Matt Ritchie

Fenham Mag

Simply can't cope with ASM's unpredictability.  Same at the weekend Ritchie tries to pass where he would expect but ASM is his own animal.

ASM will get better with Rose. Ritchie can head back to being back up winger. He can't be worse than atsu.

The sequence of play that led to the foul just perfectly encapsulates his contributions to the team now

Lose the ball - Run around like a total loon chasing after the ball out of position - Concede a ridiculous foul

Should be one of the first out the door in the summer,

You forgot shouting at people.  He loves a good shout.

It's see how one dimensional and sluggish he is that shows you just how good Jetro was technically.

I don't actually think Ritchie is technically a bad player, he passes the ball cleverly, and has a decent left foot. Problem is his lack of pace makes him a liability in defence, and practically useless going forward.

Guest Howaythetoon

Championship player at best these days, awful. Love how (based on last night anyway) the roles have been reversed between him and Almiron in that our little Mexican dude doesn’t trust him to pass to and seems to know if he does, it will break down quickly or he’s not going to get a quality ball back whether in space, marked or not.

The fact he’s still starting games right now says a lot about the kind of squad building/strengthening that’s taken place (or not) since we come up under Rafa - who if I remember right, only wanted him as a Championship player and then squad cover player at first and ti eventually peddle him on. He’s the Mike Williamson of NUFC right now.

Shit, but still getting games.

Guest Howaythetoon

Never been a fan. He can strike a ball, that’s it pretty much.

That’s a myth for me similar to the myth that Smith ran around a lot, put himself about and was fully committed.

That’s a myth for me similar to the myth that Smith ran around a lot, put himself about and was fully committed.

When I say ”strike a ball” I include crossing. His main strength IMO, at least in this team, i.e compared to the likes of Yedlin, Atsu...

Some harsh comments in here. It’s easy to re-write history now he’s pace has him too slow for the Premier League but he absolutely dragged us through games in the Championship when we looked lost for ideas. Same for the first season back in the Premier League. He’s a squad player now and I still think he’s got a lot to offer assuming he isn’t going to be in the first team every week.

Guest Howaythetoon

When I say ”strike a ball” I include crossing. His main strength IMO, at least in this team, i.e compared to the likes of Yedlin, Atsu...

Highlighted more because not many others put in crosses really and when they do, they are only marginally less shite/erratic than Ritchie’s. As a footballer (on the ball) he has no redeeming features of note at all. Much like a number of them, I’d include Dummett in that, Lascelles, Yedlin and Hayden, 5 regulars from our Championship season who still start regular when fit today. Says it all...

Some harsh comments in here. It’s easy to re-write history now he’s pace has him too slow for the Premier League but he absolutely dragged us through games in the Championship when we looked lost for ideas. Same for the first season back in the Premier League. He’s a squad player now and I still think he’s got a lot to offer assuming he isn’t going to be in the first team every week.

He’s only a squad player because our squad is shit. I think we’ve all accepted we’re stuck with shit players until Ashley sells.

Guest Howaythetoon

It’s weird but I never warmed to Ritchie. Comes across as a bit of a knob on the pitch. I’d cash in during the summer and sign Willems & Rose.

I quite like him in terms of being a good egg as they all are to be fair, but that’s it. Agreed with the rest of your comment. Light years ahead as footballers over Ritchie and the others who play/get used there!

No issue with Matt Ritchie, but he shouldn't be our 1st choice LWB/LB/LW. If he's coming on as a sub, fair enough. But last night, he was making very stupid fouls in dangerous positions and someone of his age, experience and leadership should NOT be doing that.

Guest Howaythetoon

No issue with Matt Ritchie, but he shouldn't be our 1st choice LWB/LB/LW. If he's coming on as a sub, fair enough. But last night, he was making very stupid fouls in dangerous positions and someone of his age, experience and leadership should NOT be doing that.

Shouldn’t be coming on as a sub any more than say Atsu or Carroll...

To think what our squad would be like today even with half decent investment like Bruce has seen under Rafa allowed to spend it on players of his own choosing...

I could cry :(

To think what our squad would be like today even with half decent investment like Bruce has seen under Rafa allowed to spend it on players of his own choosing...

I mean obviously, I'd rather we not have him and have better backups for those positions. But I see his purpose in the squad when things are ticking along, he's a good pro, a leader in the dressing room, vocal, works hard etc. but if he's supposed to be one of the elders in the team he can't go radgie headless chicken and make those mistakes.

Guest Howaythetoon

I mean obviously, I'd rather we not have him and have better backups for those positions. But I see his purpose in the squad when things are ticking along, he's a good pro, a leader in the dressing room, vocal, works hard etc. but if he's supposed to be one of the elders in the team he can't go radgie headless chicken and make those mistakes.

:thup: