Matt Ritchie

Fenham Mag

Missed an open goal and gave a 96th min free kick on the cusp of the penalty area.

But yeah, those (ineffective) crosses.

You talking about the pinpoint cross he put over for our 2nd goal here? Never touched him for their last minute free kick either.

Missed an open goal and gave a 96th min free kick on the cusp of the penalty area.

You talking about the pinpoint cross he put over for our 2nd goal here? Never touched him for their last minute free kick either.

It was stupid to go in like that, dive or no.

When the ball is put to his foot on a dead-ball situation - like that one - with no-one near him - he can do the business.

When its played forward to him in any sort of attacking situation, he checks back and sucks momentum from the move. Did it twice tonight, including a sure-fire 2-on-2....he chickened out. Against f*cking Burnley.

When the ball is put to his foot on a dead-ball situation - like that one - with no-one near him - he can do the business.

When its played forward to him in any sort of attacking situation, he checks back and sucks momentum from the move. Did it twice tonight, including a sure-fire 2-on-2....he chickened out. Against f*cking Burnley.

I'm far from his biggest fan but that's all crap. "Did it twice tonight" yes well he received the ball a few more times than that in total and made a variety of decisions. It's about controlling the game. Sometimes you go for the quick cross but sometimes its better to check back and rotate the ball through defense keeping the ball a while.

I'm far from his biggest fan but that's all crap. "Did it twice tonight" yes well he received the ball a few more times than that in total and made a variety of decisions. It's about controlling the game. Sometimes you go for the quick cross but sometimes its better to check back and rotate the ball through defense keeping the ball a while.

Agree with that last bit, sometimes it is appropriate. But is a 2-on-2 scenario where you have broke at pace really the best time to check back and allow the defense to regroup? That move came to nothing when it could've killed the game. It's frustrating to see because players of a lot less ability take on such a move, I just dont know what he was scared would happen.

I like Ritchie but any time he has the ball going forward it seems clear we need an upgrade.

The miss was terrible obviously but I'd strike that down as that could happen to anyone.

Miss aside I thought he was excellent tbh.

looks better on the left imo, though the quality wasn't quite there last night whenever he got the ball out wide towards their goal he got his head up instantly and looked to whip it in the box for rondon...when he's on the right he inevitably slows the game down when he cuts back onto his left

Miss aside I thought he was excellent tbh.

looks better on the left imo, though the quality wasn't quite there last night whenever he got the ball out wide towards their goal he got his head up instantly and looked to whip it in the box for rondon...when he's on the right he inevitably slows the game down when he cuts back onto his left

He’s been pretty poor this season on the right, but he hasn’t done much in the spells at left wing he’s been afforded either. He did a great job in an unfamiliar role, and looked a different player that we have seen so far this season.

He was very good but thinking about it more, I think maybe that was because Burnley weren't expecting us to set up like that and Lennon and their right back weren't sure about who was to pick him. He was allowed a lot of free space on the left without being picked up

He needs to add goals to be worth his spot, he works hard and can put in a decent cross, but his lack of pace restricts his threat out wide. If he was banging a few in regularly you could overlook it.

I like the system. When all are fit we could see Lejeune for Clark, Lascelles will no doubt replace Schar and we can rotate the midfield depending on the opposition.

:thup: Gives us a solid defensive base with opportunities to counter attack, and gives us an advantage on set pieces with those CBs on the pitch. An extra bit of creativity and a more clinical striker and we're cooking on gas.

He needs to add goals to be worth his spot, he works hard and can put in a decent cross, but his lack of pace restricts his threat out wide. If he was banging a few in regularly you could overlook it.

With Atsu and Murphy the only people banging on the door I don't think he has to many worries.

I like the system. When all are fit we could see Lejeune for Clark, Lascelles will no doubt replace Schar and we can rotate the midfield depending on the opposition.

Clark on the left of that three is better suited imo. Dummett too. Need a bit more pace on the sides of a back 3 imo and a left-footer is a big help. Never liked Lejeune on the turn.