Squad & tactics (2023/24)

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Absolutely no way he will sell Perez IMO.

I honestly think Diame will be considered as a CM this season and that De Jong will stay too.

That's plausible. We could do worse than Diame as Shelvey's back-up. Ideally we sell Saivet and/or Colback (preferably both) and bring in a DM like McCarthy or Samaris as well as a CAM to compete with de Jong and Perez.

CM: Shelvey, Diame

DM: McCarthy/Samaris, Hayden

CAM: New CAM, de Jong, Perez

Perez won't be on much, surely?

Perez I don't see leaving. But we need to shift Diame and De Jong or risk not being able to add a new body. We have 22 outfield positions available and an overload of crappy midfielders and second strikers considering we would like to improve on those areas.

Guest chopey

Think we will end up with Rolan and Clucas and some obscure goalkeeper as our last three signings and start the season with that.

Whether thats with or without Rafa as our manager remains to be seen.

I still think our transfer record will be broken

Think we will end up with Rolan and Clucas and some obscure goalkeeper as our last three signings and start the season with that.

Whether thats with or without Rafa as our manager remains to be seen.

I still think our transfer record will be broken

I'd love to see that but I'm not so sure but I think that would be a boost that everybody needs especially if the signing was of genuine proven quality. It certainly would do a lot for the relationship between Rafa and those upstairs too.

A statement of intent still badly needed.

Only just realised we have 35 players on the books who would require a squad place to be used for them in the PL this season.

Of those you'd imagine Sterry, Gillesphey, Findlay, Smith, El-Mhanni and Toney will find themselves out on loan to drop this to 29 (again, in all cases bar El-Mhanni).

In addition to this there's an argument to be made for Aarons doing the same, which could drop it to 28, though at the current time it seems unlikely.

That still leaves us with plenty of deadweight, but there's a case for Haidara (small), Saivet (small), De Jong (decent) and Mitrovic (decent) to be kept on.

That would leave us trying to flog Krul, Gamez, Hanley, Good, Lazaar and Riviere (none of whom seem to have any future).

Still loads to do :anguish:

Aarons seems to be favoured by Rafa.  Reckon he'll be part of the 25.

I think so as well, but I'm pretty sure he'll be aware of the elevated risk of ending up with an "empty" space until January if he does this. He's effectively missed 2.5 seasons with 3 different injuries in the last 3 years now. He has started each season "fit", as well.

Was really just falling back on the "Gayle works best with Diame" thing. Although I'd like to think that if De Jong stays and remains fit he'd be a better foil.

Don't like Perez + Gayle much at all.

Currently a squad of misfits, rejects and gambles. I think our comparative lack of funds and big squad is hampering us big time.

Other than Ritchie I don't see anyone in our squad that doesn't have something to prove in the premiership, doubters to prove wrong or won't be in last chance saloon. Almost seems that's the signing prerogative too. Which might be a masterstroke or the death knell of our premiership survival.

One thing i can for sure say is that i have long envied the fight and passion promoted and smaller teams have brought to the premier league. Provided the motivation is there from the coaching staff i think we will see that for the first time in many years.

Was really just falling back on the "Gayle works best with Diame" thing. Although I'd like to think that if De Jong stays and remains fit he'd be a better foil.

Don't like Perez + Gayle much at all.

I see a poor man's Sheringham & Cole there. I'll be happy with that too.

Currently a squad of misfits, rejects and gambles. I think our comparative lack of funds and big squad is hampering us big time.

Other than Ritchie I don't see anyone in our squad that doesn't have something to prove in the premiership, doubters to prove wrong or won't be in last chance saloon. Almost seems that's the signing prerogative too. Which might be a masterstroke or the death knell of our premiership survival.

One thing i can for sure say is that i have long envied the fight and passion promoted and smaller teams have brought to the premier league. Provided the motivation is there from the coaching staff i think we will see that for the first time in many years.

:thup:

Like the general thought behind this post. Although I did have the same feeling when we came up last time. It was nice being the underdogs and being led by a good man/manager while it lasted and we had some cracking results early on.

Elliot; Yedlin, Lejeune, Clark, Dummett; Hayden, Shelvey; Ritchie, Diame, Murphy; Gayle

Is this our current best XI?

Those would be squad fillers for most sides in the Premier. It's worryingly short of proven Premier class.