Paul Dummett

Guest palnese

He deserves chances, in fact he deserves more of a chance to prove himself than Debuchy right now who if a young lad breaking through would have been body slammed back in to the reserves or possibly loaned out and forgot about.

He deserves chances, in fact he deserves more of a chance to prove himself than Debuchy right now who if a young lad breaking through would have been body slammed back in to the reserves or possibly loaned out and forgot about.

Probably correct, but then again Debuchy is a proven and experienced international player, so we know this bad period is more form than lack of ability.

Probably correct, but then again Debuchy is a proven and experienced international player, so we know this bad period is more form than lack of ability.

Proven in France. There's better and more experienced international players that have failed in the Premiership. He hasn't proven himself in the PL. And he isn't even proven at international level - he has 1 more cap than Danny Welbeck and he has 5 years on him. He only made his international debut in 2011. Unlike MYM or someone, he wasn't pointed out as a tremendous player from a young age.

Surprisingly no one bumps this thread up? I think he has a good game tonight, solid, tidy, and composed. I am very impressed and I think both he and Haidara are good enough cover for the left - and I even wouldnt mind to start any one of them and play Santon on the right.

Didnt panic, and hasn't whenever he's had minutes on the pitch. We can thank his loan move and should be using st Mirren more often, I'm sure they won't mind some of our better prospects going up there for game time.

If Campbell's loan move to Carlisle doesn't work out he'd be the first one sent up there followed by Streete.

Didnt panic, and hasn't whenever he's had minutes on the pitch. We can thank his loan move and should be using st Mirren more often, I'm sure they won't mind some of our better prospects going up there for game time.

If Campbell's loan move to Carlisle doesn't work out he'd be the first one sent up there followed by Streete.

Dummett has been quite a surprise package. Don't think he was particularly highly rated until this season. Maybe it's for the best so the kids can develop without expectation or pressure. Wonder how good Connor Newton is.

Guest Haris Vuckic

If you play Santon as a full back and not a wing back I'm sure people's perception of his defensive capabilities with change but a lot of people don't look at the player or the system before judging.

or before encouraging him to get down the wing...

Anyway - Dummett - yes - fantastic player & a academy product where you can actually visualise him in the first team in a couple of years.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd personally drop Debuchy now.  Santon at right-back and Dummett at left-back.

I wouldn't, the same was said about defenders last season and more often than not somebody would come in and people wanted them out next game.  Dummett looks good but he's got a lot to learn before he should be willingly thrown in against Premiership teams.

I'd personally drop Debuchy now.  Santon at right-back and Dummett at left-back.

I wouldn't, the same was said about defenders last season and more often than not somebody would come in and people wanted them out next game.  Dummett looks good but he's got a lot to learn before he should be willingly thrown in against Premiership teams.

For me, Debuchy has been pretty consistently poor this season, including last night.  I am not writing him off altogether but when you have a player clearly not performing he needs to be dropped.  That alongside the fact that Santon's lack of a left foot is really frustrating me and I think affecting our attacks and the fact the Dummett has played well the 3 times he's been on the pitch means that I would take the chance.  We can't just stick with Debuchy while he's playing poorly just because the other option isn't experienced.  And Dummett may have things to learn but he's shown a maturity and well roundedness to his game when i've seen him and the only way this'll develop is by getting some games.

Spot on.