Fabian Schär

Kompany’s already got that award in the bag I’d think.

There was probably some stonker from earlier in the year I’ve forgotten about.

'Dross is the only one I can think of off the top of my head but he's a cunt so it doesn't count. But aye, assuming City win the league that's Kompany's to lose.

Kompany’s already got that award in the bag I’d think.

There was probably some stonker from earlier in the year I’ve forgotten about.

Townsend's goal vs City is the winner. The award will probably go to Kompany though, for a shot where - although impressive - he had absolutely nobody around to challenge him. Schar's was better than that.

Knew he was important to us, but hadnt realised how important until I just read these stats!

The stats suggest they would not have stayed up without him. His team won only one of the 16 Premier League matches in which Schar did not start and he came on in that one with the game goalless. Newcastle picked up 37 points from 22 games when he started, also scoring a stunner against Burnley. [/Quote]

Knew he was important to us, but hadnt realised how important until I just read these stats!

The stats suggest they would not have stayed up without him. His team won only one of the 16 Premier League matches in which Schar did not start and he came on in that one with the game goalless. Newcastle picked up 37 points from 22 games when he started, also scoring a stunner against Burnley. [/Quote]

He is important, but the stats don't tell everything. 

The games he missed were:

Spurs h - loss

Cardiff a - draw

Man City a - loss

Arsenal h - loss

Crystal Palace a - draw

Leicester h - loss

ManU a - loss

Brighton h - loss

Southampton a - draw

Wolves h - loss

Liverpool a - loss

Chelsea a - loss

Bournemouth a - draw

Arsenal a - loss

We could have changed a few losses to draw and draws to wins. 

He is important, but the stats don't tell everything. 

The games he missed were:

Spurs h - loss

Cardiff a - draw

Man City a - loss

Arsenal h - loss

Crystal Palace a - draw

Leicester h - loss

ManU a - loss

Brighton h - loss

Southampton a - draw

Wolves h - loss

Liverpool a - loss

Chelsea a - loss

Bournemouth a - draw

Arsenal a - loss

We could have changed a few losses to draw and draws to wins.

Aye. Most of those games, he likely only missed because Rafa thought he wasn't ready, yet (his early displays had most of us agreeing). Starting the season with our defence as sorted as it is, would fill me with excitement, if I didn't know that Tim Sherwood will sell him on deadline day.

There's more than one reason why we didn't do as well in most of those games. Rondon wasn't match fit or didn't play a lot of those games. We also played with 4 at the back for a lot of those games. Our form improved when Rondon was fit, we switched to 3 centre backs and 2 wing backs, Perez, Hayden and Longstaff came in to good form as well as Schär starting.

The funny thing is he's such a a different defender to Lejeune.

- Lejeune as the brains of our defense when he plays, organizing, leading, reading the game, ball player.

- Schar is extremely aggressive at intercepting the ball, esp. high up the pitch, he's an all-action ball player who is even better on the ball than Lejeune.

- Lascelles is there to mop things up, be the big aerial presence and use his pace/strength to be the last man between our goal.

- Fernandez is far slower than Lascelles, but very good reader of the game and in the air. Does mostly everything well, and is better on the ball than the captain.

- Dummett is unique in that he's got a bit of recovery pace, loves a slide tackle, plays the position well, keeps it simple-ish on the ball.

- Clark is like a slower version of Dummett and Fernandez IMO - but sort of pretty good at everything.

- Lejeune as the brains of our defense when he plays, organizing, leading, reading the game, ball player.

- Schar is extremely aggressive at intercepting the ball, esp. high up the pitch, he's an all-action ball player who is even better on the ball than Lejeune.

- Lascelles is there to mop things up, be the big aerial presence and use his pace/strength to be the last man between our goal.

Love the mix of our back 3 :thup:

With the knee injury to Lejeune though I’d like to see us add the speed and physicality of N’Soki as a talented left sided backup for him I think having Schar and N’Soki either side of Lascelles aggressively nicking the ball would be good depth next season.

This Summer has to be the time to move on the Championship players like Clark and start improving the quality/talent of our depth.

We shouldn’t be seeing numbers like 8 out of the 11 starters having started for us in the Championship in our 3rd season up next season.

Time to move Darlow, Clark, Hayden, Diame, Atsu, Gayle on.

With the knee injury to Lejeune though I’d like to see us add the speed and physicality of N’Soki as a talented left sided backup for him I think having Schar and N’Soki either side of Lascelles aggressively nicking the ball would be good depth next season.

This Summer has to be the time to move on the Championship players like Clark and start improving the quality/talent of our depth.

We shouldn’t be seeing numbers like 8 out of the 11 starters having started for us in the Championship in our 3rd season up next season.

Hayden? Missed the 2019 part of the season did you?

Ciaran Clark was our 4th top Premiership goalscorer this season (with 3). We'll miss his goals!

Hayden? Missed the 2019 part of the season did you?

Ciaran Clark was our 4th top Premiership goalscorer this season (with 3). We'll miss his goals!

The lad played well for about 8 games all season.

Voted him player of the season didn’t you :laugh:

The lad played well for about 8 games all season.

Voted him player of the season didn’t you :laugh:

No because I didn't vote for anyone.

You rate Hayden as Championship quality but Rafa picked him to start ahead of all our other centre midfielders (he got his chance due to injuries to others but kept his place).