Other clubs' transfers

Greg

Must say, I don't quite understand the Jota transfer, doesn't really make sense for either party IMO. Really good player, in fact way too good to sit on the bench,but hardly worth £40+m as a back up.

To be honest, I don't quite understand it either.  He is a very good player, don't get me wrong. But whatever little I watched of him, he seems to lack that extra bit of class and explosiveness which will take him to a Mane, Salah level in the future. Even with a favorable payment structure, that fee is a bit of a headscratcher.

Having said that, with the transfer committee, and Klopp, there is always a plan. With most players they have bought in the last few years, it is clear within 3-4 months, their role and how they are planning to be used, etc. He does fit the Klopp purchase profile - young, can play multiple positions, tenacious has the skill and an eye for goal. So curious to see how Jota develops.

More intensive season though, so more need to rotate.

Yup, it could just be that. We don't have the money for elite-level talents like Werner or Havertz this summer which was the original plan. So pad up the squad with good quality replacements from clubs who accept favorable payment structures.

Jota, Shaqiri, Harry Wilson, Minamino, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Origi. I guess this means Brewster really is leaving?

Shaqiri, Grujic, Wilson, and Origi are definitely in the shop window. I fully expect at least two out of the four to be sold or sent on loan by the end of the transfer window. Brewster is also in the shop window for the right price - 25 million-plus with a buyback clause. I hope we don't sell Brewster though.

Oxlade-Chamberlain - I have no clue. With Gini staying for one more year, he is not going to get chances in the midfield area. He does not play like Mane or Salah (not just the level but the style of play) out wide. His constant injuries also do not help.  Wolves were rumored to be interested in him as they are falling short of the locally trained players quota but not sure how reliable that link is.

We don't have a lot of money to pay upfront.

Why is that? The new stand at Anfield? With the success Liverpool have had in recent years I'd have thought they be loaded.

I dont quite understand the details provided here: https://www.empireofthekop.com/2020/09/07/why-liverpool-arent-spending-brilliant-swiss-ramble-thread-reveals-all/

FSG has invested quite a bit into the new main stand and is spending 50-60 million on a new training facility. That is a factor. They were also planning to submit paperwork to obtain permission for Anfield Road End Expansion but as of now, they have stopped it.

Also, based on my limited understanding, the wages we provide are incentivized by a heavy bonus structure if we win anything big. Last two years, we won the champions league and the premier league. Our wage bill has grown a lot due to that. Mane, Salah, Van Dijk, Alisson all make 150-200K. If we win anything big they make generous bonus. I remember our CEO commenting to one journalist last year that we dont make any additional money as a club by winning the champions league as the win bonuses take care of that. Again, I might be simplifying or misinterpreting these things. 

With all of that, we were at an operating profit but it seems COVID-19 has wiped it out.

I also believe FSG are being extra cautious due to dual exposure from Liverpool as well as Red Sox. It looks like Red Sox is also projected to experience huge losses this year. FSG are rich but not Abramovich or City rich who can write off losses from two clubs in a year.

It is in a way irritating in the sense that I thought this summer we could compete for the truly elite talent. That is not happening. But I dont want to appear as complaining. FSG have been brilliant owners. Everything we make goes right into the club. The club lives within its means and when extra cash is needed - ground expansion, training facility - they have injected cash in the form of zero or low interest loans I believe.