sunder↓and

Greg
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest firetotheworks

I still crease at them calling themselves the Black Cats. It's like the least popular kid at school telling everyone to call him Blade.

I still crease at them calling themselves the Black Cats. It's like the least popular kid at school telling everyone to call him Blade.

:lol:  Absolutely! 

I can’t work out which of their self-styled names are the shittest, The Black Cats or The Stadium of Light?  Both fucking horrendous!  ;D

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/beleaguered-sunderland-put-up-sale-12053053

Beleaguered Sunderland put up for sale — for less than Arsenal spent on Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

Owner Ellis Short just wants out now and will take £50m to be rid of North-East giants staring at back-to-back relegations

Crisis club Sunderland are up for sale for £50million.

Manager Chris Coleman admitted on Monday that owner Ellis Short has fallen out of love with football, and appealed for a new tycoon to take charge.

Years of bad decisions and poor form on the pitch has left the Wearsiders facing consecutive relegations.

MirrorSport has been told that at one point, while they were in the Premier League, Sunderland were GIVING AWAY 9,000 tickets per game for free.

Current MD Martin Bain has scrapped that drain on income, but he also inherited several bad deals, a huge wage bill and spent 18 months cleaning it all up ready for a sale.

US-based billionaire Short wants out and has effectively handed over the keys to Bain.

A source said: “The club has very good infrastructure and nothing hiding under the bonnet now. The club needs a buyer.”

That £50m pricetag is less than Arsenal spent on a single player last month — £56m striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.

Bain became the “frontman” for crowd abuse during the weekend defeat by Brentford but has had to slash Short’s subsidy, which at one point ran at £25m a year, and has little leeway to invest in players.

Sunderland now have a £35m wage bill and have another season with a £35m parachute payment from the Premier League.

One interested German buyer failed to prove they were serious, but the hunt is on for another.

At £50m (plus the £70m of debt Short will want back) the loyal fans should be trying to buy a percentage of the club with whoever does buy them.

Not sure 10,000 of them would be enough to by a reasonable share (unless one or two  of the 10,000 actually there on match day is way above average in terms of wealth).

Such denial on RTG

Fake news. Claims the club gave away 9,000 tickets last season for games which comes across as nonsense so it's hard to take the rest of the article seriously.

I certainly don’t believe the 9,000 tickets a match give away

9000 tickets?Mag loving Mirror will now use this to highlight the passion of the Geordie Nation

Nothing more than a mag rumour.

And that's just page 1  ;D

I’m still bewildered at them calling themselves Mackems. What sort of mental gymnastics do you have to go through for a piss take on a dumb-sounding phrase, in a equally dumb-sounding Wearside twang (Mak’ ‘em ‘n’ tak’ ‘em), to become something you identify yourself as?  :icon_scratch:

Just heard Coleman's presser quotes - wow - last chance saloon to blast the owner and players!

I still can't believe he took that job on - he'd have a Premier League club now if he'd waited!

I hope Sammy scores 11 tonight and they fall down the leagues!

I’m still bewildered at them calling themselves Mackems. What sort of mental gymnastics do you have to go through for a piss take on a dumb-sounding phrase, in a equally dumb-sounding Wearside twang (Mak’ ‘em ‘n’ tak’ ‘em), to become something you identify yourself as?  :icon_scratch:

I think it came second after Black cats when they had a vote on a new nickname. Thick as fuck.

got a feeling they will win tonight, but imagine if the don't, draw nee good, the must win.

they are on the brink of oblivion if they lose  :lol:

As hilarious as the current plight of Sunderland really is I cannot help but, feel sorry for some of the fans, I have some mates who are top blokes but, just happen to be Sunderland fans.  They are absolutely in bits about the state of their club, these are lads that never once had a go at me about being a Newcastle fan during the height @SportsDirect Arena or the two relegations.  Lads that you can have a proper conversation about football with, everyone will know people like this and it is them I feel really sorry for.  My mates even sympathise over Ashley when their owner is arguably putting their club into an even more dire position that ours is....

So my point is that every time I see Sunderland have been beaten again I laugh inside, check the table to look at how dreadful their situation is and then remember how my mates feel and suddenly wonder how they might escape the oblivion of a second relegation....  I will be honest though, if it wasn't for the couple of mates I am talking about here I would be loving this, especially after reading and hearing the s**** spouted by some Sunderland supporters over us in recent years.

You just have to look at the National league table to see how far many previously established league clubs have fallen.

Don’t know much about tier three footy, never having ventured there before, but Wigan and Rochdale look decent. Both are probably reasonable  comparisons for a club/place like Sunderland. Particularly Wigan, recent tier one, demographics similar, perceived to be not a nice place, or at least a bit meh/unfashionable place, to live. Part of Greater Manchester but no sense of connection/shared identity with their regional capital.  The population of Sunderland (about 275k) sits  between the other two (Wigan 301k, Rochdale 211k). They might fit in well, once they get used to it; resign themselves to their level.

I’m still bewildered at them calling themselves Mackems. What sort of mental gymnastics do you have to go through for a p*ss take on a dumb-sounding phrase, in a equally dumb-sounding Wearside twang (Mak’ ‘em ‘n’ tak’ ‘em), to become something you identify yourself as?  :icon_scratch:

I think it came second after Black cats when they had a vote on a new nickname. Thick as f***.

yeah it did, I remember that.

What was their previous nickname?

I’m still bewildered at them calling themselves Mackems. What sort of mental gymnastics do you have to go through for a p*ss take on a dumb-sounding phrase, in a equally dumb-sounding Wearside twang (Mak’ ‘em ‘n’ tak’ ‘em), to become something you identify yourself as?  :icon_scratch:

I think it came second after Black cats when they had a vote on a new nickname. Thick as f***.

yeah it did, I remember that.

What was their previous nickname?

Rokerites?