On this day...

Tooj

2 years ago! Almirón's debut, most excited I'd been for a debut in years, bizarrely mild/warm weather in February, first red card given to the opposition in 5 decades or something, expectant of a win and delivering with the only gripe being not scoring more. Mint.

2 years ago! Almirón's debut, most excited I'd been for a debut in years, bizarrely mild/warm weather in February, first red card given to the opposition in 5 decades or something, expectant of a win and delivering with the only gripe being not scoring more. Mint.

I remember being gutted Almiron didn't get his goal when he hit the post but forgot how great the move was!

First win there at the third attempt!

Felt like one of the best days of my life at the time that. I was 12 and the only time we'd beaten them in my living memory was the game at Roker with no away fans - I'd been to all the other ones, so that was 6 games against with 4 draws and 2 defeats. Then I was in second row right behind the goal for this, amazing. (Always try to find myself on camera, must've just been cut off, gutted).

I loved our fans behind right down by the pitch behind that goal. The goals in that goal are much more memorable for me - i.e. especially that one and all the 4-1 goals, as opposed to say the Solano penalty at the other end.

(Seems like 99% of my NUFC posts and thoughts now are just reminiscing about the same over and over again each anniversary, mostly from that period)

edit:

Also, last time I'll bang this drum but moments like this will never happen again while there's VAR, so sad. Now I'd have doubt in case it nicked someone's arm or something til confirmed. Luckily we're soulless anyway so VAR doesn't make that much difference.

Just read up about that, we went 2 points off top with a game in hand after that win. Unfortunately Bellamy got injured after that and our next two games were Arsenal and Liverpool, the two teams below us and we lost 0-2 and 3-0 respectively. Watched the 02-03 season review on YouTube recently and Alex Ferguson was at some awards evening with Sir Bobby and some of our players and was asked about us, he said that he thought we would have won the league if Bellamy hadn't have gotten injured.

Just read up about that, we went 2 points off top with a game in hand after that win. Unfortunately Bellamy got injured after that and our next two games were Arsenal and Liverpool, the two teams below us and we lost 0-2 and 3-0 respectively. Watched the 02-03 season review on YouTube recently and Alex Ferguson was at some awards evening with Sir Bobby and some of our players and was asked about us, he said that he thought we would have won the league if Bellamy hadn't have gotten injured.

Yeah Bellamy injury was a big loss, though don't think we'd have won it anyway really -  AArsenal never lost a game all season after losing to us in December, and barely drew any.

The 0-2 Arsenal in the next game was the one with famous Bergkamp goal.