Video Assistant Referees (VAR)

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

refs should have 30 seconds to check the offside lines - if they cant make their minds up in that time - should be left as being called onside.

VAR should get one look at a replay and if they can't make a decision attacker gets the advantage.

It's video assisted refereeing not video and felt tip assisted.

One look in normal time and the TV companies should do the same with their replays. One of the reasons VAR & goal-line technology came in was because of the technology of the TV companies showing up incorrect decisions with their umpteen angles, super slo-mo replays and fancy graphics. Made me laugh Lineker hating VAR when he was in a studio for BBC & BT pulling apart any decision. SSN even have a segment every week where an ex-ref scrutinises everything. Maybe if they backed down proving everything wrong, referees would have a bit more freedom to make the right call...but then you get the whole 'big club bias' argument and you're back to square one.

It was introduced to eliminate clear and obvious errors. If you can't tell straight away then it's hardly a clear and obvious error. It's not complicated.

Yeah but my point is, how many times in the studio would they show everything to show it was wrong, etc? If that didn’t happen then maybe the refs could crack on and make a decision. If we go to clear & obvious, you’ll still get these using all their technology and angles to show something was still wrong. Get rid of that side of analysis and maybe it could work like that.

Yeah but my point is, how many times in the studio would they show everything to show it was wrong, etc? If that didn’t happen then maybe the refs could crack on and make a decision. If we go to clear & obvious, you’ll still get these using all their technology and angles to show something was still wrong. Get rid of that side of analysis and maybe it could work like that.

The game should be decided on the pitch not in the studio. I never watch the analysis so they can do whatever they want, for me.

• 1 month later...

This is a disgrace and is genuinely diminishing my enjoyment of the sport that I grew up loving. That is all I will say.

I totally agree. It’s not like any football that I know. It’s a different game if that’s a pen.

The new handball rule is easily the worst rule change we’ve ever seen. It’s going to be like that eggball nonsense where they fuck about trying to get more pens than eachother.

Pretty much. It’s a rule thought about and brought in by people who have never played the game.

I have said it before, unless it’s deliberate, it should be an indirect freekick.

Wasn't VAR meant for clear and obvious errors? Not looking at things in stupidly small details to see if the exact rule is broken. As for the handball rule, surely its only a foul if you gain and advantage from it?

It’s ruining the whole game but I don’t think there’s a way of putting it back now it’s out of Pandora’s box.

Very easy to force change - if all the clubs agree to pass the penalty to the opposition keeper instead of taking a shot, the PL would act within a week.

It’s ruining the whole game but I don’t think there’s a way of putting it back now it’s out of Pandora’s box.

Very easy to force change - if all the clubs agree to pass the penalty to the opposition keeper instead of taking a shot, the PL would act within a week.

except they won't agree to that, hell they'll all be adopting the strategy of aiming at arms instead of the goal

except they won't agree to that, hell they'll all be adopting the strategy of aiming at arms instead of the goal

Of course, too much self interest. They'd rather take advantage of it than try to restore the integrity of the game.

But if they wanted to, they could force change