Video Assistant Referees (VAR)

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's absolutely fucking miserable in basketball man :lol: It takes them forever and then they have to fuck around with the clock as well.

When was it introduced? And have they taken steps to address this criticism? One thing I don't like is how long it takes, you're right, and you only see the two officials huddled around a monitor. Again, it didn't really affect my overall excitement of the game, it was a minor stoppage in play. In football, especially, watching teams like Stoke comes with far more stoppages and pain.

It's absolutely fucking miserable in basketball man :lol: It takes them forever and then they have to fuck around with the clock as well.

When was it introduced? And have they taken steps to address this criticism? One thing I don't like is how long it takes, you're right, and you only see the two officials huddled around a monitor. Again, it didn't really affect my overall excitement of the game, it was a minor stoppage in play. In football, especially, watching teams like Stoke comes with far more stoppages and pain.

I would say that the major difference is the importance of a goal in football vs scoring in basketball. The feeling of celebrating a goal in football really isn't mimicked in basketball unless you're in buzzer beater territory, at which point the VAR/stare at the monitor process is a little more palatable anyway. VAR in it's current implementation robs the fans of really feeling that rush after their team scores. Whether it's chalked off or not.

I like the idea of VAR. We've got a great game administered by corrupt organisations and poor officials.

The problem is VAR is administered by the same corrupt organisations and poor officials. With regards to Newcastle, let's wait and see. This could go either way.

Officials will always get things wrong, or at least do things people disagree with.  Its rare people agree on here or anywhere else after seeing incidents many times over.  At least VAR removes the "ref didn't see it/was in a bad position" excuse.  It should also improve in how its used given time as well, so I'm all for it.

I would say that the major difference is the importance of a goal in football vs scoring in basketball. The feeling of celebrating a goal in football really isn't mimicked in basketball unless you're in buzzer beater territory, at which point the VAR/stare at the monitor process is a little more palatable anyway. VAR in it's current implementation robs the fans of really feeling that rush after their team scores. Whether it's chalked off or not.

I never feel that rush about us scoring in the moment even without VAR, because I always expect our goals to be disallowed.  I mean even our penalties get fucking disallowed after we score FFS!

To echo the previous comment, review in basketball is awful. The delays take far too long for fairly unimportant decisions, and just like football we are now stuck with reviewing the intent of someone's arm position when they are quickly moving in tight areas or zooming in to molecular level to see if the ball clipped someone's fingertip, well beyond anything the naked eye could interpret. They limit a lot of this to the last two minutes of the game or half, just to limit the annoyance of seeing a 47 year old part-time worker from Baton Rouge, Louisiana attempt to decipher how many tenths of a second are left, whether a small part of the ball was still in the cylinder, and other minutiae of a game that is played a very high speed. The quality and fairness of officiating has also not improved with review, imo.

Basketball and football are both games that are primarily enjoyable to watch and play because of the free-flowing and creative nature of the games. Review interruptions are more harmful here than other sports.

:lol:

Love the theory of VAR.

Cannot see a version of it that I think would be acceptable in the game. It actively detracts from the enjoyment of the game. Right decision or not. Which is often still debatable.

Technology needs to come a long way for me not to hate it. The only thing I think they could feasibly do anytime soon is have offside be adjudged by a robot lino. Other than that, nee chance VAR can be implemented in a manner that isn't tiresome as fuck.

This is the start and the finish of it for me, really. Nice idea, pity it can't be involved in a practical way that doesn't diminish the sport as a spectacle.

I've also seen how terrible VAR can be when the most awful version of it was implemented in the Australian A-League.

As for the continuous clock, I often compare the play (i.e. tactics and movement) of Australian Football to real football to outsiders, and they stop the clock in a way that positively effects the play. It's certainly a more fair comparison than league, which is about as stop-start as sport gets. Does Gaelic football use a continuous, or stopped, clock?

:lol:

Love the theory of VAR.

Cannot see a version of it that I think would be acceptable in the game. It actively detracts from the enjoyment of the game. Right decision or not. Which is often still debatable.

Technology needs to come a long way for me not to hate it. The only thing I think they could feasibly do anytime soon is have offside be adjudged by a robot lino. Other than that, nee chance VAR can be implemented in a manner that isn't tiresome as f***.

This is the start and the finish of it for me, really. Nice idea, pity it can't be involved in a practical way that doesn't diminish the sport as a spectacle.

I've also seen how terrible VAR can be when the most awful version of it was implemented in the Australian A-League.

As for the continuous clock, I often compare the play (i.e. tactics and movement) of Australian Football to real football to outsiders, and they stop the clock in a way that positively effects the play. It's certainly a more fair comparison than league, which is about as stop-start as sport gets. Does Gaelic football use a continuous, or stopped, clock?

Continuous. My issue with a stopped clock is that I think it would lead to longer stoppages as there isn't the need to get it back started as quickly as possible

Continuous. My issue with a stopped clock is that I think it would lead to longer stoppages as there isn't the need to get it back started as quickly as possible

In AFL there is a "shot clock" for what is (I guess) the equivalent of free kicks (which could also be applied to throw ins).

I'm not all-in for a stopped clock, and I can't see FIFA or UEFA ever going for it, just saying there is a comparable sport that works in a way that could be translated to football

So yesterday, France got to retake a missed penalty because the Nigerian keeper was an inch off her line thanks to VAR. However, on the retake, a French player encroached by a yard but it wasn't retaken (or given a free kick to Nigeria, as would be the Championship protocol). Glad that VAR is making things fair, and I'm sure it's just a coincidence that the host nation gets the advantage here.

So yesterday, France got to retake a missed penalty because the Nigerian keeper was an inch off her line thanks to VAR. However, on the retake, a French player encroached by a yard but it wasn't retaken (or given a free kick to Nigeria, as would be the Championship protocol). Glad that VAR is making things fair, and I'm sure it's just a coincidence that the host nation gets the advantage here.

Not only that but the first penalty wasn’t saved it actually missed the target.

On average it is :thup:

Impossible for VAR to get everything right with the stupidity of some of the Refs using it.

VAR is all about improving the ratio which it is thankfully.

Impossible for VAR to get everything right with the stupidity of some of the Refs using it.

As long as it benefits the right team

I agree and even 'when' it pisses us off royally next season if it was a correct decision we can live with losing the odd goal knowing it has happened to Liverpool and City too. Our home game against Liverpool was in fact 2-2 and maybe next year VAR helps the small teams live with the biggies.

How many goals would Manure have lost in this last 30 years with VAR - a damn site more than most due to Fergies intimidation etc.

More penalties next season though I reckon...watch what you're doing in your own box...The Hills Have Eyes.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike Riley.

I actually think handball is in a really good place in this country, and that's the message that we get from all the clubs - from the managers and the players - when we go and talk to them.”

”We have a philosophy that says we want handball to be something that has an impact on the game.”

Can’t wait for VAR to be blamed for harsh handballs :laugh:

Handballs need to have less of an impact not more.

I’d like to see handballs be indirect free kicks unless it’s a clear case of deliberate/moving of the arm to hand ball/stop the ball in the penalty area.

Someone deliberately moving their arm to stop the ball in the area(Penalty) compared to someone having the ball strike their arm(Indirect free kick) = Less harsh handball penalties.