The Title Race

Decky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I don't understand the point in talking about season by season spending anyway when both teams, especially Man City, signed their best players years ago.

It's also fairly moot considering Man City can easily fail and keep spending from their bottomless bank account until they're successful, without even a slap on the wrist re FFP.

As for the CL, that's Man City's ambition but it's not Pep's. His outlook is always to win the league and if you win the CL it's because it's a byproduct of that and luck.

Because that's how football is played? i don't see the point in talking about their spending over multiple seasons when the sport isn't defined by success over multiple years or even played like that?

But if you want to do this then fine, how about Man Utd's spending since Ferguson retired? what has that got them?

I don't understand the point in talking about season by season spending anyway when both teams, especially Man City, signed their best players years ago.

It's also fairly moot considering Man City can easily fail and keep spending from their bottomless bank account until they're successful, without even a slap on the wrist re FFP.

As for the CL, that's Man City's ambition but it's not Pep's. His outlook is always to win the league and if you win the CL it's because it's a byproduct of that and luck.

Because that's how football is played? i don't see the point in talking about their spending over multiple seasons when the sport isn't defined by success over multiple years or even played like that?

But if you want to do this then fine, how about Man Utd's spending since Ferguson retired? what has that got them?

:(

:lol: I didn't want to hurt anyone tbh, i just feel like the whole money discussion is way too simplified in terms of how easy it supposedly is once you have it.

Especially in the Premier League where other than Tottenham ( for their own reasons) all the big teams spend shit loads, i don't think it's as easy to have success as some think, there's way more to it than just spend money and everything happens.

:lol: I didn't want to hurt anyone tbh, i just feel like the whole money discussion is way too simplified in terms of how easy it supposedly is once you have it.

Especially in the Premier League where other than Tottenham ( for their own reasons) all the big teams spend shit loads, i don't think it's as easy to have success as some think, there's way more to it than just spend money and everything happens.

Our managers have managed to spend 100's of millions on absolute guff to be fair. That's the difference in appointing David Moyes as opposed to Pep Guardiola. We're essentially still recovering from that terrible appointment.

Of course there is. Man City are an incredibly well ran club there is no denying that. They have made mistakes though which might have cost them a title or two over the last few years but due to their incredible spending power have gotten out of it.

That's what i'm saying, i think the aspect of coaching, players self improvement, mental aspect etc etc is genuinely ignored. Not just about City either but in general, if Liverpool gave the money they spent last summer to 90% of the league other than Klopp would they be on track for over 90+ points? probably not.

I just feel like that it's not as easy as some think it is.

Manchester  united are a genuinely huge club who perhaps could have spent even more if it had not been for the Glaziers. They can do this because they have built their club up over a long time to be the biggest in the country, with huge revenue.

Manchester  united are a genuinely huge club who perhaps could have spent even more if it had not been for the Glaziers. They can do this because they have built their club up over a long time to be the biggest in the country, with huge revenue.

The circumstance isn't really relevant to my argument tbh, i couldn't really care less about it. I'm just saying that it's not as simple as throwing money at something and thinking it will fall into place. You may care about the circumstance but it's never been part of my argument so i'm not really fussed tbh.

Guest neesy111

Simone's new contract has made him the highest paid manager in the world.  Simone's had problems with trying to change Atletico's style this season, hasn't really worked.

How many extra points have Liverpool got from penalties given for Saha diving and cheaing.  Add to that the thug Henderson and no I don't want them to win it

How is Henderson a thug? Or just because he's from Sunderland?

Simone's new contract has made him the highest paid manager in the world.  Simone's had problems with trying to change Atletico's style this season, hasn't really worked.

Didn't know he signed a new contract, i was assuming he might move on after this season for some reason. Guess that won't happen then if it's signed a big new deal.

Guest firetotheworks

That's not how football's played. :lol: You accumulate players over numerous years and spend money over numerous years in order to win titles over numerous years. You wouldn't just look at Man City's signings in summer 2017 when analysing why they won the PL in 2017-18, would you? It would be totally stupid to ignore literally everyone except Ederson, Walker, Mendy, Danilo, Laporte, and Bernardo Silva, wouldn't it?

The Man United point is exactly it, they didn't completely overhaul the team in one summer, they've spent hundreds of millions over 6 years and will carry on doing so until they win something beyond  the FA Cup, the League Cup, and the Europa Cup.

I want Liverpool to win the league because I have never seen them win it before and I think it will mean much more to them than Man City who will just shrug it off as another trophy.

Man City will probably win it though despite having tougher fixtures left.

Guest Howaythetoon

The thing with Liverpool which can be used with regards to us probably more than anything, is in real life away from the web the majority of their fans are sound. Expose yourself to Liverpool through the lens of Sky and pundits who used to play for them, social media, RAWK and various talk ins, and you’ll hate everything about them.

Me, in real life, their fans are sound, Klopp is similar to Rafa in terms of getting a club and it’s fans, has his team playing football I personally prefer, hasn’t been bankrolled by a sovereign state, money he has spent coming via sales and the money LFC get from Sky, the CL and fans buying all that tat merchandise, and LFC are a Northern club with likeable players.

Man City winning the league just reinforces the Monopoly money has over success which Man City can and will see off any threat by outspending anyone.

There is nothing artificial with Klopp, the team he’s assembled, the players he’s brought in from the academy nor Liverpool outside of their global fanbase and admittedly a large percentage of phoney match day going fans.

It would be a good thing for the game if they were to take the title off City.

Mind, if they were to choke, I’d piss myself laughing.

The thing with Liverpool which can be used with regards to us probably more than anything, is in real life away from the web the majority of their fans are sound. Expose yourself to Liverpool through the lens of Sky and pundits who used to play for them, social media, RAWK and various talk ins, and you’ll hate everything about them.

Me, in real life, their fans are sound, Klopp is similar to Rafa in terms of getting a club and it’s fans, has his team playing football I personally prefer, hasn’t been bankrolled by a sovereign state, money he has spent coming via sales and the money LFC get from Sky, the CL and fans buying all that tat merchandise, and LFC are a Northern club with likeable players.

Man City winning the league just reinforces the Monopoly money has over success which Man City can and will see off any threat by outspending anyone.

There is nothing artificial with Klopp, the team he’s assembled, the players he’s brought in from the academy nor Liverpool outside of their global fanbase and admittedly a large percentage of phoney match day going fans.

Liverpool's first team is almost as expensive as City's. Klopp has also used the same amount of academy graduates in his first team as Pep has; 1.

Nar, I used to live in hertfordshire as a boy and the number of plastics spouting off about 'we' won this, 'we're' fucking mint was beyond annoying. Genuine scouse Liverpool fans and even the forrins are generally alright tbf, it's the south eastern glory mob you hear calling in to phone ins that are insufferable.

For that reason, and because my brother is one of those plastics, I'm in for Citeh.

Name them.