Isaac Hayden: on loan at QPR

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/isaac-hayden-newcastle-transfers-benitez-16274850

Although Hayden stated earlier this month that there can be "no excuses" from the club not to sell him this summer, Benitez has suggested that the midfielder will only be allowed to depart should Newcastle receive a sufficient offer.

“I have been talking to him [about future]. I told him that in the end, if you have a contract, you have to see what happens and think about what you would like to do, whether it is this or that," Benitez said of Hayden's situation.

"It does not matter if you [as a journalist] want to go to another newspaper who will pay you more, we have to have the offer first.

"Fine, then you can talk to us and we can see where we are. I understand that Isaac has his personal issues. That is fine but, at the same time, we have to find the balance which is good for him, but also for the club.

"He’s a person that obviously has his own issues with his family that we know about. But football’s not so simple; it’s not a normal job.

"There are a lot of things you have to analyse. We will try to do the best for him and the best for us.”

Pushed as to whether that meant there were no guarantees Hayden would be able to leave this summer, Benitez replied: “I have a meeting this week [with Ashley] and then we will see.”

Asked if, in an ideal world where Hayden's personal circumstances did not necessitate the midfielder to relocate, Benitez would like to keep Hayden, the Spaniard said: “Remember that I signed him!

"After watching some clips [of him] and oof! In the contact, I was impressed and was checking, watching more videos.

"I spoke to a lot of people, then we signed him for a low fee. I told him then he could be the holding-midfielder for England. I said: 'If you progress, if you listen and if you do all the things I tell you [then you can play for England].'

"When he was not playing [earlier in the season], I was a bit disappointed because I thought he could continue growing. In the second part of the season, he has shown he has the potential.

“I will be the first one really pleased if I stay and he stays, but we have to find the solution for everyone.”

I mean, what's Hayden supposed to say, "He's a fat cunt and he's made a mess of things.  We had to disinfect our hands after we shook with him.  Some of the lads left when he started puking into a fake fireplace."

Yes. There's nothing in between those statements.

First sentence would suffice, anyway. At least if he was somewhat aware of all things Newcastle, the fans and the club.

That's a manager trying to drive the price up for a promising young player that everyone in the world knows is available for purchase. Which is fair enough; there's no doubts about him leaving. Given how vocal the lad has been about moving on, there'd be a risk of letting him go for something well beneath his value. So we need to give the impression it won't be a straightforward sale, even though it probably will be..

Positive comments from a Rafa point of view, too.

I don’t think it’s out of the question he could become the holding player for England if he continues to play like he did in the last half of the season. I know every club outside the top few has a player that they’re adamant should be playing for England but given the weakness we have in that position I don’t see many players better than Hayden. It wasn’t too long ago Southgate picked Livermore to play in that role and Hayden is far superior to him.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

I don’t think it’s out of the question he could become the holding player for England if he continues to play like he did in the last half of the season. I know every club outside the top few has a player that they’re adamant should be playing for England but given the weakness we have in that position I don’t see many players better than Hayden. It wasn’t too long ago Southgate picked Livermore to play in that role and Hayden is far superior to him.

Bloody hell, the lad's had about 7 good games. I don't deny his form has been good, but howay.

Yea but that’s what I’ve said. The main points were I agree with Rafa: IF he continues his form he has the potential to play for England even if only because our holding midfielders are absolutely shit.

Yea but that’s what I’ve said. The main points were I agree with Rafa: IF he continues his form he has the potential to play for England even if only because our holding midfielders are absolutely shit.

rice is a better player in the holding role like, hayden made progress in his overall game last season though

Agree with that.  I’ve always thought his main strengths are his mobility and being able to snuff out attacks breaking from midfield, or just genrally closing the ball down really quickly.  His best games for us have been when he’s been allowed to get around the pitch winning the ball rather than just sitting there protecting the defence.

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted by West Ham apparently.

Be great if they give us £20million :laugh:

Given the bullshit offers they’ve made for other players this summer, we’ll be offered closer to 5

Wanted by West Ham apparently.

Be great if they give us £20million :laugh:

Given the bullshit offers they’ve made for other players this summer, we’ll be offered closer to 5

Sounds like they got rejected by Andre Gomes rather than bid rejected.

I think they will have a fair bit to spend again I’ll be glad if they give us £20million for Hayden :thup: