Matt Ritchie

Fenham Mag

Guest Howaythetoon

From what I saw of him last season (not much mind) he looks like a hard working, quick and direct wide player. When we somehow beat them at their place, he stood out for me and caused us all kinds of problems. He's the kind of player Rafa loves.

The cheek of TT after he vehemently licked Colback's hoop ffs :lol:

That didn't happen though.  I was keen to give the lad a chance and not hold where he came from against him, very small time mentality iyam... And for a couple of games looked a decent rotational pick... However that became progressively worse as it went on. I can only apologise for not instantly disliking him because he played for Sunderland, I'll not be open minded ever again.  :lol:

I tried to give riviere the same chance (because I have been accused for not giving players a chance because of the being 'forrin')  but my patience ran out after 2 games  :lol:

People still down on English players and Townsend suffered from that, Ritchie won't get the same due to Rafa being the man bringing him in but had this been a mcClaren signing shit would have hit the fan, same with Gayle.

I've said for years now we need more English players who give a shit about the club, see us as a big club and want to play for us, not treat us as a stepping stone... But they do need to be the right quality as well. We've just not struck the right balance, I think rafa sees this from the off and I expect to see more domestic players come in than foreign, which would be typically strange for a foreign manager.

That didn't happen though.  I was keen to give the lad a chance and not hold where he came from against him, very small time mentality iyam... And for a couple of games looked a decent rotational pick... However that became progressively worse as it went on.

I tried to give riviere the same chance (because I have been accused for not giving players a chance because of the being 'forrin')  but my patience ran out after 2 games  :lol:

People still down on English players and Townsend suffered from that, Ritchie won't get the same due to Rafa being the man bringing him in but had this been a mcClaren signing s*** would have hit the fan, same with Gayle.

It was more to do with the fact Townsend didn't look nowhere this level of player for Spurs, even when he was nailed on starter his only goal was a overhit free kick which clearly was meant to be a cross. The rest of his performances were basically cut inside and shoot but never score.

I mean he scored more for us in 13 games than he did for Spurs in 50, has f*** all to do with him being English he just never showed anything like this form for Spurs and to try and suggest he did is nothing but revisionist history.

That didn't happen though.  I was keen to give the lad a chance and not hold where he came from against him, very small time mentality iyam... And for a couple of games looked a decent rotational pick... However that became progressively worse as it went on. I can only apologise for not instantly disliking him because he played for Sunderland, I'll not be open minded ever again.  :lol:

People still down on English players and Townsend suffered from that, Ritchie won't get the same due to Rafa being the man bringing him in but had this been a mcClaren signing shit would have hit the fan, same with Gayle.

I've said for years now we need more English players who give a shit about the club, see us as a big club and want to play for us, not treat us as a stepping stone... But they do need to be the right quality as well. We've just not struck the right balance, I think rafa sees this from the off and I expect to see more domestic players come in than foreign, which would be typically strange for a foreign manager.

This is during a time when people effectively hated the club tbf :lol:

I think if Rafa had signed him (knowing he has full control) it'll have been a lot different, you're right. McClaren bought him as a left winger too iirc, the dolt.

EDIT: Not sure people would be complaining about Gayle and Ritchie regardless of manager mind, not in the Championship anyway. The main issue back when we signed Townsend on the whole was our squad was shite and everyone was convinced we were getting relegated. Ritchie and Gayle would get into most sides in the Championship though and it feels like our squad will be the strongest down there.

That didn't happen though.  I was keen to give the lad a chance and not hold where he came from against him, very small time mentality iyam... And for a couple of games looked a decent rotational pick... However that became progressively worse as it went on.

People still down on English players and Townsend suffered from that, Ritchie won't get the same due to Rafa being the man bringing him in but had this been a mcClaren signing s*** would have hit the fan, same with Gayle.

It was more to do with the fact Townsend didn't look nowhere this level of player for Spurs, even when he was nailed on starter his only goal was a overhit free kick which clearly was meant to be a cross. The rest of his performances were basically cut inside and shoot but never score.

I mean he scored more for us in 13 games than he did for Spurs in 50, has f*** all to do with him being English he just never showed anything like this form for Spurs and to try and suggest he did is nothing but revisionist history.

That's rubbish, I was one of a few who thought he'd go on to be a good signing. That was based on his performances for Spurs, QPR and England that I'd seen at the time. Everyone else took one blanket look at the fact he wasn't getting a game for Spurs and decided he was shite.

He'd played a handful on the left but as you say mostly on the right.

It's more as I said at the time that he's just not a good fit for how Pochettino likes his 'wingers' to play. i.e. not like proper wingers.