La Liga 17/18

Village Idiot

I haven't seen the current La Liga thread. We didn't set one up for this season yet? I haven't been around much lately...

TV money figures for last season have been released. Second year with the collective deal fully implemented:

imagen-sin-titulo.jpg?mtime=1514925426

First number is TV revenue, second is a small percentage that's deducted to support the lower leagues and grassroots football.

Barça and Madrid got a sort of grandfather clause where the revenue they had in their existing exclusive TV contracts would be protected (as in, they can't fall below what they had before entering the collective contract), but it won't increase either until others catch up. By way of comparison, Atlético and Valencia were making €40m-€50m before the contract came in force.

For comparison, a low-table La Liga club would make like €20 million before the collective deal came in. It's been a great lift for smaller clubs. A

• 2 weeks later...

Las Palmas are s**** and are going down this season in embarrassing fashion.

In fairness to them, as poor as they are, they will only work with managers who identify with the Las Palmas 'ethos' of football and essentially refuse to budge. Yes, they're cack atm, but I find them as a club very refreshing compared to the desperate states in our league.

Real lose again!

Going to Atletico v Girona next Saturday. Any remaining Real v Deportivo go on general sale in two days might check the availability as that’s next Sunday (don’t think the wife will be happy mind  :cheesy:)

Atletico 1-1 Girona

Fantastic stadium with a good atmosphere in general. Can only imagine what the Calderon was like. Made English fans look s*** (as we all know).

Griezmann looked quality til he was subbed, Costa looked unfit, and the black CM (no idea who) was awful. However Saul dominated the match in midfield. Very good performance.

CL final is there in 2019 - everyone will be impressed. Great views and I was in the cheapest seats (€40) so can only imagine what the lower ones are like.

I was lucky enough to get to a match at El Calderon last season. It's actually heartbreaking for that club how they have left it. I have a lot of time for Atletico but they have sold out in this case (imo). They were competing just fine at El Calderon- Simeone showed that it was actually a change in management and professionalism/stability the club needed to return it to the top of European football.

As with a lot of stadiums that are abandoned, the Vicente Calderon was in the heart of an Atleti neighborhood and, from the time I went there, offered a really authentic matchday experience that so many new stadiums can't. It really is such a shame. An incredible old-school ground with a brilliant atmosphere!

And El Frente create a great noise- going to matches abroad shows how the (top flight) English game has all but lost its atmosphere/character.

• 3 weeks later...

In other China-Spain related news, Wanda are selling their Atlético shares (20%) to some Israel investor.

I watched the recent Barcelona derby on TV and was really surprised at how empty the stadium looked.

Is that normal or was there a particular reason for it this time ?