Why no playoffs?

Mike
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I mean, what sport has suffered because they added playoffs? Get rid of the league cup that no one cares about, move the league fixtures into those old LC spots. You only need three matches if you go one and done.

Top eight teams like in NBA/NHL make it. One and done. No legs, no agg. Final top eight standings determined by winner, 2nd place, winner of 3rd, loser of 3rd place playoff. Then 4-8 could be GD.

Gives every team something to play for all year. Midtable teams pushing for that 8th spot, get a chance to compete for the trophy.

Best team isn't always the team in first.

:lol: I'll fuck off. I'm just saying, is all.

Fuck this shit, as if the team finishing 8th deserves a shot at anything, they're 8th ffs. :lol: Also it's just the top teams who don't care about the League Cup. Most teams (including ours) see it as a tidy piece of silverware and a shot at Europe next season.

:lol: Mike

I haven't even read the OP yet.

:lol: You guys are the best.

Sewelly, the difference between a postseason and the FA cup is that every team would take the post season seriously. We support a team that doesn't give a shit about that cup. They openly don't give a shit. You can't compare a few motivated teams cutting through teams that barely care to a postseason where every team would be going for it.

Sewelly, the difference between a postseason and the FA cup is that every team would take the post season seriously. We support a team that doesn't give a shit about that cup. They openly don't give a shit. You can't compare a few motivated teams cutting through teams that barely care to a postseason where every team would be going for it.

Sorry :laugh: I do like the idea of having the cream of the crop battle it out in high-pressure win-take-all games in a "post-season" with no other distractions/commitments. A wildcard like an Everton could really do some damage, but there's just a very basic iniquity if Man Utd get knocked out by someone who got 30 fewer points than them during the season.

I think, as Sewelly says, cup competitions sufficiently cover what play-offs bring to the table. I'm still pushing for scrapping the Euros, and having a league-wide Premiership vs Bundesliga vs La Liga tournament, but the Premiership would get fucking mullered right now IMO.

Sorry :laugh: I do like the idea of having the cream of the crop battle it out in high-pressure win-take-all games in a "post-season" with no other distractions/commitments. A wildcard like an Everton could really do some damage, but there's just a very basic iniquity if Man Utd get knocked out by someone who got 30 fewer points than them during the season.

I think, as Sewelly says, cup competitions sufficiently cover what play-offs bring to the table. I'm still pushing for scrapping the Euros, and having a league-wide Premiership vs Bundesliga vs La Liga tournament, but the Premiership would get fucking mullered right now IMO.

If you're in first, and you get knocked out by 8...you weren't the best team. Point totals be damned. Playoffs are perfect for sports with long seasons peppered with meaningless games. You think the team in 20th is going as hard against the team in 1st as they are against the team in 19th? Give any team something to play for and you'll get dramatic, exciting spectacle. That's what this is supposed to be, right?

We're the only ones that don't care about it man, because we have King Pards. Everybody else does, that's why the good teams keep winning it. Change league to a play-off system and you might have an Everton (like Portsmouth) nab a title once a decade. Maybe.

It's not a viable solution.

We're the only ones that don't care about it man, because we have King Pards. Everybody else does, that's why the good teams keep winning it. Change league to a play-off system and you might have an Everton (like Portsmouth) nab a title once a decade. Maybe.

It's not a viable solution.

:lol: I feel like we haven't given a shit about the FA cup since I've been a fan.

Even if playoffs gave us one out of the blue champ a decade (It wouldn't), it would be better than this big money team carousel we're stuck on. It would throw some parity into the pot too, since the end season standings would only determine post-season seeding. The 1-8 after the playoffs were over would determine league payouts and European places, and all that.

How brave is Mike  :mike:

They do it here in the Cypriot league. 12 teams. Split into 3 groups of 4. Top four together, so on and so forth. They play each of the teams over two legs, with points counting as normal. Only thing it does is give the team say in third the chance to take points off the team in second etc. rather than a team at the bottom. Points gained and lost only at the top kind of thing. They go into the playoffs with their regular season points total, and continue adding to that.

For such a small p*ss poor league, it works.