Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

This piracy thing that seems to be the main excuse for holding the deal up; what exactly is the issue?

BeIn Sports (Qatar) own the rights to the PL in the Middle East.

As part of an economic blockade of Qatar, Saudi Arabia banned broadcasts from Qatar into Saudi Arabia

A TV station was set up, called BeOut Sports, that appeared to pirate BeIn’s PL broadcasts via a communications satellite provider ArabSat, broadcasting these into Saudi Arabia and beyond (including France)

At issue is whether PIF (buying NUFC) is connected to BeOut and/or ArabSat. And how closely connected. And whether the fact the broadcasts have stopped matter. And lots of attendant issues.

There’s a post a few pages back from someone called “Football Laws” that is quite thorough...

Keep banging this drum but as a Saudi resident, the beoutq thing was pretty flagrant. They were organizing and advertising (on terrestrial tv channels and huge billboards as well) these beoutq viewing tents for the World Cup. Just have to hope that the PIF legal team have done an extensive amount of prep-work.

This piracy thing that seems to be the main excuse for holding the deal up; what exactly is the issue?

BeIn Sports (Qatar) own the rights to the PL in the Middle East.

As part of an economic blockade of Qatar, Saudi Arabia banned broadcasts from Qatar into Saudi Arabia

A TV station was set up, called BeOut Sports, that appeared to pirate BeIn’s PL broadcasts via a communications satellite provider ArabSat, broadcasting these into Saudi Arabia and beyond (including France)

At issue is whether PIF (buying NUFC) is connected to BeOut and/or ArabSat. And how closely connected. And whether the fact the broadcasts have stopped matter. And lots of attendant issues.

There’s a post a few pages back from someone called “Football Laws” that is quite thorough...

Perfect summary, thank you.

Keep banging this drum but as a Saudi resident, the beoutq thing was pretty flagrant. They were organizing and advertising (on terrestrial tv channels and huge billboards as well) these beoutq viewing tents for the World Cup. Just have to hope that the PIF legal team have done an extensive amount of prep-work.

Just have to hope the Premier League is greedy enough to ignore it or find a loophole, more like.

Guest godzilla

Just have to hope the Premier League is greedy enough to ignore it or find a loophole, more like.

Personally I think it boils down to if PIF can be classed as a separate legal entity as per the opinion of that Football Lawyer article.

Personally I think it boils down to if PIF can be classed as a separate legal entity as per the opinion of that Football Lawyer article.

I think it's actually is even more simple than that:

• If the Premier League doesn't want the takeover to happen they will find an excuse to block it; or
  • If the Premier League does want the takeover to happen they will find an excuse to let it pass the O&D Test.

Beyond this, I think there are a few variables to option #2 that may impact the timing, those being:

• Can the Premier League use this takeover as a way to extort some extra funding from the Saudis;
  • Can the Premier League use this takeover process as a way to force the Saudis to do some things, whilst the Premier League has some leverage over them; and/or
  • Does the Premier League feel it needs to spend a chunk of time "evaluating the purchase" to avoid some bad publicity?

If the Premier League does intend to block it, the only reason to delay is to pretend that they gave it some serious consideration as an attempt to convince the supporters of Newcastle United that the process was not a fraud, and to try and derive enough legal protection so that the buying consortium doesn't sue them into oblivion.

Perhaps the PL dont have a preference. It's not a case of whether they want it to happen. That's just conspiracy theorist bullshit, intended to make an excuse for why the PL might block it. There wont be an agenda, other than to avoid a shit storm.

The most likely scenario is that their legal team will look at all the evidence and make a recommendation to the executive based on that.

It's taking so long because their legal team has most probably being trying to work out their position with regards to paying the TV companies who havent been able to show football and where they stand legally on sending footballers back to work.

Theres no grand conspiracy, it's just tedious as fuck.

I've never been 100% confident, but I'm not any less confident because it's taking considerably more time than people who are not involved in the process said it should take :)  Ashley's continued silence speaks volumes to me.

I've never been 100% confident, but I'm not any less confident because it's taking considerably more time than people who are not involved in the process said it should take :)  Ashley's continued silence speaks volumes to me.

Interesting take. I think as far as he’s concerned he’s just waiting for the money.

Is everyone on here who has been 100% confident since day 1 of this going through, still feeling the same way?

I absolutely was on the 100% bandwagon.

The very first time I started to doubt was reading the Football Laws article (which ironically concluded it would go ahead in their opinion). The article suggested there is a very strong case to block it, but they ended with "we don't think they will".

So I wake up expecting one day to be *the day*, but no, I'm not 100% anymore. Maybe 95.

Depends what mood i'm in and also what I've read about it on that particular day, but yes, I'm still confident overall.

I'm consoling myself that this latest lot of questions from the PL is to cover every angle possible and avoid there being any sort of ambiguity should the decision be challenged. They'll be covering their arses in the most robust manner they can.

So the WTO report isn't final as it allows time for both parties to appeal, but as it apparently supports Qatar's claims we can assume they won't.

Then if the Saudi's appeal, it would delay the report which would the PL then use to drag out their review? If the Saudi's don't appeal against the report, is that tacit acceptance of the claims which could then be used against them by the PL?

Or am I over reaching?

So the WTO report isn't final as it allows time for both parties to appeal, but as it apparently supports Qatar's claims we can assume they won't.

Then if the Saudi's appeal, it would delay the report which would the PL then use to drag out their review? If the Saudi's don't appeal against the report, is that tacit acceptance of the claims which could then be used against them by the PL?

Or am I over reaching?

Just have a beer.

Or am I over reaching?

Just have a beer.

I think the constant telling everyone to calm down is stressing me out more than the takeover now.

Or am I over reaching?

Just have a beer.

:lol:

I'm not particularly stressed to be fair, but if this was the new information everyone went on about then assume its being considered. Just seems a lose-lose almost.