Alan Shearer

Weznufc

Haway man - Henry was better than Shearer.

Depends what you want from your striker. Henry wouldn't have been as good for us for as long a time period as Shearer was.

That's nonsense, to be honest. Shearer's best days weren't even at NUFC.

Henry's goals-to-games ratio though.

Someone worked it out on twatter. First 8 seasons in PL:

Henry - 254 games - 174 goals

Shearer - 253 games - 176 goals

The 'Henry had a better ratio thing' is a myth for the same 'time' period.

Would he have equalled or bettered Shearers record if he'd stayed? Who knows.

Stealing that.

Henry when he was on form was the best in the world, certainly the best of his time. He was lucky to have had a timeframe after the likes of the real Ronaldo, and before the likes of C. Ronaldo and Messi came along. For that time period he was the best, it would be hard to not put him in an all time Premiership 11.

Guest Howaythetoon

Shearer was the better all-round centre-forward or striker, but Henry was the better footballer. Bergkamp mind was even better, as a footballer that is. People forget just how great Shearer was, people wank themselves silly over Costa but he's not a patch on Shearer or the likes of him. He, Henry et al were true greats of the game and their era, players who will be remembered for decades and talked about whenever the subject of world-class strikers/players and goal scorers arise.

Shearer was the better all-round centre-forward or striker, but Henry was the better footballer. Bergkamp mind was even better, as a footballer that is. People forget just how great Shearer was, people w*** themselves silly over Costa but he's not a patch on Shearer or the likes of him. He, Henry et al were true greats of the game and their era, players who will be remembered for decades and talked about whenever the subject of world-class strikers/players and goal scorers arise.

:thup: Especially the Bergkamp part, I think time has forgotten just how great he really was. Henry in particular you can tell learnt a lot from him.

Shearer was the better all-round centre-forward or striker, but Henry was the better footballer. Bergkamp mind was even better, as a footballer that is. People forget just how great Shearer was, people w*** themselves silly over Costa but he's not a patch on Shearer or the likes of him. He, Henry et al were true greats of the game and their era, players who will be remembered for decades and talked about whenever the subject of world-class strikers/players and goal scorers arise.

I think because Shearer didn't tend to beat men with dazzling tricks or, certainly in the latter half of his career, beat defenders for pace, people think he had no technique.  The reality is that Shearer had a brilliant touch on him and a great crossing ability, together with his ability to bring others into the game - that is much a part of your technique as skinning players on the wing is.  Add to that his ability to score every type of goal and you've got an absolutely world class striker.

I think because Shearer didn't tend to beat men with dazzling tricks or, certainly in the latter half of his career, beat defenders for pace, people think he had no technique. 

I've never heard anyone ever imply he had 'no technique'.

I think because Shearer didn't tend to beat men with dazzling tricks or, certainly in the latter half of his career, beat defenders for pace, people think he had no technique. 

I've never heard anyone ever imply he had 'no technique'.

Not on here, but I think in general non-NUFC fans who didn't see Shearer in his prime don't regard his technique as being particularly good.

Got a massive 'soft spot' for Bergkamp. My favorite non-NUFC player by far.

I think because Shearer didn't tend to beat men with dazzling tricks or, certainly in the latter half of his career, beat defenders for pace, people think he had no technique.  The reality is that Shearer had a brilliant touch on him and a great crossing ability, together with his ability to bring others into the game - that is much a part of your technique as skinning players on the wing is.  Add to that his ability to score every type of goal and you've got an absolutely world class striker.

I absolutely agree, well said. I think in today's game players like Shearer are discriminated against because they aren't the typical 'modern' player, the likes of Messi, Aguero, Suarez etc- small, fast players who weave in and out of opponents and always look to get in behind defences. England has a very proud history of producing great strikers, or 'target men', but I feel that we have made ourselves almost feel guilty about those players; like they've gone out of fashion and have no place anymore (which is rubbish, look at the amount of goals scored by a striker from crosses still- Carroll, Dzeko, Manduzkic, Costa, Llorente etc.). But, as people have said, Shearer was a proper CF. An absolute bully but a phenomenal footballer with outstanding technique. How he struck a ball was just unique.

Shearer > Henry, all day every day. As much as I want to be impartial...there's no greater striker the PL has seen and he's up there with the best ever strikers in terms of the last 20 years IMO. Shearer did everything he did with those injuries for team's that completely relied on him at times, and he did it with immense pressure to perform at home in front of his own people. There's over a dozen "factors" that made his job much harder, and when we finally put a squad around him worthy of anything - we were a top 5 side challenging for the title. It was a shame he had those 2 injuries later on and it was a shame we didn't see him longer with Kevin Keegan or Sir Bobby Robson.

I'm saying all this and Henry will go down as one of my favorite ever players as well.

Gareth Bale ‏@GarethBale11 

Starting to feel a bit like @AlanShearerFndn with these headers! Moroccan Madridistas were incredible tonight #21 #halamadrid

Alan Shearer

‏@AlanShearerFndn

@GarethBale11 Thanks. Wish my left foot had been like yours. Imagine how many I would have scored then! AS

:aww:

I don't see why Drogba gets a look-in amongst that company to be honest, besides your Chelsea obsession.

Because he was very good at everything. Created loads, scored loads and frequently excelled himself in the big games. I hope the Chelsea comment is an wayward attempt at humour, like. I'd happily see Stamford Bridge burn to the ground with Mourinho and Abramovich locked inside.

Drogba was the fucking man, like. I'd agree with Ronaldo but I think Rooney's got to be up there as well.

Rooney I didn't include because he's still in his prime. Probably got another 100+ goals to score before his number's up so his career can't really be summed up like the others.

Drogba's ability to get winners in big games has gave him an over inflated reputation.

He's nowhere near the very best in PL history, for starters he only topped 20 PL goals twice in his career. Compare that to the very best and it's quite poor.

In fact those two seasons aside his record is quite similar to someone like Bergkamp a guy who was a more attacking midfielder than anything else.

So no he didn't score loads.