Lee Charnley

Dave

Considering players retiring, being sold and finishing loan spells amounts to 1 or 2 players per transfer window over the course of the year, how exactly is that level of investment 'strengthening'? Particularly when we don't buy players based on what we need for the squad, but what's on offer in the bargain bin and may be worth more in a year's time?

Can you imagine being a manager turning up for the interview after Pardew goes? When you're used to hearing enthusiastic pitches about a club's vision, their plan for how to progress and improve, challenge for things above their station in 2, 5, 10 years time? And you're told your job is to try and tread water in the premier league with the smallest squad possible by avoiding extra games in the cup or Europe.

One player per window considering the current state of the squad is pathetic.  The fact they're even comfortable coming out and saying this is an indication of how far we have fallen, the absolute lack of ambition and the apathy surrounding the club.

Again. Only playing devil's advocate. But what should they be saying? "We's gon sign alllll the players!"?

I hope to fuck that it's just standard press officer bollocks, and we start doing our business on the quiet again, and bring in much needed reinforcements.

I am an idiot though so take nothing from the straws I clutch at.

One player per window considering the current state of the squad is pathetic.  The fact they're even comfortable coming out and saying this is an indication of how far we have fallen, the absolute lack of ambition and the apathy surrounding the club.

Again. Only playing devil's advocate. But what should they be saying? "We's gon sign alllll the players!"?

I hope to fuck that it's just standard press officer bollocks, and we start doing our business on the quiet again, and bring in much needed reinforcements.

This myth still floating about then.

Standard press officer bollocks is to big up the club and try and make out you've got some ambition and hopes.  I don't think any press officer outside of Newcastle has ever come out and said 'we don't give a fuck and we're not gonna invest anything over the bare minimum for survival so stick it up yer hoop'.

I hope to f*** that it's just standard press officer bollocks, and we start doing our business on the quiet again, and bring in much needed reinforcements.

This myth still floating about then.

tbf we did sign a few players that slipped under the radar until their confirmation/MA wore their name on his shirt. i'm so sick of the hullabaloo that surrounded the Remy/Gomis/Grenier/Cabella sagas. Prefer to do them the way we did Tiote, Cisse, Anita(ish) etc..

If it's 'adding' one or two new players to the squad per season going forward, after this summer I'd say that's fine, but I can't see how this can apply to this coming window when there'll be about 5 or 6 going out the door.  For every one we lose we must at least sign a replacement.  Surely even they must be aware that would leave the squad severely short, when it's already severely lacking in depth as of now!

Perhaps this is just poor wording of the statement?

Considering players retiring, being sold and finishing loan spells amounts to 1 or 2 players per transfer window over the course of the year, how exactly is that level of investment 'strengthening'? Particularly when we don't buy players based on what we need for the squad, but what's on offer in the bargain bin and may be worth more in a year's time?

Can you imagine being a manager turning up for the interview after Pardew goes? When you're used to hearing enthusiastic pitches about a club's vision, their plan for how to progress and improve, challenge for things above their station in 2, 5, 10 years time? And you're told your job is to try and tread water in the premier league with the smallest squad possible by avoiding extra games in the cup or Europe.

worse still, can you imagine being a decent international player with ambition who has to choose between the likes of us and Southampton or similar.

I hope to f*** that it's just standard press officer bollocks, and we start doing our business on the quiet again, and bring in much needed reinforcements.

Why does it have to be extreme? Could easily have been "our aim is to break the top four at newcastle united and to compete on all fronts. We will achieve this through investment in the first team squad and at youth team level and ensure that newcastle united is where it deserves to be in English football"

:snod: If only SanToon wrote our press releases

Why does it have to be extreme? Could easily have been "our aim is to break the top four at newcastle united and to compete on all fronts. We will achieve this through investment in the first team squad and at youth team level and ensure that newcastle united is where it deserves to be in English football"

:snod: If only SanToon wrote our press releases

I'd have to see pardew a lot though. It wouldn't be worth it

Put in your contract you're allowed to break his face if he opens his mouth within 5 yards of you.

• 3 months later...

Further cements the fact you can't believe anything the club say, even when the result is positive i.e. them ditching the plan of bringing in no more than the "one or two" players and filling in the rest of the holes with reserves.

Further cements the fact you can't believe anything the club say, even when the result is positive i.e. them ditching the plan of bringing in no more than the "one or two" players and filling in the rest of the holes with reserves.

Like I said when he was appointed talk of rebuilding only unsettles the team and drives up prices.

Fair play? Good job? So we've actually organised a seemingly half decent pre season and spent some money the club itself has actually generated, and all is swept under the rug? :lol:

Congrats on doing the bare minimum

Fair play? Good job? So we've actually organised a seemingly half decent pre season and spent some money the club itself has actually generated, and all is swept under the rug? :lol:

Congrats on doing the bare minimum

Getting 7 signings done is decent work imo.