Alan Shearer

Weznufc

I'd say Bergkamp's the most technically gifted player to have played in the Premiership. That vision man.

Can't bare to read his book, btw. Too depressing. Vision on the pitch was phenomenal, sure, but his general vision of football is wonderful too. Lightyears away from what we've got going on.

I will finish it, like. In all seriousness by tablet's broken - which is the main reason why I haven't. But still.

It was a very smart move of Mourinho's to bring Drogba back. Despite his age, he's still a player who most defenders would dread facing. He very nearly turned round a losing position for them last week.

And of course, in his day, he was key to them winning the league.

Guest firetotheworks

The highest level of quality and dominance that I've seen from any player in the PL in one season is between Shearer 94/95, Henry 03/04, Ronaldo 07/08 (I think) and Suarez 13/14, but overall it has to come down to Shearer and Henry, both consistently outstanding for years. Both absolutely unstoppable.

It was a very smart move of Mourinho's to bring Drogba back. Despite his age, he's still a player who most defenders would dread facing. He very nearly turned round a losing position for them last week.

And of course, in his day, he was key to them winning the league.

He's come up a few times this season hasn't he? Seems like he is making a nice transition in his game as he loses his physical ability. He has always been a crafty player so I'm not surprised.

It's an even nicer move from Mourinho when you think about how Drogba'll be willing to take a pay cut after his stint at a chinese club that doesn't pay its athletes

Guest firetotheworks

I can't imagine him being given the chance that he had at Chelsea. He didn't have the best of starts there, did he? My memory's a bit fuzzy on that one, though.

Bergkamp was one of my favorite players to watch. I remember scrambling with my brother to watch the PL highlights show just to see the Arsenal game. I think lack of European success denied several players from that Arsenal side the right to be named alongside people like Zidane or Ronaldinho, imho - which probably they deserved on ability alone.

I don't see why Drogba gets a look-in amongst that company to be honest, besides your Chelsea obsession.

Because he was very good at everything. Created loads, scored loads and frequently excelled himself in the big games. I hope the Chelsea comment is an wayward attempt at humour, like. I'd happily see Stamford Bridge burn to the ground with Mourinho and Abramovich locked inside.

:lol: Fair enough.  "Wayward attempt at humour" FFS. :lol:

I agree with Ronaldo despite also agreeing with 'polics comment regarding his Chelsea obsession ;).

Thierry Henry is the best footballer I saw in this league fwiw. He had couple years where he was just so unstoppable it was ridiculous.

Guest firetotheworks

Did you see Shearer at Blackburn?

Fwiw, I think over shorter periods of time (ie one season) Ronaldo and Suarez are the most unstoppable I've ever seen. Always remember that goal Ronaldo scored against Fulham away in '06/07 where he picked it up in his own half and banged one in after cutting in. I think that was the point where he truly started to look like something above everyone else in the league.

Did you see Shearer at Blackburn?

Fwiw, I think over shorter periods of time (ie one season) Ronaldo and Suarez are the most unstoppable I've ever seen. Always remember that goal Ronaldo scored against Fulham away in '06/07 where he picked it up in his own half and banged one in after cutting in. I think that was the point where he truly started to look like something above everyone else in the league.

Didn't even deserve the win that day, and in the following game we didn't deserve anything off Liverpool and O'Shea scored a 91st minute winner. It was Ronaldo's goal that effectively sealed the title that year though.

Shearer was at his best for goals when he played for Blackburn.  It's not great shock that in a title challenging team he was more effective in that regard.  He was even more effective in most of those years than Suarez and Ronaldo as a goalscorer.  You can argue that they bring more all round play, but that's also to overlook Shearer's abilities because he's a more traditional number 9.  He was a great footballer, hold up man and did contribute to the team, working hard from the front and never giving a minute's peace to defenders. 

The amount of 20 and 30 plus goal premier league seasons he has to his record it utterly immense.  It's something he has over all his peers over a sustained period as well.  I wouldn't necessarily put him in the same league as Henry and Bergkamp for Football ability, or Drobga for sheer power and hold up play, but as an all rounder he works out as the one I'd choose to have up front in my team.  If he'd have gone to Man Utd he'd have won league's and champions leagues without any doubts at all so I wouldn't hold that against him in any comparison.  Shearer at his peak was unbelievable and every bit as capable of a special goal as most of the other players listed.

Ronaldo and Suarez are a bit different.  Their sheer ability to drag a team performance up with their energy, athleticism and pure footballing ability, leaves them with more overall to give to a team than Shearer I think.  Henry, Drogba and Bergkamp you can make great arguments for if you want to say they're better than Shearer, but I'd still choose Shearer personally.  I'm not going to claim I'm not biased though.

Drogba's ability to get winners in big games has gave him an over inflated reputation.

He's nowhere near the very best in PL history, for starters he only topped 20 PL goals twice in his career. Compare that to the very best and it's quite poor.

In fact those two seasons aside his record is quite similar to someone like Bergkamp a guy who was a more attacking midfielder than anything else.

So no he didn't score loads.

He has a 1 in 2 record despite never being a designated penalty taker and primarily doing donkey work under Mourinho. That constitutes loads in my book. Owen gets called a great goalscorer all the time and he never managed 20 PL goals once.

I'd say Bergkamp's the most technically gifted player to have played in the Premiership. That vision man.

Can't bare to read his book, btw. Too depressing. Vision on the pitch was phenomenal, sure, but his general vision of football is wonderful too. Lightyears away from what we've got going on.

I will finish it, like. In all seriousness by tablet's broken - which is the main reason why I haven't. But still.

I thought it was an excellent book as it was totally different to your typical footballing autobiography. Really enjoyed his outlook on how the game should be played.

The testimonies from the likes of Cruijff were class too.

• 2 weeks later...

Just caught up with soccer Saturdays ultimate Premier league 1 to 11,heres the team

SCHMEICHEL 

NEVILLE        ADAMS    TERRY    COLE

RONALDO    GERRARD    VIERA  GIGGS

HENRY      BERGKAMP

no fucking Shearer what the actual fuck, Merson even claimed at one stage its harder to score goals when your in a better team that has more possession and creates more chances, I swear the blokes on magic mushrooms. As you can see its ever so slightly biased for Arsenal players.