Video Assistant Referees (VAR)

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

VAR is fine in Germany and Italy, isnt it?  Don't see any fans from those places saying they have to get rid of it

Pretty unpopular from what I hear on various podcasts.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-soccer-italy-referees/serie-a-coaches-angry-and-baffled-over-var-decisions-idUKKBN1FI1HI

https://www.thesportsman.com/articles/var-has-not-been-an-overwhelming-success-in-the-bundesliga

VAR is fine in Germany and Italy, isnt it?  Don't see any fans from those places saying they have to get rid of it

Pretty unpopular from what I hear on various podcasts.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-soccer-italy-referees/serie-a-coaches-angry-and-baffled-over-var-decisions-idUKKBN1FI1HI

https://www.thesportsman.com/articles/var-has-not-been-an-overwhelming-success-in-the-bundesliga

Fair enough. All I've seen is people on reddit saying it's fine and a success on the whole

This was one about Italy

Just to be a contrarian bastard instead of all this stopping loads of play for VAR mid match just embrace this, get to the end of the half, ref then watches any missed pens, gives players any red cards should have happened and have a few pens for each time for every missed foul. Half time will be 10x as exciting.  :lol: :lol:

Guest neesy111

You can't be doing that man :lol: How much time has to pass before you can't retrospectively change a decision?

Weeks if you're juventus.

Am up for VAR, but it is being applied in the wrong way. It should only be used on goals and when penalties are given, or for cases of mistaken identity on red cards. If a penalty isn't given on the field then tough. That's the ref's call and he shouldn't be allowed to go to VAR to help him. When a goal is scored, the VAR ref should immediately it review it for obvious offsides, handballs etc, and communicate back if there is any reason to disallow it. If the offside is tight then let it go. The rule even allows for that.

I would expect Aguero's header against us a couple of years ago to be disallowed for example as it was clearly off. Watford's equaliser against Southampton this year would have been cancelled out too (for handball). You'll get fans celebrating goals which are overturned but it will be a couple a season and I think it's more important to get the decision right where a significant error has occurred.

Each review would therefore take place in a natural break in play, but they do need to rethink the speed of review and comms with the fans during the review.

How far in the build-up would you go back in order to rule out a goal?

I'd only call handball when it's a hand that puts it in the net and missed by the ref, so that only leaves offsides. For me it would be any pass in the phase of play leading up to the goal, bearing in mind I'd only call obvious offsides. Anything where it is a foot here or a knee there then it goes with the onfield decision. However, in saying that, if the powers that be declared it to be the final ball only and the goalscorer themselves has to be obviously off to recall it, I'd go with that. As long as it is consistent. What they are trying to do is remove every mistake which isn't feasible.

I just don't see how checking on (say) a final ball offside would deliver the right outcome if you ignored (for example) a foul in the build-up. I guess it's a step forward in a way, but it really just moves the debate and controversy to something else.

I can see a very weird game, with no real goal celebrations, developing. Where everyone is waiting a minute to see if they've scored.

Just to be a contrarian bastard instead of all this stopping loads of play for VAR mid match just embrace this, get to the end of the half, ref then watches any missed pens, gives players any red cards should have happened and have a few pens for each time for every missed foul. Half time will be 10x as exciting.  :lol: :lol:

Better than cheerleaders, or fans trying to chip a ball into a bucket wearing brogues.

I just don't see how checking on (say) a final ball offside would deliver the right outcome if you ignored (for example) a foul in the build-up. I guess it's a step forward in a way, but it really just moves the debate and controversy to something else.

I can see a very weird game, with no real goal celebrations, developing. Where everyone is waiting a minute to see if they've scored.

I take your point, but the numbers of goals it would actually rule out would be tiny, around 2-3%. Once you got used to it goals would still be celebrated. Another option is of course to give each team one or two VAR challenges a game and not allow the VAR ref to intercede unless a challenge is raised. That would cover the real injustices, although on the flip side you could see teams using them tactically like substitutions to disrupt play. Maybe one each would be sufficient?

i would really like them to think and do a trial for a Challenge system. say 3 challenges per team in a whole match or each half. if a team puts in a challenge over a decision they feel is wrong, VAR is used. That would stop referees or even those numbskulls in a studio miles away interrupting with play at their own will.

Edit: Just read Elma's post.

Why can't they just stick a screen on the refs arm?  He presses a button and it plays back the last 10 seconds in slow-mo.  There's really no need for this to be done off the pitch.

It's fucking stupid anyway, just play the game.

Doesn't seem half as shit in rugby.

people know what's going on when it goes to the TMO in rugby, ref's fully mic'd up and you can hear what he's looking for the tv ref to look for, whereas the current implementation has nobody but the ref and his asssistants know what the fuck he's looking for and god help you if your at the stadium and want to know whats going on

Doesn't seem half as shit in rugby.

people know what's going on when it goes to the TMO in rugby, ref's fully mic'd up and you can hear what he's looking for the tv ref to look for, whereas the current implementation has nobody but the ref and his asssistants know what the fuck he's looking for and god help you if your at the stadium and want to know whats going on

Rugby is also a very stop start game and football is totally the wrong sport to implement video referees.

It’d be like stopping the F1 to check something.