Our Worst Manager Under Ashley

ChrisMcQuillan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Carver

McClaren

Kinnear

Bruce

Pardew

All of these at the time of appointment were so so bad in a tactical knowledge sense. Just absurd why you would take such a big risk on any of these with no proof of actual success.

It's all about doing what you're told and to not bad mouth Ashley as we know, but surely he had better options than these?

Kinnear was the strangest one, he was disconnected from management for so so long, was obvious he was going to use out dated tactics and systems, immediately putting the club under pressure with poor results and performances.

Went for Bruce because of how long we've had to put up with him compared to Carver and there were two or three good performances under Carver in the short spell, our best this season under Bruce (and the vast majority of last season) is being one of two equally bad teams in an awful game.

With Pardew, Ashley seemed more vividly the problem to me and would have gave Pardew a chance unshackled. He's since proven that that leniency was mistaken with his failures elsewhere without Ashley and his general d*ckheadedness continues.

None of them played anywhere as badly as often as Bruce, we have had less possession in EVERY game this season!!!

I always factor in that Kinnear did a great job at Wimbledon and like Carver was only temp.

How odd that 99% of the fan base knew they'd be disasters and that's exactly what they were.

Bruce has the potential to take us down the same route as Sunderland with his short term thinking and his daft decisions to give long term golden handshake contracts to older players and then potentially fill the team with loans, if he is allowed to stay beyond this season it will take a lot of money or a lot of time to clean up his mess.

Bruce has the potential to take us down the same route as Sunderland with his short term thinking and his daft decisions to give long term golden handshake contracts to older players and then potentially fill the team with loans, if he is allowed to stay beyond this season it will take a lot of money or a lot of time to clean up his mess.

If there is no takeover, and he's still around to start next season, potentially irreversible damage will be caused during that transfer window and the time he inevitably relegates us or is sacked. If we're relegated I can't see us bouncing back straight away for a third time.

The squad is in a total state as it is, loads of contracts running out, so as bare minimum it will need to be a busy window. He's had over a £100M to spend so far, plus those contracts handed out to Ritchie, Shelvey and Carroll - the fat moron has managed to take us backwards.

I've been a supporter for 20 years. I genuinely can't remember Kinnear on the touch line. I can remember the Talksport interview/him claiming that a contract extension is on his desk ready to be signed.. but can't remember him managing any of the games.

I can remember Roeder/Souness etc though. Odd.

I've been a supporter for 20 years. I genuinely can't remember Kinnear on the touch line. I can remember the Talksport interview/him claiming that a contract extension is on his desk ready to be signed.. but can't remember him managing any of the games.

I think the only moment I remember Kinnear in charge was away at Everton and he was sitting in the Directors box and we either scored once or maybe even twice before he'd even taken his seat so he missed it/them.

Reading through the thread it's quite remarkable how there's a really compelling case for every one of them. Carver skews the results though imo, I don't think you can put him in cos he wasn't permanent.

Pardew was so, so, so horribly damaging. He vindicated Ashley with that disgraceful showing in 2012/13 and everything that followed on and off the pitch until he left; we were never going to even contemplate being competitive ever again. We're still feeling the effects of Pardew. We even managed to find another just like him.

But I still think McClaren was the worst in terms of talent. £80m given and not only could he not steady the ship after the malaise of Pardew and the disaster of Carver, thinks actually got loads worse. Relegation wouldn't even have been close had he seen out the season, we probably would have finished 19th.

Opted for Bruce, but spoilt for choice. Hatred for him is far worse than Pardew, every aspect of his management I despise. His whole tenure is a death by a thousand cuts. I no longer care if we win, lose or draw, no longer celebrate when we score. The only emotion left is the hope that we don't get bloody relegated. 

As long as he is here, there is no silver lining to supporting this Ashley run club any more.

He has to be accepted to play the worst football of the lot. Only a handful of games at most haven't been the same disjointed shit show, although can only recall Bournemouth away. Any success from a game is relied on our ability to suck the life from other teams, and drag them down to our level, whilst having zero ability to attack as a team or control a game. 

Some of the fucking shite we've had man  :lol: :lol: :lol:

We could put together some kind of reverse Avengers team with these names. Just imagining Mike Ashley as Nick Fury now saying "I'm putting together a team..."

From a personal view, it’s Bruce for me. From a manager view it’s carver, but I never felt he would last.

Pretty much my view.

As much as I thought Pardew was an atrocious human being and complete embarrassment to the club, he didn't have the prior history of treating the club and fans with contempt that Bruce had prior to appointment, and once he fucked off he's stayed fucked off and hasn't gone gobbing off about us.

In terms of ability it's Carver by a country mile.

Like Nut, I'd rule Carver out given he was only ever in an interim/caretaker position, despite comfortably being the most inept.

The worst managerial appointment, if that's what we're looking at, has to be Kinnear. Being brought in from absolutely nowhere (four years out of work and last in the PL nine years beforehand) because he drank in the same pub as Ashley, at a time when a club legend had just walked away was utterly, utterly bonkers. It's completely safe to say none of the other 91 football league clubs would've touched him. It was proper circus stuff.

How has McClaren got 4 votes in there with that lot. :lol:

He got us relegated with a squad that included Wijnaldum, Sissoko, Perez, Krul, Coloccini, Janmaat and Townsend. Look at our PPG once Rafa took over, it would have had us in 11th place over the course of the season.

Carver isn't/wasn't a manager, just some spacker who happened to work at a club where the owner doesn't give a flying fuck.

Pardew as clear as his shortcomings and ineptitude is, still isn't the worst given the fact we were mid-table when he left and somehow was in charge during the 5th placed finish.

Kinnear or McClaren for me by far. Kinnear a dinosaur well past his sell-by date, even though he wasn't any good during his "peak" either. However, McClaren was diabolical, absolutely no fucking business getting relegated with that squad.

As utterly abysmal as all of the are/were, none of them served up the dire football Bruce puts out...

Don't remember the team being consistently bottom of every attacking metric for any of the barring Bruce.

Yes there were dire performances, yes there were humiliating defeats to shocking teams, but it was never seemed to be so consistently 'let the other team have the ball all the time and hope we can get a counter attack'

Pardew had the players to bail him out

McLaren had the right idea, but not the backbone to carry it out

Carver was just an accident waiting to happen from the start

Kinnear was an embarrassment from start to finish, but was picking up points. Not with great football, but still more entertaining than Bruceball. Plus there was always the cringy amusement that he might just have a sweary rant every now and then. Yes his Simon Bird rant looking back was a huge embarrassment, but still have the feeling that the intention was to build a siege mentality...just 20 years behind the times