Miguel Almirón

Deuce

Would rather see Muto given the opportunity but judging from what Rafa said in the past, not entirely sure he sees him as capable of filling that wide support role. Atsu seems like a lovely bloke from his charitable stuff and has decent ability but realistically don't think he's cut out to be a consistent PL standard player.

Almiron and Perez both come inside and act as some sort of second striker, the latter especially hence all of the goals he gets. Almiron stays wide a lot more than Perez though, probably due to the fact that he has 2 men on him every time he receives the ball with the defending team in front of him, so it pulls 2 defenders out towards him creating space behind for a runner. I can't see Muto having that same effect if he goes into Almiron's role so we'd have to rely on Ritchie getting forward a lot more for putting crosses into the box.

Noticed this on Twitter, why are people making out that Perez and Almiron play in different positions? They play in different styles obviously, Perez doesn't have the pace to get in behind like Miggy but he's a better poacher.

Ultimately, Muto should be fine coming in but I just think Atsu is next in line. God knows why, he's offered nowt recently.

Atsu's fine, I think. End product poor more often than not but he's been okay when he's come in.

Really, he couldn't hit a barn door? He has a bit of pace but really does anything with it.

Atsu's fine, I think. End product poor more often than not but he's been okay when he's come in.

Really, he couldn't hit a barn door? He has a bit of pace but really does anything with it.

When we went to a sort of 5-3-2 with him with more of a free role in that midfield behind Rondon and Perez before Almiron arrived I thought he was alright. Nowt more or less though. We need a quick(ish) player to carry the ball forward either on a break or to relieve pressure. I haven't seen Muto too much to know if he's quick enough to perform such a role but Atsu can, quality actually on the ball aside.

Our third tier neighbours who are obsessed with him should read this thread!

Sorry mate, the usual suspects have decreed he's a waste of money. Not only that but they've repeated it frequently on social media, so it's a fact.

Also by applying the same logic, it's now a well established fact on Wearyside that Simon Grayson and Jack Dross are better coaches than Rafa Benitez.

Aye people forget that we had already had a big upturn in form when Atsu came into the team when we changed system

• 2 weeks later...

Strange inclusion imo, pretty high-profile signing and lots of focus & analysis has been done on him from opposing fans & the media since. Same with a few inclusions in there such as Anderson & Fraser, both pretty highly praised this season.

Of our players, Hayden, Schar & Lejeune/Dummett are the unsung heroes. In fact, you never hear Lejeune mentioned by anyone but our fans despite being easily one of our best players.

I think a lot of people just take their clues from commentary and after match punditry, which is usually as skewed as fuck. In short they wouldn't recognise an unsung hero if they sat watching game after game.

Yourtub "Miguel Almirón | Season Review 2019" and compare that with Atsu since his injury. He changes us as a team so incredibly much. Can't wait to see him next seasaon (if Rafa stays).

Excited to see more of him. He's a lot more physically capable than I anticipated. Lightning quick and can really take a strong challenge without folding. Going to be a quality player for us for years to come of Rafa stays.

Yourtub "Miguel Almirón | Season Review 2019" and compare that with Atsu since his injury. He changes us as a team so incredibly much. Can't wait to see him next seasaon (if Rafa stays).

If not, welcome him at left back with an almost certainly new clownlike incumbent.

:pardsgrin: