West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's too simplistic to talk about him turning his back on the club.  It's a short career, and if he's to be believed he's being told he's not wanted by his current employer, and there's a prospective employer prepared to pay £35m for him and almost treble his wage.  £14m over 5 years.  He knows that contract negotiations at Mike Ashley's Newcastle are going to be few and far between, and that if he scored 25 goals a season for the next 4 year, he'd still not get £80k a week out of Ashley.  Which makes his decision a no brainer, once they told him they wouldn't open up negotiations with him.

And whether he was told he was not wanted is up for debate, but having seen Lambias's crack in the paper today, it wouldn't surprise me at all.  These blokes are despicable c***s and I don't understand how ANY Newcastle fan can give them the time of day.

Whilst all that obviously is true, people are still entitled to be upset about the manner/timing of him leaving. And it's far too simplistic to just assume that means support for the board.

Laying the blame solely with the player is mental imo.  Whether it indicates support for the Board or not.

Is there any blame anywhere? We accepted a massive offer for a player we couldn't afford to keep in terms of wage demands, Carroll took a massive contract at a good club. Maybe we could have replaced him but then again it took 6 months to replace Andy Cole leaving us with Paul Kitson under Hall & Keegan, and we took 4 months to replace Woodgate leaving us with O'Brien, Bramble & Ronnie Johnsen under Shepherd & Robson. These things happen in football, and has happened to us under much better chairmen & managers.

He's a football player, not some comic book hero.  And football players are almost all thick, young and greedy.  NUFC were his employer, not his 'family'.

A squad shouldn't be held together through fairy dust and local sentiment.  The people that run the club have to demonstrate that they are serious about success by keeping the players (and the manager) responsible for making it possible.

Yup.

Exactly and it's not like the club stuck by him with court cases hanging over his head or anything like that.

Guest guinness_fiend

The poll on this thread tells a story though.

Same old story then... laying any blame on Carroll = support for the owners :rolleyes:

Laying the blame exclusively on Carroll, as 44% have done, shows an inability to assess the situation at best.  Support for the owner at worst.

You are an accountant? 44% = exclusive? Interesting thought process. (edit, re-read it, though there is a problem with the question. Personally I lay the blame with Carroll more than the other options having seen Mac, Waddle etc leave. At least they had an excuse.  Carroll is a greedy cock. The lad is c***. So is the owner

One-up fail.

He's a football player, not some comic book hero.  And football players are almost all thick, young and greedy.  NUFC were his employer, not his 'family'.

A squad shouldn't be held together through fairy dust and local sentiment.  The people that run the club have to demonstrate that they are serious about success by keeping the players (and the manager) responsible for making it possible.

Love the American sports phrase "Franchise player" for me Carroll was ours.

The concept of a "franchise" player is also contractual.  US sports teams can basically prevent certain important players from being transferred through free agency.  

It would never be allowed in English football because the UK media have decided that there are 4 or 5 real football clubs and the rest are feeders.  Can you imagine if English clubs could actually keep the talent they discover or produce?  

Guest guinness_fiend

He's a football player, not some comic book hero.  And football players are almost all thick, young and greedy.  NUFC were his employer, not his 'family'.

A squad shouldn't be held together through fairy dust and local sentiment.  The people that run the club have to demonstrate that they are serious about success by keeping the players (and the manager) responsible for making it possible.

The concept of a "franchise" player is also contractual.  US sports teams can basically prevent certain important players from being transferred through free agency.  

It would never be allowed in English football because the UK media have decided that there are 4 or 5 real football clubs and the rest are feeders.  Can you imagine if English clubs could actually keep the talent they discover or produce?  

Love the American sports phrase "Franchise player" for me Carroll was ours.

It's nothing to do with the press.  The EU courts would be all over it in seconds.  What clubs should do is sue any player that submits a transfer request prior to the expiration of their current contract (and assuming that it is a unilateral request) for breach of contract.  That way, even if they do leave (the club mitigating some of its loss by selling the player), it may be awarded additional costs (shirt sales etc).

Agree with Gemmil.

I dont really understand the bitterness towards Carroll really to the extent that some on here have it. Its crap that he agreed to go, but put in his position all footballers would make that choice. Thats the world they live in.

the problem is he cries in the chronicle and to wraith i didn't want to go oh woe is me etc etc when he could have quite easily not gone there is no way he could have been forced out

I dont believe he did want to go. He couldnt quite easily turn down such a massive wage increase & the differences in valuation of his worth as a player from both clubs. We made no attempt to keep him and basically told him to leave. He wasnt literally forced out no, but he probably feels like he was forced to change his mind as to whether he wanted to stay here.

He was told they'd renegotiate his contract in the summer,which 3 months after signing a new one seems reasonable to me tbh.

I'd not even heard that, but assuming it's true, would you believe it?  Derek Lambias and Mike Ashley sat grinning at you and telling you "Don't worry Andy, we'll deal with this little matter in the summer."

On top of all of their other lies?

I'm assuming that there would have had to have been something signed legally to ensure negotiations in the summer would take place.

What is unforgivable by Ashley and Llambias is that instead of strengthening an already paper-thin squad,they weakened it.We were patently obvious short of quality up front and he effectively moved 2 strikers on,without replenishing and strengthening further.

I hope it doesn't cost us our Premiership place,but adding injury to insult with Shola crocked until the middle of March at least,it easily could.

People say that Carroll's sale was planned,I don't buy that.Would he really have let Xisco and Routledge go if that was the case?

Liverpool were not going to let Torres go until they got AC. We let AC go so we could get the cash in.

If Liverpool hadn't already got rid of Babel, we could have used him as some sort of bargaining chip. Probably too unsettled already anyway.

Liverpool were not going to let Torres go until they got AC. We let AC go so we could get the cash in.

If Liverpool hadn't already got rid of Babel, we could have used him as some sort of bargaining chip. Probably too unsettled already anyway.

Aye.

We should of said we want Sloth on-loan for zilch until the end of the season.  Now that Shola is broke I would of been happy with Jovanović or N'Gog coming till the end of the season. Or we could of told Chelsea we want Sturridge on loan if not AC is going nowhere which means Torres is not going anywhere. We had the power on TDD.