Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

Even with a relatively s*** team in his short stint under Ashley, it still felt like a football match was something to enjoy. I'm sure the critics were right, he had tactical flaws, but his football worked better than what we've been watching in the last 10 years, and it was fun to watch.

But aren’t lots of those tactical flaws now what you might consider in the make up of a modern manager? Ie defenders who do more than just defend. Not sitting back and trying to defend a lead, Michael Owen in a position not to dissimilar to a false 9.

Yeah I think that's probably a fair call. If anything I always felt the players just didn't quite have the belief or experience of winning trophies and a few of them choked a bit at the end of the season.

Agree with that. Also think Keegan's famous man management might not have been as good as made out. Probably  didn’t handle Cole aswell as SAF. Think Pav mentioned shortly before he died Keegan said in a fairly nasty way something along the lines of” why can’t you keep us In  Games like Schmiechel”. This before a important game (might have been the 4-3) ruined his confidence completely. Think Sir Les mentioned being complacent, and ofcourse Ginola being roughed up by Dixon saw a dip in form.

On Pav:

Writing in his new book Srnicek has given his most detailed account yet of the iconic game. He said: “It may have been christened the greatest Premier League match of all time, but for me it was the worst moment and memory of my entire career. I wouldn’t care, I used to love going to Anfield.

My first game for the reserves was at Liverpool and I performed magnificently.

“I always seemed to have a good game when I visited the red side of Merseyside so I was really looking forward to the contest.”

The ex-Toon star then explained a twist in the story. He said: “Kevin was going around the dressing room prior to the kick off, having the odd word of encouragement with some of the players.

Admittedly, we’d had a mixed bag of results before this fixture but we were still confident of winning. Then, just before we went out onto the pitch, Keegan turned to me and said ‘Pav, why can’t you be more like Schmeichel, and win a game for us?

I was astounded! Those words killed me! I was deflated! After he said that, I couldn’t play.

I felt as if I’d just been smashed on the head. Anything I’d been feeling prior to that comment: adrenaline, excitement and anticipation, all of the emotions you generally experience before you run onto the pitch prior to a match, had evaporated!

“I had nothing! No strength; no confidence; no will; nothing. Keegan might as well have said ‘You’re s***! I have no faith in you’.

“I was thinking, I can’t go and play now. I needed to tell him but then I thought I have to go and play.

My head was all over the place. I couldn’t concentrate on the game. I resented Kevin at that point.

“This was one of the biggest games of the season. And he’d more or less told me I was a second rate goalkeeper.

“I had never been given any words of encouragement in all of my time at the club.

“I thought what have you ever done for me? Every time he knocked me on the floor, one way or another, I had to pick myself up, dust myself down and get on with it.”

In a crazy game at Anfield, Newcastle were twice ahead at 2-1 and 3-2 before Stan Collymore’s influence won the game for Reds.

An equaliser on 68 minutes tied the game up at 3-3 and even a point wouldn’t have been a bad result.

However, as John Barnes and Ian Rush started to exchange passes Collymore lashed home to squeeze the ball between Srnieck’s near post and his body.

Pav reflected: “Were any of the goals my fault? Maybe one of them was down to me; perhaps one of the Collymore goals.

“I just tried to spread myself the best I could but I wasn’t mentally right during the game.

The last words Kevin said to me just kept going around and around in my head all the way through the game.

“Losing the match, conceding the goals and in essence throwing away the title, they weren’t the worst things for me. It was Keegan’s words prior to going out to play; they were a hammer blow.

“I have never watched a replay or any highlights of that game because it is too painful a memory. I can still hear Kevin saying those hurtful words now. It makes me sad.

“I don’t know whether the score would’ve been any different and the course of history would’ve been changed but I would’ve been up for the game more.

“I have never discussed this with anyone before. It’s been a burden I’ve carried around with me ever since that fateful night.”

Even with a relatively s*** team in his short stint under Ashley, it still felt like a football match was something to enjoy. I'm sure the critics were right, he had tactical flaws, but his football worked better than what we've been watching in the last 10 years, and it was fun to watch.

But aren’t lots of those tactical flaws now what you might consider in the make up of a modern manager? Ie defenders who do more than just defend. Not sitting back and trying to defend a lead, Michael Owen in a position not to dissimilar to a false 9.

Yeah I think that's probably a fair call. If anything I always felt the players just didn't quite have the belief or experience of winning trophies and a few of them choked a bit at the end of the season.

Agree with that. Also think Keegan's famous man management might not have been as good as made out. Probably  didn’t handle Cole aswell as SAF. Think Pav mentioned shortly before he died Keegan said in a fairly nasty way something along the lines of” why can’t you keep us In  Games like Schmiechel”. This before a important game (might have been the 4-3) ruined his confidence completely. Think Sir Les mentioned being complacent, and ofcourse Ginola being roughed up by Dixon saw a dip in form.

Cole performed fine for Kev, he wasn't there for our title push season anyway. I was thinking more of the likes of Ferdinand and Lee who had been on fire in the first half of the season but both of them dried up a bit on the goals in the latter part of it. I think a bit of doubt crept in for a lot of players, and tbf you could argue some of them were already playing above themselves.

We were a soft touch at times when we blew the league. Forget the games we usually think of that season, away games at Wimbledon, West Ham, Man City & typically Southampton spring to mind where we dropped points either through not being strong enough mentally or we just didn’t turn up.

+

think it was mental to be honest. Not that we lacked it but we lacked the history to back up our belief. I don't think anybody expected Keegan's belief to be tested so soon.

On Pav:

Writing in his new book Srnicek has given his most detailed account yet of the iconic game. He said: “It may have been christened the greatest Premier League match of all time, but for me it was the worst moment and memory of my entire career. I wouldn’t care, I used to love going to Anfield.

My first game for the reserves was at Liverpool and I performed magnificently.

“I always seemed to have a good game when I visited the red side of Merseyside so I was really looking forward to the contest.”

The ex-Toon star then explained a twist in the story. He said: “Kevin was going around the dressing room prior to the kick off, having the odd word of encouragement with some of the players.

Admittedly, we’d had a mixed bag of results before this fixture but we were still confident of winning. Then, just before we went out onto the pitch, Keegan turned to me and said ‘Pav, why can’t you be more like Schmeichel, and win a game for us?

I was astounded! Those words killed me! I was deflated! After he said that, I couldn’t play.

I felt as if I’d just been smashed on the head. Anything I’d been feeling prior to that comment: adrenaline, excitement and anticipation, all of the emotions you generally experience before you run onto the pitch prior to a match, had evaporated!

“I had nothing! No strength; no confidence; no will; nothing. Keegan might as well have said ‘You’re s***! I have no faith in you’.

“I was thinking, I can’t go and play now. I needed to tell him but then I thought I have to go and play.

My head was all over the place. I couldn’t concentrate on the game. I resented Kevin at that point.

“This was one of the biggest games of the season. And he’d more or less told me I was a second rate goalkeeper.

“I had never been given any words of encouragement in all of my time at the club.

“I thought what have you ever done for me? Every time he knocked me on the floor, one way or another, I had to pick myself up, dust myself down and get on with it.”

In a crazy game at Anfield, Newcastle were twice ahead at 2-1 and 3-2 before Stan Collymore’s influence won the game for Reds.

An equaliser on 68 minutes tied the game up at 3-3 and even a point wouldn’t have been a bad result.

However, as John Barnes and Ian Rush started to exchange passes Collymore lashed home to squeeze the ball between Srnieck’s near post and his body.

Pav reflected: “Were any of the goals my fault? Maybe one of them was down to me; perhaps one of the Collymore goals.

“I just tried to spread myself the best I could but I wasn’t mentally right during the game.

The last words Kevin said to me just kept going around and around in my head all the way through the game.

“Losing the match, conceding the goals and in essence throwing away the title, they weren’t the worst things for me. It was Keegan’s words prior to going out to play; they were a hammer blow.

“I have never watched a replay or any highlights of that game because it is too painful a memory. I can still hear Kevin saying those hurtful words now. It makes me sad.

“I don’t know whether the score would’ve been any different and the course of history would’ve been changed but I would’ve been up for the game more.

“I have never discussed this with anyone before. It’s been a burden I’ve carried around with me ever since that fateful night.”

Where’s that from?

Odd how the ghost of Pav is so much more into commercial deals and quotes than when he was with us.

Pav was loved up here but between him, Hooper & Shak you’d struggle to make the keeper we needed. Those quotes from Pav suggest how fragile he was & I very much doubt that KK delivered those words in a negative way.

Look up the game at Southampton the year before we blew the league. I vividly remember sitting in my car waiting to pick my girlfriend up listening to the end of the game, 1-0 up, thinking at last we’d win down there (obviously not knowing there’d be years more disappointment) and we conceded 3 goals in the last 4 minutes. All 3 goals were comedy, Pav should have been replaced at the end of that season.

Look up the game at Southampton the year before we blew the league. I vividly remember sitting in my car waiting to pick my girlfriend up listening to the end of the game, 1-0 up, thinking at last we’d win down there (obviously not knowing there’d be years more disappointment) and we conceded 3 goals in the last 4 minutes. All 3 goals were comedy, Pav should have been replaced at the end of that season.

How on earth do I not remember this game !

Pav was loved up here but between him, Hooper & Shak you’d struggle to make the keeper we needed. Those quotes from Pav suggest how fragile he was & I very much doubt that KK delivered those words in a negative way.

People always talk about our defence letting us down in the Keegan era, but actually a top class keeper would have made a massive difference.  Had we had a Schmeichel/Seaman/Martyn level keeper we would have won the league.

Was absolute stuff of dreams when world superstar KK signed for 2nd division US as a player.

Just been looking back pages trying to find some story about him going to play in the US...American.. 2nd division before I realized what this was saying.

Sorry for the confusion. Still amazed that he'd had such an illustrious career and joined NUFC at the time, when we'd struggled for years and seemed devoid of hope.

Not dismissing the discussion, but we only conceded 2 more goals than ManU, whereas we scored 7 fewer.

Pav and Shaka were perfectly fine keepers, rarely conceding goals that they 'should' have been saving. However they also rarely put in performances where they were pulling out saves that they shouldn't be making, and that in a few games that season could have made all the difference. 5 of our 8 defeats were by 1 goal with a further 6 draws (4 being 1-1)

I'm not sure Martyn would have made that much of a difference, but a Flowers or Seaman probably win us the league.

Not dismissing the discussion, but we only conceded 2 more goals than ManU, whereas we scored 7 fewer.

Pav and Shaka were perfectly fine keepers, rarely conceding goals that they 'should' have been saving. However they also rarely put in performances where they were pulling out saves that they shouldn't be making, and that in a few games that season could have made all the difference. 5 of our 8 defeats were by 1 goal with a further 6 draws (4 being 1-1)

I'm not sure Martyn would have made that much of a difference, but a Flowers or Seaman probably win us the league.

Southgate for £3-4m from Palace in 1995 would have been handy.

I agree. That was a big miss.

I agree. That was a big miss.

Even if it was a budget thing, could have signed him rather than Warren Barton, Watson first-choice right-back and kept Hottiger or Venison as back up for an extra year? All obviously with hindsight, like. :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

KK was tactically way ahead of his time when he was our manager first time around and we were not poor defensively, we were brilliant a both ends, we just lacked leadership and experience. Had he stayed we would have eventually won a title and been a force in Europe.