position to capitalise.

However, you can see he is at times being a bit selfish as he really wants to score his first goal, which I can't blame him for really. Especially when you see the videos from training of him blasting them in.

Could soon, if not already, suffer from the HBA-condition that he's running with the ball, has no options, tries to do it all by himself, fails thus fall subject to criticism due to the ineptitude of the manager and/or team because it was him that lost the ball.

Sorry, but you can’t blame anyone else for missing those howling sitters. You have to finish one on ones when you have that much time through on goal. Finishing was fucking shite and he will need to work on it.

This

I was speaking in more general terms from earlier matches I've seen. I haven't seen highlights from the West Ham match so I'll just take your word for it and hope it's an anomaly rather than the norm for him.

Where are people getting this no end product/lack of decision making stuff from? He’s played about 4 games and been instrumental. Bit early to make claims of no end product like, sounds like lazy rhetoric to me.

I think often players who are thought of as having "no end product" are underrated. Even if they're making silly decisions at times they're generally creating more chances than others are, like ASM is

Enjoy the good moments when they come. The main reason ASM and Almiron play for us is because they have glaring weaknesses to their game and no better club wanted to take a risk on them. Better clubs from all over Europe will have scouted them out and decided against them. It's not often nowadays that a club unearths a hidden gem, Kante springs to mind.

This isn’t true though is it?

I think often players who are thought of as having "no end product" are underrated. Even if they're making silly decisions at times they're generally creating more chances than others are, like ASM is

59/223 for 'key passes' in the PL.

This isn’t true though is it?

Your reply makes no sense.

That said, he's pretty much my new favourite player, along with the Longstaffs for obvious nepotic reasons :)

I don't have a favourite player any more, the enthusiasm has been completely drained from me. But if I did, it would certainly be a player Rafa signed, not one Ashley/who knows signed.

I'd imagine from his 'highlight videos' online, as most show no end product after his many runs and tricks.

Also, from his career statistics? They aren't that great in weaker leagues to be fair.

I don't have a favourite player any more, the enthusiasm has been completely drained from me. But if I did, it would certainly be a player Rafa signed, not one Ashley/who knows signed.

Would that rule HBA out - signed only because he was cheap with no consideration as to fitting him in?

Could soon, if not already, suffer from the HBA-condition that he's running with the ball, has no options, tries to do it all by himself, fails thus fall subject to criticism due to the ineptitude of the manager and/or team because it was him that lost the ball.

Sorry, but you can’t blame anyone else for missing those howling sitters. You have to finish one on ones when you have that much time through on goal. Finishing was fucking shite and he will need to work on it.

If he was a competent finisher he'd be playing for a top club tbh. Those one on ones are why he's here.

I'd imagine from his 'highlight videos' online, as most show no end product after his many runs and tricks.

Also, from his career statistics? They aren't that great in weaker leagues to be fair.

Hes 22 for fuck sake. Most attacking players dont hit their peak until 25 at the earliest.

What is with this fascination we have with trying to destroy players? ASM has transformed our attack with his pace, I dont need statistics to see that.

With his growing confidence and influence on our side, goals and assists will come, Almiron too.

Who would you rather in your side, someone like Richie who will definitely chip in with goals and assists but who will also slow the pace of our attacks right down.

I'd rather take a chance with these two young lads, who might, not guaranteed but might, turn into top class players very soon.

It's a no brainer in my eyes. On the other hand, Joelinton needs monitored closely, as we cant have a centre forward going for a dozen games with one goal, even if he too is raw.

BTW, this post wasnt specifically aimed at Sean.  :lol:

If he was a competent finisher he'd be playing for a top club tbh. Those one on ones are why he's here.

Again hes 22 and as much as I hate this club at the moment, the whole "if he was good he would be playing elsewhere", arguement is tiresome. That suggests there are no good players outside of the top 4/6 or whatever. Besides which, if he adds goals and assists, people will start saying, "we wont hold onto him for long."

:lol: :lol: This club is depressing AF. They are either shite or good but about be flogged. True mind.

Seems a bit of an extreme position to take. Not really the player's fault if he was signed by Ashley, I doubt he even knew who the owner was. I get the lack of enthusiasm in general for NUFC, it's the same for most of us, but I wouldn't hold that against a player.

Again hes 22 and as much as I hate this club at the moment, the whole "if he was good he would be playing elsewhere", arguement is tiresome. That suggests there are no good players outside of the top 4/6 or whatever. Besides which, if he adds goals and assists, people will start saying, "we wont hold onto him for long."

:lol: :lol: This club is depressing AF. They are either shite or good but about be flogged. True mind.

He's technically excellent, lightening quick, strong, direct and full of confidence running at defenders - it's not some tired cliché to say if he'd displayed with some competency that he could finish with composure as well at the age of 22, he would most certainly have been snapped up by a top club; especially in the current market where players like him are bought "just in case" they happen to turn good.

Guest reefatoon

Hes 22 for fuck sake. Most attacking players dont hit their peak until 25 at the earliest.

What is with this fascination we have with trying to destroy players? ASM has transformed our attack with his pace, I dont need statistics to see that.

With his growing confidence and influence on our side, goals and assists will come, Almiron too.

Who would you rather in your side, someone like Richie who will definitely chip in with goals and assists but who will also slow the pace of our attacks right down.

I'd rather take a chance with these two young lads, who might, not guaranteed but might, turn into top class players very soon.

It's a no brainer in my eyes. On the other hand, Joelinton needs monitored closely, as we cant have a centre forward going for a dozen games with one goal, even if he too is raw.

The bit in bold seems an odd thing to say. I think everyone would prefer to have someone in the team that scores and creates, no matter who it is, to someone that runs with the ball but doesn't score or create. If he brings that to his game (I am sure he will), then all that running he does will be worth it, but without any goals and assists, the running is all pretty pointless if it doesn't bring anything to the play. Maybe put him on the bench and he can do some keepy ups in front of you to keep you entertained while we have someone on the pitch chipping in with goals and assists. Keep everyone happy then.

The bit in bold seems an odd thing to say. I think everyone would prefer to have someone in the team that scores and creates, no matter who it is, to someone that runs with the ball but doesn't score or create. If he brings that to his game (I am sure he will), then all that running he does will be worth it, but without any goals and assists, the running is all pretty pointless if it doesn't bring anything to the play. Maybe put him on the bench and he can do some keepy ups in front of you to keep you entertained while we have someone on the pitch chipping in with goals and assists. Keep everyone happy then.

Very narrow view of looking at things. Almiron and Maximin might not have technically created or scored the goals, but they frightened the life out of West Ham's defence, and their running was pretty much instrumental in all the goals.