General press coverage

Optimistic Nut

Gary Speed today;

“The day football broke my heart was the day I left Newcastle. That was so hard to take. But football breaks your heart all the time.”

Think I've said before on here but I still find it crazy to think one more season with us and we probably would've overtaken Leeds as his most appeared for club. Just always felt like he'd made a ton more appearances for them than us.

Still remember the day I heard the news about him.  Absolutely devastating - can't say a death of well known figure has ever particularly hit me, but when the news broke, it was just awful.  He seemed like such a great guy and a brilliant player.

Still remember the day I heard the news about him.  Absolutely devastating - can't say a death of well known figure has ever particularly hit me, but when the news broke, it was just awful.  He seemed like such a great guy and a brilliant player.

Very much the same - the only one that hit me in a similar way was Chris Cornell. Good blokes both, gone too soon.

Doesn't that article state the opposite though?

" In truth, it is questionable how important facilities are in the grand scheme of things, especially in this day and age. “If you’re moving within the Premier League, you’re not going to be blown away by anybody’s facilities now because Brighton’s training ground is not far off Tottenham’s training ground,” says an agent.

“No player is signing for a club based on the stadium or the training ground. You might be impressed by it but you’re signing because the deal is the right deal, it’s a bigger club than the one you’re at, or if you’ve moving down it’s a club that is going to give you an opportunity to play.” "

It most certainly is. It's outdated and not fit for purpose facilities wise. But, I honestly believe that 98% of footballer look for the money first (not that we're paying enough to lure them here anyways when other clubs are in for them), playing time and style, manager etc. before facilities. Our problem is, we don't have any of it to attract the right calibre of players at the moment. A state of the art training centre wouldn't help much with Ashley/Bruce in command and low-balling clubs and players.

• 2 weeks later...

Has it been spoken about much before? Seems to have gone over my head if so as it feels like the first I've heard about it.

Don't think it would be a terrible idea in theory but for the fact as usual it just benefits the big boys. A CL team could theoretically play in all three competitions if they lose EL and/or CL qualifiers. So a lesser team could fight their way through all four Conference qualifiers, finish second in their group but would then get shafted by a playoff with a team that finished 3rd in the EL groups, who could also have been a CL dropout. And middling teams will get a team in the CL qualifiers then three or four in the Conference, with no EL spots?

Seems like a not too crazy idea that's now been made lopsided by the usual pandering to certain types of clubs. Be surprised if this doesn't go the way of the Intertoto even faster than the Intertoto did.

It’s mad how little british fans value european competition. New league and I didn’t even know it existed.

I was the exact same! When I saw the article headline, I assumed it was a new International competition!

Feels like he wants to out himself with this new “get your truth from me and not them” vibe. I really enjoyed the parody when it was taking the piss out of Ashley in a witty manner, but it just seems the account holder suddenly wants to become more “active” or something...

Feels like he wants to out himself with this new “get your truth from me and not them” vibe. I really enjoyed the parody when it was taking the piss out of Ashley in a witty manner, but it just seems the account holder suddenly wants to become more “active” or something...

went into overdrive yesterday like