Paul Dummett

Guest palnese

How about we all get behind the lad now and support him?

Confidence and belief in him will go a massively long way to ensuring he improves as we improve

He has been solid for a long time not just since returning from injury, he has a decent turn of pace and is a cracking defender.

Plus he is a local lad and we should support him for it

i think the last one we fully got behind was Andy Carroll so howay

I have to give credit where it is due.  I have been a huge critic of Dummett in previous seasons as well as this season.  I cringe at how uncomfortable he is on the ball and how quickly he looks to relieve himself of it but, I cannot deny that his defending skills and ability to put in a good clean yet solid tackle are very good.

He isn't winning me completely over but, I am less likely to moan about his name on the team sheet currently.  The team is much improved with him in it.

Have to agree on this one. I think its absolutely shocking that any player in any starting line-up in the Premier League is allowed to have so poor control of the ball, but on his current form it's hard to justify leaving him out as he has been very solid defensively which is what we have needed more.

I’ve honestly never understood the stick he gets like (on the ball I do aye). He made a couple of mistakes last season and people were using it to score points in some odd claim he’s a bad defender. He’s always been solid and has never looked out of place defensively in this league.

I’ve honestly never understood the stick he gets like (on the ball I do aye). He made a couple of mistakes last season and people were using it to score points in some odd claim he’s a bad defender. He’s always been solid and has never looked out of place defensively in this league.

Because when you're paid millions of pounds to play football, not being scared on the ball is a pretty big thing. He's fine in games like Sunday against a big club where there's nothing expected of him other than to stop them playing. I watched him against Brighton however and it was alarming how poor he was feeding the ball to others. 0-0. A Paul Dummett special.

There'll be a day in the next year or so when we sign a left-back who can defend and also doesn't s*** himself in possession and we'll be in awe. He can do the defensive attributes well but that's the easiest part of football. Being able to head a ball clear, tackle someone, block a cross...that's basic defending and you get that throughout the leagues. For the Premier League though you need so much more.

I’ve honestly never understood the stick he gets like (on the ball I do aye).[/b] He made a couple of mistakes last season and people were using it to score points in some odd claim he’s a bad defender. He’s always been solid and has never looked out of place defensively in this league.

Because when you're paid millions of pounds to play football, not being scared on the ball is a pretty big thing. He's fine in games like Sunday against a big club where there's nothing expected of him other than to stop them playing. I watched him against Brighton however and it was alarming how poor he was feeding the ball to others. 0-0. A Paul Dummett special.

There'll be a day in the next year or so when we sign a left-back who can defend and also doesn't s*** himself in possession and we'll be in awe. He can do the defensive attributes well but that's the easiest part of football. Being able to head a ball clear, tackle someone, block a cross...that's basic defending and you get that throughout the leagues. For the Premier League though you need so much more.

:thup:

Our stats are always much better with him in the team - probably wouldn't have gone down last time if he hadn't got injured.

Isn't that because we've not had a decent backup for him in years though?

Not shitting on his performances or anything but that tweet might as well be pointing out that we score more goals with a striker on the pitch or concede more when we're down to 10 men.

Guest firetotheworks

Before our last relegation season he wasn't defensively solid like, there were plenty of times that he (imo) rightly got stick on here for things like losing his man at the back post, being out of position, being caught too high up the pitch, giving away free kicks, sithing down opposition players. You can also argue that 'attack being the best form of defence' his lack of attacking ability feeds the opposition because when you're hoofing it up the pitch and giving the opposition the ball, you're inviting pressure on your defence.

Don't get me wrong like, I wouldn't criticise him for his defensive work now because it's been solid since then, and it's pointless bringing it up because it's in the past, but as it's been mentioned, I do think this whole 'he's always been defensively solid' stuff is just revisionism like - unless of course you genuinely thought he was a decent defender at the time - in which case, fair enough. It was still the strongest part of his game, but his defensive side has improved a great deal over the past few seasons imo.

Guest alijmitchell

Credit where it is due with Dummett tbh. He has improved us since coming back. I have to say I've noticed him contributing a bit more at the other end as well. Nothing to shout home about, but a little better than before. I have way more confidence in him at LB than anyone else in the squad now.

Credit where it is due with Dummett tbh. He has improved us since coming back. I have to say I've noticed him contributing a bit more at the other end as well. Nothing to shout home about, but a little better than before. I have way more confidence in him at LB than anyone else in the squad now.

Agreed. I would imagine Rafa has been having a word regarding decision making for when to hit it long, when to drop back, when to bomb on etc. Made a subtle, but definite difference.

The fact he's exactly the same whether he's in the Premier League or Championship tells a story. I said on here at the start of last season that the Championship would have been a great place for him to gain confidence on the ball, have a chance to get forward more and improve his all-round game...but he's come back the same.

I can’t name many a PL full back that are as good defensively as Dummett and are pretty good going forward. You’re more likely to get a Davide Santon. 

He was solid in the relegation season and had he stayed fit would’ve earned us some points.

In the last 15 years the only left backs better than Dummett we’ve had are Bernard and Enrique. The stick is OTT.

Read the post man, I'm talking about people going completely overboard with criticism to the point where he was even being called a poor defender, that was said plenty last season and it was just odd. On the ball he's absolutely awful.

Because when you're paid millions of pounds to play football, not being scared on the ball is a pretty big thing.

And actually, this is just absolute nonsense. Danny Simpson won the league ffs :lol:

You want footballers to be good on the ball but it's by no means a requirement if they have other attributes which are effective. There's countless examples throughout football of players who lack in key areas but make up for it elsewhere and are an asset to their side.

I'd say in our current state Paul Dummett is definitely an asset.

If Dummett had the technique of Danny Simpson none would have an issue with him.

In our current state and his current form, against some teams, he is an asset. In other games where we need to make something happen against perceived equal or worse opposition he is a liability.

Guest firetotheworks

Aye, that's not the strongest point to make like. :lol: The Simpson and Williamson tag team were relentless hoof merchants.

Yes.

He was and is absolutely shocking on the ball. He might be better than Dummett, I wouldn't want to be the one to analyse like :lol:

I completely get why people want Dummett replaced, I do too at some point, but he's the least of our worries at the minute and was absolutely sound last season.