Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

This may be a bit previous & I'm assuming we stay up; but never too early to start looking (Wisey are you looking?).

Anyway, I'll include the following realistic targets, for positions that need looking at based on the speed, guile, height, attitude, strength, leadership, vision that we currently do not have & given our present crop that possible list includes most other PL players. I'll leave out FM rated players:

Bridge, Papa Diop, Nolan, Barnes, SWP, K Jones, Gudjonsen, Crouch, Bentley (realistic?).

Not many readily spring to mind, we need a top class central defender & I can't think of one that we would realistically attract. We could go with Faye but I'm not sure that is the answer. We also need a top class target man, who is mobile, can bring others into play & who can score. Not easy & the mackems may just have one.

Xabi Alonso maybe worth a go? Seems to be out of favour at Liverpool (unless he's injured and I'm sorely mistaken) and would probably be a cheaper alternative to signing the likes of Carrick.

Nolan is no improvement on Barton imo and I personally don't rate Gudjohnson - see him as more of a grafter type player and I don't think that's what we need. Diop or maybe Muntari would be just what we need along with a playmaker in the middle of the field. SWP's not realistic imo being a Chelsea regular but Bentley on the other hand I can see leaving with the right price, around £10-15 mill.

I'm not sure about buying a new target man as I think Owen and Martins should both be given a go up front where they haven't really been seen together first.

I think Keegan will go for a left back, centre back, right back, right wing and 2 centre mids.

Left back: I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't sell Enrique simply because he doesn't get forward enough, Wayne Bridge would be the obvious target unless Vetere can find someone Keegan likes from overseas.

Centre back: Keegan has spoke about the need to be able to play the ball out from the back, Cacapa's probably the best on the ball out of our centre backs and I think Keegan will look for better, no idea who.

Right back: With Carr out of contract at the end of the season he'll need to bring someone else in, maybe Wes Brown on a free transfer since it's not a desperate position we need to fill.

Right Wing: Has to be SWP. Unrealistic? Maybe, but Chelsea are a team that always look to improve on their starting 11 and if SWP got the chance to work with Keegan again or be sat on Chelsea's bench I think he'd come here.

Centre Midfield 1: I think he'll look to bring in a ball playing holding man, Carrick would be the obvious choice but if he's unrealistic then I'd like to see us go for Huddlestone.

Centre Midfield 2: David Bentley, I know he's been playing out on the right but I think his future is in the middle, I've said on here before that though the middle with a decent team around him he could go on to be as good as Gerrard, he's got the lot.

I can see us getting a few young players in too, Barnes and that Czech lad we were looking at in January, not sure if Keegan will buy a striker yet unless someone of real quality becomes available.

Just looking at that list of players it's obvious to me we'll have to do most of the shopping abroad.

D'Alessandro, Rosina, Pandev, Appiah etc. There's loads of players out there.

*waits to be accused of playing football manager because i've mentioned johnny foreigners*

You don't think we need another striker, Baggio?

???

That list is the positions I think Keegan will look to fill, I'd sign a new striker but I'm not sure if Keegan will.

Get a list up anyone instead of picking holes in mine. :smug:

Just looking at that list of players it's obvious to me we'll have to do most of the shopping abroad.

*waits to be accused of playing football manager because i've mentioned johnny foreigners*

Jesus, i just realised that D'Alessandro moved to Panathinaikos in jan for 3m euros. Surprised no prem teams(ie US) were interested after how he played for Pompey.

Xabi Alonso maybe worth a go? Seems to be out of favour at Liverpool (unless he's injured and I'm sorely mistaken) and would probably be a cheaper alternative to signing the likes of Carrick.

Err, why would a regular in the Spanish national team who is constantly linked with a move to Barcelona or Real Madrid a) join Newcastle and b) cost less than Michael Carrick?

Err, why would a regular in the Spanish national team who is constantly linked with a move to Barcelona or Real Madrid a) join Newcastle and b) cost less than Michael Carrick?

Thought he'd be cheaper as a) Carrick's English and b) Carrick's a regular at United whereas the same can't be said about Alonso. But you're probably right about the other point.

Jesus, i just realised that D'Alessandro moved to Panathinaikos in jan for 3m euros. Surprised no prem teams(ie US) were interested after how he played for Pompey.

D`Allesandro moved back to Argentina to San Lorenzo on loan

Guest johnson293

From BBC:

Manchester City defender Richard Dunne is considering buying out the last 12 months of his contract so he can leave the club this summer. (Mirror)

He would be a realistic target, having played under KK before.

From BBC:

Manchester City defender Richard Dunne is considering buying out the last 12 months of his contract so he can leave the club this summer. (Mirror)

don`t know why he wants to buy out his contract. City are doing well and he`s a regular. I don`t think any of the top 4 clubs would be after him

From BBC:

Here'a the article. He is actually linked with us.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/2008/02/13/dunne-deal-or-goodbye-89520-20317737/

Richard Dunne may exit Manchester City for a knockdown £1.5million this summer.

Dunne is understood to be frustrated at the impasse in talks over a new deal and could take advantage of a FIFA ruling to leave.

Article 17 of FIFA's transfer regulations says that players over the age of 28 who have served at least two years can buy out the remaining 12 months of their contract.

The £10million-rated City skipper, who is being eyed up by Newcastle, could leave once he has paid City around £1.5m.

Dunne, 28, is aware of the FIFA ruling but would prefer to stay and commit his best years to the club.

However, the defender is disappointed with the club's opening offer and wants a pay rise which reflects his age and status as City's best performer of the last few years. He is currently on £28,000 a week.