Michael Owen (now retired)

Keefaz

One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?  

648 members have voted

1. 1. One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?

• I envy the deaf.

Probably, id be far far more suprised if he didnt.

Think his goal/games ratio is only behind Defoe of all England strikers this season once again. Probably because hes still a world class striker of the highest order.

Don't think so. Rooney, Defoe and Heskey are nailed on and I think Capello will want to take someone who could cover Heskey's role, probably Crouch or Carlton Cole. Even if there was a 5th striker taken I think Bent and Agbonlahor are ahead of him at the moment.

Even when he was banging them in for us he didn't get a look in under Capello.

I think Capello sees through him. If he doesn't score he gives you nothing and if we're going to beat the Brazils and the Italys we can't afford to be carrying people.

If he's going to make it to the world cup he needs to be playing and scoring regularly. So far this season that looks unlikely. As many predicted he has been a peripheral figure at Man Utd and looks like he was brought in to spread the load and provide an option off the bench. Then there's the issue of his fitness  - Capello only wants fully fit players. Owen needs regular games to get in the England squad but regular games tend to leave him crocked.

There has been somewhat of a breakout this season for England strikers, and I think it would be crazy to take a step back by re-introducing this has been to the team now. He's been out of the frame internationally now for so long that it really would be pointless. He plays once every three/four games for Man U for goodness sake.

Defoe, Bent and Carlton Cole have had very impressive starts and really have been outstanding. Heskey was involved throughout qualifying and Capello knows what he will get from him and considers him to be very valuable. Crouch has consistently performed for England for a good while now. Then you have the likes of Agbonlahor and Walcott who can be very dangerous of the bench late in games when defenders start to tire, with their pace and unpredictability.

Taking Owen would be a silly move imo.

Probably, id be far far more suprised if he didnt.

Think his goal/games ratio is only behind Defoe of all England strikers this season once again. Probably because hes still a world class striker of the highest order.

:lol:

A fit and in-form Owen is a decent option on any bench.

This. And thats why I think he will make the squad. He maybe won't get many minutes at the WC but if England needs a goal in the last 15 mins or so than he's one of the best options you can get imo.

A fit and in-form Owen is a decent option on any bench.

This. And thats why I think he will make the squad. He maybe won't get many minutes at the WC but if England needs a goal in the last 15 mins or so than he's one of the best options you can get imo.

This is the only half-decent argument for including him in the squad, but I still wouldn't take him along. Now that he's lost that sharpness, he misses just as many chances as he scores.

He actually seems to be slipping down the pecking order at Man U.

I think his Man U form will end up putting an end to his World Cup dreams as he won't score enough goals against premier teams however many he notches against inferior sides in the cups. If Man U fail to win the Championship, Owen's lack of meaningful contribution will be seen as a massive drawback.

Anyone but Capello would have caved in by now, so thats encouraging. But I still wonder if, when push comes to shove, he thinks Owen might be useful. It also depends how much momentum the media gives him come April/May.....would Capello bow to people power?? I'd like to think not.

Owen =  :angry:

Nah. Defoe, Rooney, Crouch, Heskey and Walcott as a winger/striker for me.

Out of interest, given their respective seasons, why should Walcott be ahead of Owen? Wright Phillips and Lennon have impressed on the wings. Milner and Young would also be ahead of Walcott imo, at this current stage.