Worst PL Game Ever Played

Mike

All round just terrible games I've been to that I can recall;

Pretty much all of our defeats at home to Leicester since they came up, every single performance in that fixture has been utterly vile.

The mackem defeats at SJP.

All of the home defeats in the Championship, we tended to beat ourselves by being so shit.

The 0-6 defeat to Liverpool in the following home game after the first 0-3 to the mackems.

0-4 defeat to Spurs at SJP, it was midweek, fucking freezing and tipping it down.

McClaren's last game, the 1-3 at home to Bournemouth. Didn't hurt by the following Friday as it meant Benitez was brought in.

5-1 defeat to Pardew's Palace.

And that's all from just the top of my head. :lol:

I've been really fortunate on the whole with games in the flesh; certainly more good than bad. I can remember some inoffensive dull ones in the 09/10 Championship season - think we drew 0-0 at home to both Derby and Bristol City - but they were all just a means to an end, really. We were unbeaten at home after all.

Stoke 1-2, Blackburn 1-2 (Barton punched Pedersen) in the first season back were both rubbish, and the West Brom 3-3 on the last day was a pisser as well, but as bad as they were, there's been so many worse days.

The Allardyce 0-2 against Man City and the two Hull games in 08/09 are probably the top 3 worst ones. Particularly the cup Hull game which was a truly dreadful game of association soccer. That's probably the pinnacle tbh, if I had to say one.

1-0 loss away to Villa, James Collins scored a header from a free kick, in the white away kit not long after we sold Carroll. Pretty certain that the goal was the only chance of any kind in the whole match, I reckon if they had xG back then the two teams put together might have scraped 0.15 or something.

• 1 month later...

Not worst PL game, but worst game I've ever been to for sheer pain for Partizan Belgrade in Champs League Qualifier at home.

I was high as fuck (terrible mistake), and we didn't play that well, and felt so empty after the pen loss. Almost cried. Really, really tough moment.

massive turning point for the club.

just felt empty for days.

• 1 month later...

Defeats only hurt me when it feels like the club is going somewhere (Keegan, Sir Bob and sort of Rafa). Under normal circumstances I'm numb to the pain.

Losing in the UEFA Cup semi final to Marseille was awful. I was praying Bobby would rest Woodgate and keep him fresh for the game. He played him and he inevitably got injured. And then Drogba took the piss out of Andy O'Brien.

The most painful game in anyone's memory though must be losing to Man U 1-0 in 1996. We absolutely fucking caned them but couldn't score. We did the same again a few months later and won 5-0. Rotten luck.