Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest chopey

So the takeover that was never on and there was no evidence for and the 2 + 2 maths involved added up to about 54 is now off !!!!!!!

I'm devastated

Former Newcastle United chairman Sir John Hall has revealed that Mike Ashley said he wanted to buy the club to help him sell his Sports Direct goods in the Far East.

Hall sold his shares in the Magpies to Ashley in 2007, having presided over a fantastic 15 years at the helm of the club. Ashley’s time with Newcastle has been rather less successful, though.

Hall has had his say: “In my day the owners were all local millionaires,” he said, as per The Chronicle’s news and transfer centre [23/05; 14:15]. “Today, there’s no local millionaires like ourselves.

“I got a call one day from some of Ashley’s people. I was going to London and I met them and we did a deal. And I said ‘why do you want the club?’ and they said – his words to me from his team were – ‘we want to market the sports goods in the Far East. It would be very helpful if we had a brand in soccer’.

“So in effect they were buying it, at a good price, and they were going to use it to, basically, sell their goods in the Far East and other places.”

So in effect he's never going to sell up, because it's all about his sporting business.

Good going Mr. Hall. Good going.

He's not leaving unless he's forced to simple as that. Whether that's us forcing him out, him needing the money desperately, or he gets caught for something illegal and has to sell.

Unfortunately I can't see any of those scenarios happening any time soon.

He’s here forever.

If Sports Direct ever go tits up, he can always fall back on the club and siphon 30m out of the club every season. Sort of like he’s doing already.

Why would he get rid of his rainy day fund?

I can't see him selling willingly either but I don't think just bleeding the club dry is such an easy feet.

Only a manager of rafa's calibre can keep us in the league with minimal investment. On the flip side a manager of this stature won't be content with feeding off scraps.

I think the most likely event is we become a yoyo club and Ashley considers selling us when can't get us back the Premier league at the first time of asking.

Guest chopey

I can't see him selling willingly either but I don't think just bleeding the club dry is such an easy feet.

Only a manager of rafa's calibre can keep us in the league with minimal investment. On the flip side a manager of this stature won't be content with feeding off scraps.

I think the most likely event is we become a yoyo club and Ashley considers selling us when can't get us back the Premier league at the first time of asking.

Pardew kept us up for 5 year on a shoestring ad he also kept his mouth shut apart from when he was defending "Mike", why not just go back in for him

Former Newcastle United chairman Sir John Hall has revealed that Mike Ashley said he wanted to buy the club to help him sell his Sports Direct goods in the Far East.

Hall sold his shares in the Magpies to Ashley in 2007, having presided over a fantastic 15 years at the helm of the club. Ashley’s time with Newcastle has been rather less successful, though.

Hall has had his say: “In my day the owners were all local millionaires,” he said, as per The Chronicle’s news and transfer centre [23/05; 14:15]. “Today, there’s no local millionaires like ourselves.

“I got a call one day from some of Ashley’s people. I was going to London and I met them and we did a deal. And I said ‘why do you want the club?’ and they said – his words to me from his team were – ‘we want to market the sports goods in the Far East. It would be very helpful if we had a brand in soccer’.

“So in effect they were buying it, at a good price, and they were going to use it to, basically, sell their goods in the Far East and other places.”

So in effect he's never going to sell up, because it's all about his sporting business.

Good going Mr. Hall. Good going.

hang about man, how would hall know he'd necessarily be the type of cunt who would think a good strategy to promote his brand would be absolute chaos and relegations from the most popular football league in the world? :lol:

the red bull clubs etc. still manage to compete as actual football clubs...sports direct as tacky and shite but if he'd ran the club properly from the start 12 years ago literally none of us would have give a single fuck

What he claimed he was using the club for is irrelevant, it's the fact that he clearly has never had the club's best interest at heart. And SJH knew that was the case, going off those comments.

No professional football club should be secondary to a fucking sports shop or any other business.

Mike, how hard can it be ffs? He told your Thumb mate what he wanted in order to sign a new contract back in March. You’ve had two months to work out the sums on Charner’s Fisher Price My First Calculator as to whether you can do it or not.

What the fuck exactly is there to talk about?!

I don't think MA is adroit enough to develop a long term strategy and stick with it.  What's SD done in the Far East?  I see a dreamer who bulls his way to short term results and then loses interest in his projects.  I swear it is only his ego that has kept him from selling the club years ago.  He knows he didn't do his due diligence when he bought the club, he felt he was duped, and he wants to feel like he got a premium when he sells on.

I don't think MA is adroit enough to develop a long term strategy and stick with it.  What's SD done in the Far East?  I see a dreamer who bulls his way to short term results and then loses interest in his projects.  I swear it is only his ego that has kept him from selling the club years ago.  He knows he didn't do his due diligence when he bought the club, he felt he was duped, and he wants to feel like he got a premium when he sells on.

Not far wrong this. Just applies his barrow boy methods to everything. Probs got us in the 1st place because that’s what billionaires do.

What he claimed he was using the club for is irrelevant, it's the fact that he clearly has never had the club's best interest at heart. And SJH knew that was the case, going off those comments.

No professional football club should be secondary to a fucking sports shop or any other business.

Going off the comments he 'did a deal' and only then thought to ask what they wanted the club for. Cash is king it seems.

Guest covmag

Just compare accounts and award the trophies based on that. Save everyone a lot of time and hassle.

Its what most fans want to have for their club though in truth. A rich rich owner prepared to splash it.