Christian Atsu (1992–2023)

Kaizero

Absolutely terrible footballer is championship at best probably more suited to league 1

Yeeeeeesssssssssssss. Love how much you utterly despise Atsu, Almiron, Joelinton, the vile subhuman dog ASM, Yedlin, Gayle, Perez and Rafa.

Oh just fuck off man you absolute pleb you always point this to some xenophobic or racial issue and you're absolutely fucking wrong. What is your problem because you like to jump on everything i state and turn it into something it is not. I offer an opinion on shit footballers and let's be honest weve had a lot lately

You must be one very insecure fucker in life because you bang on about shit with me when you know nothing....patriot blah,  guns blah you're wrong in everything

Haven’t seen you this angry since Megan Rapinoe disrespected Big Don. #RafaOut

Cant be fucked with your pathetic child like responses ive recently had major surgery and have more important things going on than to even justify responses to a complete weirdo who has this warped opinion of me

You dont know me or anything about me yet act the class clown with your responses and label me as some racist xenophobic trump lover

Do you actually know how fucking wrong you are

Sorry to hear that, hope you get better soon.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
Guest HTT II
5 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

Good lad and a decent player but hes one of those that weve inexplicably held onto long past his usefulness.

And I’d say underused in ways given how many other non entities have had so much game time since he joined. 

Was useful in his first two seasons, yet another symptom of the club failing to upgrade/sell at the right time, mental that he's stayed so long. Best of luck to him.

Good player in the Championship and had some other decent-ish appearances in seasons after...fantastic man off the pitch. Some real classic goals he scored for us in the Championship. Best of luck in whatever he does after our club, I’ll always root for him. 

Edited by Kanji

Used to think he was decent, don't really understand what happened. Important in the Championship - and scored quality fk in my first away win in ages when I made it over for Cardiff - and then an important threat in our first season up - thinking of the key Stoke/West Ham away wins within about a week.

16 hours ago, Inferior Acuña said:

Used to think he was decent, don't really understand what happened. Important in the Championship - and scored quality fk in my first away win in ages when I made it over for Cardiff - and then an important threat in our first season up - thinking of the key Stoke/West Ham away wins within about a week.

Think injuries and age made him lose a bit of that burst. Championship was probably where he should have played more than in PL. but even after we signed Miggy (who then got hurt), people forget that Atsu came back into the team and actually played quite well again on the left with Rondon and Ayoze. 

There's been plenty of chat about the Chronicle's shit stories, but I have myself to blame for reading this to see what the players had gotten together and done as their classy gesture:

"Newcastle United dressing room bid classy farewell to 'key' Rafa Benitez signing'

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-rafa-benitez-signing-20722406?fbclid=IwAR3lYhvsNCNsBDmQ0adQk63YSDKZaa30ZsdsZx7YCwHRWid935ikKUmvGSM

This was it:

Club captain Jamaal Lascelles and top goalscorer both wrote [as an Instagram comment]: "All the best bro."

Academy graduate Paul Dummett commented: "Good luck Atsu."

:lol:

Edited by Inferior Acuña

Guest HTT II

Apparently he got involved in a few academy training sessions with the kids over the years voluntarily, top man!

Sounds like a really decent bloke - did a job for us in the Championship and first season back in the PL. Another player who should’ve been thanked and moved on years before he actually is.

What a moment he delivered for us at Cardiff too :fwap: 

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rafa-left-dressing-room-broken-20729529

Atsu said: "When I heard Newcastle wanted me and Rafa was the coach, I had no second thoughts.

"It was always a pleasure working with Rafa.

"Before I came here, I was told I will enjoy working with him and that was true .

"He is the best man I’ve ever work with.

"My number one.

"Both tactically and player management, he is top."

Atsu would not only go on to shine in the Sky Bet Championship but also play some of his best football in the Premier League - something he did 75 times for Newcastle.

The 29-year-old then offered an insight to Benitez's methods over his three years at the club.

He reflected: "I loved his training sessions because you will play football - always.

"He speaks with everyone.

"Those who play and who don’t play.

"He makes you feel part of the team and that’s why he is different

"What a human he is."

But things weren't always plain sailing for Newcastle and Benitez and the club wobbled in the last few games of the season in 2016/17, needing to win all three to take the title and hope that Brighton & Hove Albion slipped up.

The conversation is supposed to have moved on from Rafa but Atsu, who scored twice in the run-in to help deliver the trophy, said: "It was true we almost lost the title but Rafa never stop believing.

"I thought I was a believer until I met Rafa!

"He was encouraging us everyday and in every game.

"For me, I had to prove myself always because I wanted to sign for this great club and work under Rafa.

"I was happy to score in those important games."

Newcastle then finished 10th and 13th in their first two seasons in the Premier League - not their best finishes after a promotion but far from a disgrace.

Atsu said: "When we got promoted and finished 10th, we wanted to improve from there because we know what it means for the fans."

However, after that 13th place position in 2019, talks with Benitez did not materialise in a contract and the Spaniard moved on.

Atsu described the news within the squad when they heard the news.

He said: "We couldn’t believe he left because of the plans he has for the club and fans .

"I was very sad the way he left

"There was a broken heart for everyone

"Nothing is ever for sure in football."

Going back to Atsu's debut brings a smile as Newcastle ran riot at Loftus Road in a 6-0 win on a scorching night in West London.

Atsu said: "That was a big win for us because it was away and scoring that amount of goals was huge for us.

"The fans were also unreal the first time I heard them."

Weeks later, Atsu scored his first goal for the Magpies, away to Rotherham - again sending the travelling masses into ecstasy.

Atsu said: "I was very happy that my first goal came quickly, because it really helped me to settle well with the squad.

"And scoring in front of Newcastle fans is always something special."

Atsu's fortunes in terms of selection changed a little under Steve Bruce.

The ex-Chelsea man has no grudges against Bruce though and said: "I was happy Steve Bruce gave me some game time and I enjoyed it

"He has his style it's just that we couldn’t adjust quickly."

It meant that Atsu's final game for Newcastle came behind closed doors in a 1-0 win over Blackburn in the League Cup at St James' Park.

Days later he was left out of the squad for the Premier League season.

He said: "I didn’t know that game was my final game.

"He (Bruce) gave me a choice to stay or move on loan and I chose to stay

"I never regretted my decision."

Off the field, Atsu is a family man but never forgot his homeland, and in 2018 his charity helped build a school in Ghana.

A fund raiser on Tyneside - with fans attending - helped get the construction over the line.

He said: "For the fundraising dinner, it was the journalists who did the most work!

"I thank them for that.

"The school is almost done and I will share some pics on my social very soon."

But now Atsu's time is up at Newcastle, he is left with just one thing to say.

It's goodbye but he hopes one day to return as a supporter.

He said: "It's a great, great honour representing NUFC.

"You don’t know what It means to me and my family, really.

"My kids saw me playing here and that made me happy

"Newcastle United will remain a big club for us no matter what people say."

But Atsu's career is about to start a new chapter.

Many times Atsu joked with me in the mixed zone at Newcastle about the cold weather in the city.

Yet win, lose or draw he was always happy to relay a message to supporters.

As we sign off, I ask him where his next move will be, he quipped: "I will move to somewhere warm!"