Non-league football

Crumpy Gunt

Northumberland Senior Final tonight at SJP. Always feels strange cheering the opposition to NUFC but Howay the Peth!

Tonight is also probably the night Marske go above us in the league and that will be that. Fair play to them, been by far the best team in the NL this year and will see them next year as we are both promoted (forced or otherwise)

A mate of mine will be playing for Morpeth - Chrissy McDonald - he played at SJP in the final for Whitley a few seasons ago!

Aye not sure how much of a game he has been getting lately but he wasn't even on the bench for the final, instead going for a winger, Wayne Phillips at left back. Maybe they were worries about NUFCs pace - which was one of the reasons we got beat. Didn't disgrace ourselves though.

Disappointing end to the season, Marske deserved winners. Onwards to promotion next season but will miss playing all the local sides for some Yorkshire pudding instead.

Shame about the Roofing but was their gaffer/chairman was a gobby pain on the touchline so little sympathy. Always found it strange that Jarrow FC seemed to be climbing up the leagues - I'm guessing the good folk of Jarra weren't happy with the Roofing being based at Boldon.

Northumberland Senior Final tonight at SJP. Always feels strange cheering the opposition to NUFC but Howay the Peth!

Tonight is also probably the night Marske go above us in the league and that will be that. Fair play to them, been by far the best team in the NL this year and will see them next year as we are both promoted (forced or otherwise)

A mate of mine will be playing for Morpeth - Chrissy McDonald - he played at SJP in the final for Whitley a few seasons ago!

Aye not sure how much of a game he has been getting lately but he wasn't even on the bench for the final, instead going for a winger, Wayne Phillips at left back. Maybe they were worries about NUFCs pace - which was one of the reasons we got beat. Didn't disgrace ourselves though.

Disappointing end to the season, Marske deserved winners. Onwards to promotion next season but will miss playing all the local sides for some Yorkshire pudding instead.

Shame about the Roofing but was their gaffer/chairman was a gobby pain on the touchline so little sympathy. Always found it strange that Jarrow FC seemed to be climbing up the leagues - I'm guessing the good folk of Jarra weren't happy with the Roofing being based at Boldon.

I was out with him on Friday - gobsmacked he didn't make the bench!

Pleased for Hebburn. Nice club. Looks like they've turned it round and decent potential there.

Shame for Roofing but ultimately one person can't sustain a club forever, his efforts were immense at that level but they just never had any kind of real community following.

Pleased for Hebburn. Nice club. Looks like they've turned it round and decent potential there.

Shame for Roofing but ultimately one person can't sustain a club forever, his efforts were immense at that level but they just never had any kind of real community following.

Big plans mate - be quality next season as they're building a veranda! Really nice the boozer now too - great turnaround as you say!

Big plans mate - be quality next season as they're building a veranda! Really nice the boozer now too - great runaround as you say!

Place always had a nice feel to it and the investment will just make it better. I'm sure it will get the payback it deserves.

Be great if they can keep a steady 300 plus going.

I was out with him on Friday - gobsmacked he didn't make the bench!

I'm guessing the game plan was to hope to be in the tie in the final 10-15 minutes so we went with mostly attacking options on the bench with club captain Rasher and ex mackem striker Stephen Elliot. Curtis Coppen, signed from N-Shields and a very good central defender was the defensive option. Although Rash was called on early cos of injury it nearly worked. Mind, hell of a come down for Stephen Elliot, last time he was at SJP was scoring against NUFC in the derby (Emre freekick winner game) to now being on the bench for a team in the 9th tier of English football.

Well done to Marske on their NL title and promotion to the Evo 1 East- absolutely insane backlog of fixtures but somehow they got the points they needed.

Well done to Marske on their NL title and promotion to the Evo 1 East- absolutely insane backlog of fixtures but somehow they got the points they needed.

Fully deserved. Always one of the better away days at this level. Although their attendances are.notjing to write home about. Be interesting to see how it pans out for them and Morpeth. Can easily see teams playing games to not go up.

Big plans mate - be quality next season as they're building a veranda! Really nice the boozer now too - great turnaround as you say!

Me and my dad are going to get to a few more of their games next season since it's getting a bit much for him going to Newcastle.

Be interesting to see how it pans out for them and Morpeth. Can easily see teams playing games to not go up.

They will probably be fine although there are a couple of longer trips theyy will all be scheduled for Saturdays. One or two will always befall the weather / cup clashes so for certain they will be a few midweek treks- but not much worse than those playing in the Vase.

If NL teams want to throw games to stay down, fine- it means the teams who want to progress finally can. I was a bit unsure about enforced promotions but I think now it's the right thing to have done. Next season there is a much better chance for the sides down there with two of the better sides out of the way and at a higher level. The NE game is looking much stronger than it has done for a while, aside from the ongoing situation at Gateshead.

Roofing as a club were pretty much the work of one bloke. Was always liable to go the wall once he decided to retire.

Went along to Hebburn yesterday. Lovely set-up they've got there.

You can’t complain with £5 to get in and that included a pint!

It's a great set-up with the sports club there.

Days like yesterday really make me think again that football below a certain level would be far better running into the summer. Great weather and no professional game to compete with would mean bigger crowds. Especially if you organize the clubs in a community/social focused way.

Yep - it’s really popular as a boozer - good prices especially the happy hour(s!) and a good pint! I was there outside from 10.45 - 8.30 yesterday and it was bouncing all day! Like I was when I left ha ha!

Roofing as a club were pretty much the work of one bloke. Was always liable to go the wall once he decided to retire.

And that one bloke was a fucking idiot. Tried fighting North Shields fans last time we were there.

Days like yesterday really make me think again that football below a certain level would be far better running into the summer. Great weather and no professional game to compete with would mean bigger crowds. Especially if you organize the clubs in a community/social focused way.

Agree with this.

Big plans indeed - they're trying to sign several South Shields players who don't fancy the extra travel next season in the Evo Premier.

And that one bloke was a fucking idiot. Tried fighting North Shields fans last time we were there.

Was always threatening to chin somebody. More often than not an opposition fan  :lol:

Sounds good!

Do they have any plans on moving up the league pyramid or happy to stay in the Northern League?

Could be wrong. But I don’t think you have a choice now. I think if you win the NL you must take promotion. Unlike before when you had to apply etc.