Female commentators - yay or nay?

Big Geordie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The problem with female football commentators, is that they don't like it up 'em! At least not on a cold night in Stoke etc.

I can only presume that Match of the Day are practising sabotage in appointing a woman with an horrendous voice who is as cliche-ridden as any of the men. Otherwise there are some good female commentators, good female analysts like Eni Aluko and Alex Scott, and I don't want even my colour commentators to be solely comprised of male ex-professionals, especially since male ex-professional footballers must be one of the thickest and most sheltered and least reflective demographics on the planet. Seriously it's astonishing the discrepancy in analysis between former footballers and former athletes in other sports, perhaps not coincidentally especially some of those sports that give relatively equal billing to men and women, like tennis and track and field.

FFS it's 2020.

Sure they might have smaller brains resulting in less intelligence, but it shouldn't stop them from commentating on matches once washing, ironing and childbearing is over.

It depends on the individual, a lot of the pundits I've seen including the likes of Alex Jones are refreshing and they don't have the same ties to a lot of dinosaurs that currently exist. They just analyse it as they see it.

Same for Sky, when they have the women they go to on Soccer Saturday and the women are summarising the game, it's grand.

However I voted NAR MEN ONLY because the lass on MOTD is fucking horrific and makes me oppose the idea of female commentators live. Co-commentary, summarising etc. I'm absolutely fine with, but front-line commentary I think she's the only one I've heard and she's so bad she actually drags me away from the game and into her annoying fake voice.  #sexist

Any commentator who can tell players apart is fine by me. Had some corkers for us in the past.

I remember one commentator kept mixing up Mitrovic and Perez. Like, consistently throughout the game.

The commentator on Saturday mixed up Almirno and Joelintin when talking about who was injured, but we didn't use that as a basis for discussing if male commentators have a place in the sport.

Don’t think Alex Scott is good at all IMO. Can’t articulate sentences well, just feel like she’s reaching out of thin air for something to say. Looks overwhelmed by the occasion most times she’s on. Was on The Debate last year and there were multiple occasions where she just had nothing to say and shrugged her shoulders. The host was like “c’mon, Alex, you gotta say something” and she was speechless. Don’t think she’s been on as a pundit this season. Think she’s presenting something earlier in the day. Presenting suits her better IMO.

If they are good at the job then yes, same as any other job. Quite a few women have been a breath of fresh air in the game in recent years. If you think football is just for the lads get yourself a VPN and a Bein Sports subscription, Keys and Gray are perfect for you.

Don’t think Alex Scott is good at all IMO. Can’t articulate sentences well, just feel like she’s reaching out of thin air for something to say. Looks overwhelmed by the occasion most times she’s on. Was on The Debate last year and there were multiple occasions where she just had nothing to say and shrugged her shoulders. The host was like “c’mon, Alex, you gotta say something” and she was speechless. Don’t think she’s been on as a pundit this season. Think she’s presenting something earlier in the day. Presenting suits her better IMO.

Aye, she doesn't grunt enough for my liking.

The commentator is the story teller of a game. It doesn't matter a fuck if they're male, female or transgender, as long as they can portray accurately what is going on. Having the right tones helps too. Some people just don't have the mental capacity to deal with change.