The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

Man the collection of quality managers in the league is something else at the minute. Pretty cool.

it is but the level of patience within clubs is at an all time low as well, poor start they'll likely be fired off into the sun for a PFM

Man the collection of quality managers in the league is something else at the minute. Pretty cool.

Makes investment in the squad even more important, there's only so much Rafa can do. If clubs like West Ham & potentially Everton, who we were in and amongst last season, are going to also have top managers, then Benitez needs similar quality players to continue to compete with them.

Pellegrini is a bit like Arsene in a way though, as far as being an older and really relaxed guy, so probably the last thing they need tbh.

I think that may be the best thing regarding their hiring of Unai Emery, in that he demands a lot of his players.

Those Arsenal players really seemed far too comfortable with Wenger. Felt like they were taking advantage of the poor guy. Didn't really seem like they suffered any repercussions when they were awful.

Guest firetotheworks

Yeah, now they'll all just fall out with the manager when they lose instead. [emoji38] I'd take your point if he was a good manager as well, ala Simeone, but he's not a very good manager, which Wenger still was despite being soft.

Emery's time at PSG reminds me of Pardew here.

It just seemed like football happened to him and not because of him. He'd get chucked a load of players by the board without much say in the matter. The team practically picked it's self. The tactics didn't really matter because the players would just do what they fancied anyway. When the players got in a huff there was bugger all he could do about it.

And neither of them could handle Ben Arfa.

Yeah, now they'll all just fall out with the manager when they lose instead. [emoji38] I'd take your point if he was a good manager as well, ala Simeone, but he's not a very good manager, which Wenger still was despite being soft.

Yeah, perhaps :lol:

They're so soft now that you could definitely see them all throwing a tantrum with any kind of tough management.

They really should have done everything to try and get Simeone , but no chance he would have put up with that structure they want in place.

If Emery starts well and the team visibly doesn't look as flimsy as they have been for ages now, I could see him gathering steam as the fans will be so excited with that one change. A bad start would be a disaster though.

It just seemed like football happened to him and not because of him. He'd get chucked a load of players by the board without much say in the matter. The team practically picked it's self. The tactics didn't really matter because the players would just do what they fancied anyway. When the players got in a huff there was bugger all he could do about it.

Hmmm ...

Think you're being way too kind regarding Pardew.

I'd argue he found a way to pick worse players int the team than he should have the majority of the time. And he found a way to select the wrong tactics also.

Don't think he'll be as bad as some here seem to think mind

that's not really the criteria for them though is it?  they want CL football again and preferably a title challenge, they're absolutely not getting one of them and most likely neither

Guest firetotheworks

Don't think he'll be as bad as some here seem to think mind

It depends on your interpretation. Anything less than top 4, or unluckily missing out if next season's top 4 is really, really strong, then it's bad imo. Personally I think they'll be 6th or 7th.

Hmmm ...

I'd argue he found a way to pick worse players int the team than he should have the majority of the time. And he found a way to select the wrong tactics also.

Probably. I think it's arguable that Emery got a fair bit wrong in the first season in terms of tactics and selection (proven by finishing 2nd with a team that should have been able to walk that league 5x over). But when your team costs that much and you have the owners breathing down your neck it's understandable they'd want you picking on wages over performance.

Hmmm ...

He also managed to finish second in literally the easiest league to win

Monaco got 95 points like [emoji38]

Emery’s record is far superior to Pellegrini’s. Both have won and lost with over powered teams.  Emery’s successfully managed 2 teams with CL and Cup aims and no more. Pellegrini didn’t succeed at Real and did well with Malaga.  Emery’s has CL qualifications in a competitive league and won trophies. 

I think people are looking too much into his PSG job. That’s above his ability and has different requirements. Rafa’s never a good Real manager, doesn’t mean he’s not a top coach.

The remit of the Arsenal job is the same remit as Valencia and Sevilla. His prior achievements are still valid.

Emery’s record is far superior to Pellegrini’s. Both have won and lost with over powered teams.  Emery’s successfully managed 2 teams with CL and Cup aims and no more. Pellegrini didn’t succeed at Real and did well with Malaga.  Emery’s has CL qualifications in a competitive league and won trophies. 

I think people are looking too much into his PSG job. That’s above his ability and has different requirements. Rafa’s never a good Real manager, doesn’t mean he’s not a top coach.

The remit of the Arsenal job is the same remit as Valencia and Sevilla. His prior achievements are still valid.

Getting Malaga and Villareal to the latter stages of the CL while being very unlucky not to progress further is better than winning the Europa League IMO. Pellegrini also did better with City than Emery did with PSG and got a then record points total with Real Madrid