Paul Dummett

Guest palnese

Defending is as much a part of the game as attacking. Not many attackers can defend, so why should we necessarily expect our full backs to attack? It is as much a part of the game to tackle and / or intercept as it is to score...

Defending is as much a part of the game as attacking. Not many attackers can defend, so why should we necessarily expect our full backs to attack? It is as much a part of the game to tackle and / or intercept as it is to score...

Difference between not being able to attack and not being able to control a football properly.

Guest neesy111

I'd rather give out wingers more license to attack by having some fullbacks who can defend behind them.  I'm absolutely certain the reason ritchie has to play is because of Yedlin's defensive problems.

I'd rather give out wingers more license to attack by having some fullbacks who can defend behind them.  I'm absolutely certain the reason ritchie has to play is because of Yedlin's defensive problems.

Aye. I agree with all of this. Think people don't like Dummett because they see him as the nervous kid that was being played out of position in a team that lacked character and that was relegated. He's grown as a player since then and it says it all that he featured more than any other player last season and has gone virtually straight back in the team once fit.

Ritchie hangs his full back out to dry, he's dreadful at picking up his man.

I also agree with this. He's arguably our strongest winger defensively still though. Which doesn't say much but it offers a reason to why he always features.

• 3 weeks later...

Said to my mate down at Palace last weekend, he f***ing loves defending. If there's a slide tackle to be made, he's in there like a flash.

The big shame is that he's still aaful going forward, which would mean ideally he'd be replaced for where we're hoping to be.

I'm reluctant as to get a full back who can defend as well as Dummett and also attack would cost a fortune and would probably not be feasible for us. I think if he was replaced with more attacking player we would miss him massively. The solution may be to get a back up attacking left back to challenge Dummett but not to replace.

Our stats are always much better with him in the team - probably wouldn't have gone down last time if he hadn't got injured.

I agree with this 100%. For a team battling relegation, clean sheets and low conceding is massive. 

The last time I think we tried the Ginger one and the big booty one at LB and they cost us goals. 

Has been spot on since he returned from injury. Always committed, defensively solid and while is lacking in quality in some areas, his crossing (from albeit a relatively small sample) has seemed a bit improved.

His strengths suit the type of football we're playing and the way we're currently set up. Will be his curse that the better the team get, the more at risk he'll be from an 'upgrade'.

I have to give credit where it is due.  I have been a huge critic of Dummett in previous seasons as well as this season.  I cringe at how uncomfortable he is on the ball and how quickly he looks to relieve himself of it but, I cannot deny that his defending skills and ability to put in a good clean yet solid tackle are very good.

He isn't winning me completely over but, I am less likely to moan about his name on the team sheet currently.  The team is much improved with him in it.

Having a solid, defensive fullback is much better than have a defensively suspect fullback with better attacking qualities in our current situation.

Those fullbacks than possess both positive attributes tend to cost more money than we're ever likely to pay, so for now he'll do for me.