Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

Even if Ashley wasn't a cunt I'd want young players to come through. Despite our failures in the academy there are about 5 or 6 right now I have high hopes for.

Not quite sure why you would say that - surely everyone wants young players to come through at all times? - but if we are not making first team signings then it's even more helpful if they do come through.

Money doesn't make players good  :lol:

:lol:

Don't know where to start tbh...money lets you bring in better young players for a start. Then better facilities, coaching etc. We just go for local lads no other club decides to take and then let Beardsley et al 'coach' them  :lol:

People became good footballers before millions were spent on academies, no? A player's natural talent can't be influenced by money.

But it can be developed and nurtured. We just produce the non-league players of the future in this tin pot club

People became good footballers before millions were spent on academies, no? A player's natural talent can't be influenced by money.

So do you think that the reason we've barely created any academy talents recently is because all of the players we've had coming through haven't had natural talent?

Because I'd put a large part of it down to money not being spent properly on facilities and good coaching in the academy and first team

Guest firetotheworks

Guest firetotheworks

So do you think that the reason we've barely created any academy talents recently is because all of the players we've had coming through haven't had natural talent?

Because I'd put a large part of it down to money not being spent properly on facilities and good coaching in the academy and first team

and that's before getting onto how the talent that we do have are often more attracted to the likes of 'boro, where the youth development pisses all over ours. Dunno how anyone could say what Liam's said with a straight face tbh. Our lack of backing for local talent is why we ended up having to pay a world record fee for a player that should have been with us from the beginning but might have ended up on the scrap heap if he'd stayed, same with Beardsley and Carrick.

He'll never be PL standard like. Should make a decent Football League career out of himself though.

I dont got posts like this. He's young. just scored a goal and made a man of the match performance in his first professional game for us, yet gets written off.

Bang on. Unless Sewelly’s been to plenty reserve matches/Blackpool games where Longstaff played it’s a bit of a sad comment.

I think predicting one of our youth players will make a career for himself in the Football League is a fairly optimistic post to be honest.

In general terms for the current youth players, yes. In the case of a young player that has already proven himself successful at League 1 level - no.

Yep

I think predicting one of our youth players will make a career for himself in the Football League is a fairly optimistic post to be honest.

In general terms for the current youth players, yes. In the case of a young player that has already proven himself successful at League 1 level - no.

Maybe.

However, if a player is reaching 21 and has never been involved at any England level I'd be a bit apprehensive about his PL potential.

Obviously there's counter examples and lets hope he's one of them.

Guest Howaythetoon

They did and it can be argued that academies have actually had a negative effect on natural talent, we are certainly seeing fewer type of players or different styles, but that isn’t why NUFC fail to produce any talent.

It is out there, but when they end up at the club a combination of poor facilities and coaching prevents them from developing and when they do get to 18-20 their chances of making it at the club is almost non existent and just as slim making it as a pro even lower down.

Players that have a bit more about them and do break into the first-team need a manager who values youth and who can develop thing in an environment that allows that.

Under Keegan and Sir Bobby to an extent where we had a team of good players and there was a pressure to win and challenge, unless a player was of undoubted talent, their route into the team would likely be blocked by a big money signing which is the kind of players fans demand and a team challenging needs.

Today, we could really do with a pool of talent coming through because we have an environment where we don’t have the kind of money to go and blow on certain positions and a manager that values youth and is renowned for developing it.

But our owner doesn’t care about any of that and as such our immediate future on the pitch is weakened by not having an academy or facilities up to scratch that young kids want to join (they opt for Boro or Sunderland more often than not) and if they do, they won’t develop to any decent standard anyway.

Andy Carrol and Dumett man :lol: