Hatem Ben Arfa (still a free agent)

Dave

God why are people so het- up all the time? "Fan boy" being used as a derogatory term for someone that liked watching a player. What does it actually matter?

You can like a player, but don't you dare like that player too much...you have to be a casual fan at all times or Dinho will get offended.

Casual fan but never casual finishing.

God why are people so het- up all the time? "Fan boy" being used as a derogatory term for someone that liked watching a player. What does it actually matter?

You can like a player, but don't you dare like that player too much...you have to be a casual fan at all times or Dinho will get offended.

Casual fan but never casual finishing.

Casual! :memelol:

Solano was way more talented than Ben Arfa a wand of a right foot and one of the best passers and crossers we ever had. Such an intelligent player too.

Way more talented? No chance. Better and more intelligent, of course.

Totally different player. Solano was more like Beckham but with more skill.

With a best XI, you’d obviously have Keegan managing them, so for that reason Ben Arfa is in there. Just imagine how motivated he’d have been.

Rob Lee was a good midfielder and a very good captain but Cabaye is/was far more gifted and a superior passer. Speed has to be in there, and I’d have Ginola in over Robert every time. Almost unstoppable when on the ball (Robert had to work much harder which he didn’t always do..)

I take the point about Beardsley and to a lesser extent Hamann, but.. the former has pretty much tarnished himself over the last decade by how he’s licked up to MA and Dietmar Hamann is one of the most humourless cunts I’ve ever seen (he’s also got a strange eye twitch which makes him look like a mental patient), anyone who’s seen his pundit work will know what I’m talking about.

It amazes me the people on here that put him ahead of Beardsley,Solano ,Lee or Robert. They either didn't see them players play or just have some bizarre love in for Ben Area. Wherever he's been he's been lazy and his attitude stinks yes he's got talent but my god he's not on the same level as the players mentioned

Can't remember much about Beardsley or Lee but Solano and Robert are two of my all time favourite NUFC players. They were great and entertaining players in the SBR years but their careers were nothing special outside of that little spell and in the end the SBR team won nothing either. Meanwhile HBA has won a countless number of trophies playing for the three biggest teams in France and had a great and entertaining spell here (when allowed).

World must be a wondrous place for you if people putting HBA ahead Nobby or Robert in their all time NUFC XI amazes you.

Honours

France

FIFA Confederations Cup: 2001

Honours

Sporting Cristal

Peruvian First Division: 1994, 1995, 1996

Copa Libertadores Runner-up: 1997

Newcastle United

UEFA Intertoto Cup: 2006

Universitario de Deportes

Peruvian First Division: 2009

National Team

Kirin Cup: 1999, 2005

Individual

1992 Peruvian Player of the Year

1997 America's Ideal Team of the Year[47]

1997 South American Player on the Year: 2nd place

Honours

Club

Lyon

Ligue 1: 2004–05, 2005–06, 2006–07, 2007–08

Coupe de France: 2007–08

Trophée des champions: 2006, 2007

Marseille

Ligue 1: 2009–10

Coupe de la Ligue: 2009–10

Trophée des Champions: 2010

Paris Saint-Germain

Coupe de France: 2016–17

Coupe de la Ligue: 2016–17

Trophée des Champions: 2016

International

France

UEFA European Under-17 Championship: 2004

Individual

UNFP Ligue 1 Young Player of the Year: 2007–08

UNFP Ligue 1 Player of the Month: February 2010

UNFP Ligue 1 Team of the Year: 2015-16

Can I please point out that Cacapa won more French league titles

Did I put Cacapa in my all time XI?

No but you were using French league titles as a barometer for saying that HBA was superior to Nobby and Robert so I was just pointing out that on that measure you can’t leave Cacapa out of your XI

I didn't even say that HBA was superior, just that it's hardly ridiculous to put him in ahead of Nobby or Robert in an all time XI like the quoted poster suggested.

It amazes me the people on here that put him ahead of Beardsley,Solano ,Lee or Robert. They either didn't see them players play or just have some bizarre love in for Ben Area. Wherever he's been he's been lazy and his attitude stinks yes he's got talent but my god he's not on the same level as the players mentioned

Can't remember much about Beardsley or Lee but Solano and Robert are two of my all time favourite NUFC players. They were great and entertaining players in the SBR years but their careers were nothing special outside of that little spell and in the end the SBR team won nothing either. Meanwhile HBA has won a countless number of trophies playing for the three biggest teams in France and had a great and entertaining spell here (when allowed).

World must be a wondrous place for you if people putting HBA ahead Nobby or Robert in their all time NUFC XI amazes you.

Honours

France

FIFA Confederations Cup: 2001

Honours

Sporting Cristal

Peruvian First Division: 1994, 1995, 1996

Copa Libertadores Runner-up: 1997

Newcastle United

UEFA Intertoto Cup: 2006

Universitario de Deportes

Peruvian First Division: 2009

National Team

Kirin Cup: 1999, 2005

Individual

1992 Peruvian Player of the Year

1997 America's Ideal Team of the Year[47]

1997 South American Player on the Year: 2nd place

Honours

Club

Lyon

Ligue 1: 2004–05, 2005–06, 2006–07, 2007–08

Coupe de France: 2007–08

Trophée des champions: 2006, 2007

Marseille

Ligue 1: 2009–10

Coupe de la Ligue: 2009–10

Trophée des Champions: 2010

Paris Saint-Germain

Coupe de France: 2016–17

Coupe de la Ligue: 2016–17

Trophée des Champions: 2016

International

France

UEFA European Under-17 Championship: 2004

Individual

UNFP Ligue 1 Young Player of the Year: 2007–08

UNFP Ligue 1 Player of the Month: February 2010

UNFP Ligue 1 Team of the Year: 2015-16

Can I please point out that Cacapa won more French league titles

Did I put Cacapa in my all time XI?

No but you were using French league titles as a barometer for saying that HBA was superior to Nobby and Robert so I was just pointing out that on that measure you can’t leave Cacapa out of your XI

I didn't even say that HBA was superior, just that it's hardly ridiculous to put him in ahead of Nobby or Robert in an all time XI like the quoted poster suggested.

Considering HBA had a better end product (in terms of goals&assists ratio wise) than Robert (Ginola too) I don't think it's crazy to put him ahead of Robert.

For some reason you've got people that either fell for the bullshit spread by Pardew or they hate football getting bemused by it when it's actually not that much of a shock.

Solano was way more talented than Ben Arfa a wand of a right foot and one of the best passers and crossers we ever had. Such an intelligent player too.

With a best XI, you’d obviously have Keegan managing them, so for that reason Ben Arfa is in there. Just imagine how motivated he’d have been.

Rob Lee was a good midfielder and a very good captain but Cabaye is/was far more gifted and a superior passer. Speed has to be in there, and I’d have Ginola in over Robert every time. Almost unstoppable when on the ball (Robert had to work much harder which he didn’t always do..)

I take the point about Beardsley and to a lesser extent Hamann, but.. the former has pretty much tarnished himself over the last decade by how he’s licked up to MA and Dietmar Hamann is one of the most humourless cunts I’ve ever seen (he’s also got a strange eye twitch which makes him look like a mental patient), anyone who’s seen his pundit work will know what I’m talking about.

Are you off your rocker saying Cabaye was far more gifted than Rob lee???

I take the point about Beardsley and to a lesser extent Hamann, but.. the former has pretty much tarnished himself over the last decade by how he’s licked up to MA and Dietmar Hamann is one of the most humourless c***s I’ve ever seen (he’s also got a strange eye twitch which makes him look like a mental patient), anyone who’s seen his pundit work will know what I’m talking about.

I didn’t say a better player. I just said more gifted and a better passer of the ball, which is true. Cabaye is far more technically gifted.

Rob Lee was a better leader and was more consistent with his performance level, as you would expect from a captain..

Guest NobbyOhNobby

I take the point about Beardsley and to a lesser extent Hamann, but.. the former has pretty much tarnished himself over the last decade by how he’s licked up to MA and Dietmar Hamann is one of the most humourless c***s I’ve ever seen (he’s also got a strange eye twitch which makes him look like a mental patient), anyone who’s seen his pundit work will know what I’m talking about.

I didn’t say a better player. I just said more gifted and a better passer of the ball, which is true. Cabaye is far more technically gifted.

Rob Lee was a better leader and was more consistent with his performance level, as you would expect from a captain..

Cabaye couldn't lace Rob Lee's boots

Guest firetotheworks

I think people have short memories like. Cabaye absolutely wasn't as good as Rob Lee at his best and the suggestion is utterly ridiculous imo. Yes, opinions and all that, but it's hard not to say that these posts aren't just flat out wrong. :lol: You're talking about a player who at his best stepped into Beardsley's role when he was injured and arguably outshone him, scoring 11 goals and getting god knows how many assists in 13 games at the start of 94/95. At that point he was in a much, much better team, but was still our most in form player, seen as the best midfielder in England, and arguably the best midfielder in the league at that point.

Cabaye when at his best, was better than Rob Lee at his best IMO. I know people don't hold Cabaye in high regard but at times he was absolutely phenomenal.

You get it at least.

We had Cabaye for at least a small portion of his best years and any negative feelings towards him are misplaced. He was at the heart of our best placed finish since SBR and in spite of being instructed by a complete imbecile while doing so. He wasn’t wrong to want to get away from that. Especially when the club took a massive step backwards as soon as we did finish 5th.. (notice a pattern..)

My XI is purely based on it being a Keegan side and every one of the players being able to express themselves. He’d have been immense alongside Gary Speed in the middle.