Euro 96

Paully

I remember this game being really boring at the time. Canny interested to see whether it still is, or if I was just spoiled by watching us under Keegan.

Aye, I’m pretty sure young me fucked it off to half way through to play in the back garden. Remember trying to do the Gazza all night after he did that too.

Swiss shirt a legit banger.

Just realised Rob Lee isn't even in the squad but Steve Stone and Nicky Barmby are. Ridiculous

:thup: Totally ridiculous how few Newcastle players there were considering we'd just finished second. I know Ince was quality, but Lee definitely should have had a look in around 94-96

Just realised Rob Lee isn't even in the squad but Steve Stone and Nicky Barmby are. Ridiculous

:thup: Totally ridiculous how few Newcastle players there were considering we'd just finished second. I know Ince was quality, but Lee definitely should have had a look in around 94-96

Lee and Beardsley omissions were crazy.

How good was McManaman? Doesn't get mentioned that often but he got a move to Real Madrid so he must have been pretty good?

Too young to remember him really

He was brilliant in these years for club and country - his first 2 years at Madrid were decent too but he suffered as a result of Madrid’s galactico policy - went from being a fantastic dribbler to just making simple 5 yard passes to Figo, Zidane et al

If I remember correctly he was on the verge of signing for Barca until Sir Bobby recommended them Rivaldo instead??

The general standard of football is a lot crapper than i remember it. I didn't think it would be too different to modern football, just a lot slower, but the amount they give the ball away is in huge contrast to the stuff we see now.

The general standard of football is a lot crapper than i remember it. I didn't think it would be too different to modern football, just a lot slower, but the amount they give the ball away is in huge contrast to the stuff we see now.

Aye and now half of them are pundits who complain when modern players give the ball away. :lol: You'd think they were all Xavi the way some of them go on.

The 1970 World Cup final that everyone bangs on about is almost entirely at walking pace like. It's a shame, I bet the football was on another planet at the time but it's really hard to appreciate now with everything that's come since then.

The 1970 World Cup final that everyone bangs on about is almost entirely at walking pace like. It's a shame, I bet the football was on another planet at the time but it's really hard to appreciate now with everything that's come since then.

I remember watching the '66 Final when that was shown on BBC once, the standard was dreadful compared to today.