Lee Charnley

Dave

There isn't a single way to figure out the net cost of transfer Crayola - unless there is a Deloitte or similar independent auditor report that gives an average of the transaction costs to doing a deal. Which always be a % of the amount being publicized versus the amount actually recorded on the books. Assume transaction costs = travel, agent fees, player sign-on bonus, etc. 

For sure, the thing is, we all know there are costs but the 'net figure' posts and websites dedicated to 'net figures' never include them.  Elephant in the room.  Net figures as they are given are useful to get a picture of what is being spent and in what direction the investment is going but they arent all they are supposed to be?

If you want to use your graphs (that fooled you last season) to convince yourself that that is no longer the approach, that's up to you.

:lol:

I've been pretty consistent in saying Pardew is was and always has been a s*** manager, from the day we brought him in.

Some of his "excuses" have been valid and some of the specific criticisms against him weren't valid imo.

The fact he's run out of excuses and stopped winning the bare minimum of games to avoid full throated "Pardew Out" at home games has nowt to do with my graphs.

People just seem to like the graphs that bash him/Ashley and dislike the ones that show where they've not actually been too bad.

Yes, because they enforce something we all put above graphs; our gut.

Aye,  Like George Bush, people like to go with their gut.

Stats matter when they support my argument but they don't matter when it doesn't.

If I get a gut feeling I like it if I can look at the stats too, if they support what I felt in my gut then I have evidence, if not then I either need to reconsider or have someone tell me where my stats have misrepresented my view.

Wrong to just disregard.

Wullie has provided a perfectly reasonable explanation of why sales haven't been as high as previously.  Doesn't alter the fact we've been buying too.  You'd expect that with the TV deal though.

Guest firetotheworks

I just don't agree that stats are needed as an indicator, but that they supplement a human or professional response. Stats come in handy to highlight things, definitely and they come in handy when there are fine lines, but when they're stats that fly in the face of the perversely obvious, I don't think there's any point.

I just don't agree that stats are needed as an indicator, but that they supplement a human or professional response. Stats come in handy to highlight things, definitely and they come in handy when there are fine lines, but when they're stats that fly in the face of the perversely obvious, I don't think there's any point.

It's only obvious if it's your view.

Some racists gut feeling would say it's obvious that black people can't swim.  It's clear that no olympic champions are black etc.

Non racists would say the evidence of statistical analysis says black people are equally capable of swimming but that fewer black people are taught to swim.

...anyway whenever discussion turns to the inherent validity of stats then I bow out.  Prefer the discussion around what the stats suggest (or not).

No doubt I'll be back with another chart sooner or later :)

:thup:

He's done a good job so far and deserves our support until proven otherwise. I like him, seems intelligent and seen a lot go on at this club and I'm sure he's already learned from others experiences.

I'm prepared to give him a chance, he's our best bet of a stable and successful club right now.

well those pithy zings have convinced me; collecting and organizing data points over time is just a waste of effort and completely useless in all circumstances :lol:

4 months ago my avatar was changed to the good Terminator and folk were asking me to produce a list of the worst stats available on Pardew to publicise, because I was looking at how badly he was doing.

:laugh:

You can't please all of the people all of the time.

• 3 weeks later...

He's done a good job so far and deserves our support until proven otherwise. I like him, seems intelligent and seen a lot go on at this club and I'm sure he's already learned from others experiences.

I'm prepared to give him a chance, he's our best bet of a stable and successful club right now.

Might be time to review this :lol: