Christian Atsu (1992–2023)

Kaizero

Everything was shit last night, so it seems harsh to single him out.  The tactics, the players being shit scared to try anything, the slow one paced nature of the team.  The lot, basically.  All that said, Atsu seemed to be the worst of the lot.  To follow up one of the worst sub apps in recent NUFC memory against Spurs, he turns in that performance? 

He just isn't very good or up to playing at a high level.  Which you can say about most of the squad, I suppose.

Guest Howaythetoon

He was shocking and it’s hard to see where he goes from here. He worked hard or tried to and did play one delightful clipped ball in, but gave it away so many times and was easily dispossessed.

Another one not good enough ultimately, even for where we are at.

In his defence without excusing his performance, a winger needs a run of games to build up form and to have a positive affect, they also need decent full-backs behind them to link up with.

Our game plan and how we are set up only benefits someone like Atsu’s own game in an attacking sense late on in games or against stretched and tired legs and even then he will need found or played in have the energy to get forward at pace.

As things stand he is constantly tracking back, holding a position or not seeing the ball enough (like many others I might add) and when he does as is often the case isolated and up against one or more defenders miles away from the final 3rd.

He doesn’t have the all-round skills of Kennedy who can do both sides of our game (even then it restricts is own game in ways) or the passing ability of Ritchie to make up for other deficiencies.

I think he was initialy bought because Rafa wanted us to play a certain way and he would make a good squad player to come in presumably over someone better when injured or suspended to help us keep playing that way.

Rafa has had to shelve all that as we all know, however, in favour of a more defensive, narrower pressing and counter attacking game due to not having the kind of quality like Kennedy who remember he wanted in January of our Championship season, in lots of other areas.

He’s 25 or something now, time to cut our losses or if Rafa wants a challenge see if he can be moulded into an attacking right-back or full-back as part of a back 5...

A lot of what I’ve written also applies to Murphy too who I actually rate and think unlike Atsu is someone whose game can be changed or that he can adapt. He too needs games though. Asking a winger to turn it on in fist and starts be it competing off the bench every week or starting th odd game is like asking a striker to be your top scorer from the bench.

He was shocking and it’s hard to see where he goes from here, another one not good enough ultimately, even for where we are at.

In his defence, a winger needs a run of games to build up form and to have a positive affect. I think he was initially bought because Rafa wanted us to play a certain way and he would make a good squad player.

A lot of what I’ve written also applies to Murphy too who I actually rate and think unlike Atsu is someone whose game can be changed or that he can adapt.

fyp

• 1 month later...