Open Wide For Some Soccer!

Mike

• 3 months later...

Surprised he's being moved to the wing, but the writing was on the wall he wouldn't be a right back for us. Switching to the Pep system where the right-back is essentially a center midfielder. Maybe the extra crossing every match will help him...

I was initially all “boo! *hiss*” about this move because it means moving Adams out of midfield, where he’s played really well for Leipzig. But I’m feeling better about it after hearing Berhalter’s rationale. Don’t know if it will come off as he intends, but at least it makes sense. Way different than Klinsmann’s random shoe-horning of players into unnatural positions:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/03/19/warshaw-move-right-back-tyler-adams-could-be-unleashed

Only thing I'm not comfortable with is doing it to force Trapp or Bradley in midfield, with two young center mids it feels like we shouldn't have to rely on them as starters, but oh well. Either way, if we're playing a formation where the right back moves into midfield then Yedlin wouldn't be able to do it, so I guess it has to happen.

Yeah I hear that. Bradley at this point is a slightly-more-athletic Kyle Beckerman at 31 and I think Trapp is pretty one-dimensional as well. I’m interested to see how this formation shakes out this week against stronger opposition.

The Adams role is confusing af though :lol:

:lol: I’m not gonna pretend I understand the necessity for it. As opposed to, you know, just playing two box-2-box central midfielders (Adams and McKennie) and a traditional right back (Yedlin). As A-toon noted, it seems like Berhalter really wants to get Bradley and/or Trapp in the lineup but knows both are limited players.

But hey, whatever works. :lol:

I caught most of the second half, so missed the first 15 minutes which everyone said was good. Nice to see a coherent plan, our forward line is pretty horrible though :lol:

Hopefully Mckennie is okay, too

Which to me says we’d be best served putting Pulisic wide left ala Hazard, with a midfield three of Adams, McKennie, Trapp/Bradley. I like Arriola on the right wing.

Fuck knas who our striker is gonna be. :lol:

• 1 month later...

Very good news, he’s apparently had an excellent half-season in Turkey.

New Zealand-born forward Tyler Boyd has been approved to switch affiliation to the United States by FIFA.

Boyd, 24, scored five goals and had four assists in 13 games for Ankaragucu, in Turkey's top division, in the second half of the season on loan from Portugal's Vitoria Guimaraes.

Boyd played for New Zealand at the 2013 Under-20 World Cup and made his debut for the senior national team in Japan in 2014. He has played six international matches, all exhibitions.

The U.S. Soccer Federation announced on Saturday that soccer's international governing body had approved Boyd's application.

Sorry, Kiwis.

New Zealand-born forward Tyler Boyd has been approved to switch affiliation to the United States by FIFA.

Boyd, 24, scored five goals and had four assists in 13 games for Ankaragucu, in Turkey's top division, in the second half of the season on loan from Portugal's Vitoria Guimaraes.

Boyd played for New Zealand at the 2013 Under-20 World Cup and made his debut for the senior national team in Japan in 2014. He has played six international matches, all exhibitions.

The U.S. Soccer Federation announced on Saturday that soccer's international governing body had approved Boyd's application.

Sorry, Kiwis.

:lol:

The question you'll want to ask yourself is why we didn't pick him for 5 years during an entire World Cup qualification cycle - friendly or otherwise, and why he couldn't get off the bench for the Phoenix in the A-League (a standard of football that makes the MLS look like the Champions League) before he left. 

Sorry, Kiwis.

:lol:

The question you'll want to ask yourself is why we didn't pick him for 5 years during an entire World Cup qualification cycle - friendly or otherwise, and why he couldn't get off the bench for the Phoenix in the A-League (a standard of football that makes the MLS look like the Champions League) before he left. 

:lol: look I dunno about any of that. Glad to have another player in the pool.

• 2 weeks later...

What a f*cking mess. However, this should be tempered with the fact that the best players were not chosen and the up and coming young talent were away at the U20 WC (including Weah).