Video Assistant Referees (VAR)

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

To be honest when i'm at the match and we score, i always delay my celebration by a second to see if the lino has his flag up or anything anyway.

Bit weird mate  :lol:

Nonetheless, hanging fire for a second or so is a bit different to a couple of minutes...

So no one else looks at the lino to check? :lol:

I do, it’s not weird at all.  If there’s a chance of an offside/foul/handball in the build up then i always hang fire in case it gets disallowed.

Yes, joking aside, we probably all do glance at the linesman, if we think there's something, usually offside, potentially wrong with any goal. But as I say, that's a second or so that doesn't impede upon the spontaneity of your celebration. Hanging fire while they check 17 different camera angles to look at something will. It was very evident in that brilliant goal Tadic scored at Madrid last week.

That's just how it has to be though, do you want more correct decisions or not?

Potentially not, if it's going to spoil my enjoyment of the game.

Suppose it's all about the degree of intrusion you're prepared to put up with. You're prepared to wait up to a few minutes to (supposedly) get the correct decision. I'm not, as I think it devalues both the moment and the atmosphere.

If i actually thought the referees were fair to every team then i MIGHT have a slightly different view on it.

But they blatently aren't, this will at least even it out a bit.

No more bias decisions to the 'big' teams.

Or, fewer anyway.

How important is "getting the right decision" when it impacts this much on the game itself, which has been so popular without needing it before now?

You must agree that there's a line somewhere (unless you're in favour of doing away with on-field officials altogether and just having a referee with a camera make every single decision, with players waiting for a signal for each contentious throw in etc) and for me VAR crosses the line into overly intrusive.

To be honest when i'm at the match and we score, i always delay my celebration by a second to see if the lino has his flag up or anything anyway.

Nonetheless, hanging fire for a second or so is a bit different to a couple of minutes...

I do, it’s not weird at all.  If there’s a chance of an offside/foul/handball in the build up then i always hang fire in case it gets disallowed.

Yes, joking aside, we probably all do glance at the linesman, if we think there's something, usually offside, potentially wrong with any goal. But as I say, that's a second or so that doesn't impede upon the spontaneity of your celebration. Hanging fire while they check 17 different camera angles to look at something will. It was very evident in that brilliant goal Tadic scored at Madrid last week.

Quick glance at the linesman is a part of winding up the spring.

Quick glance at the linesman is a part of winding up the spring.

I held my breath for what seemed like an eternity after that 3rd goal against Everton, then I went mad when I realised it wasn't given. If it's a fine margin then yes I will glance to see if a call has been made before celebrating.

How important is "getting the right decision" when it impacts this much on the game itself, which has been so popular without needing it before now?

You must agree that there's a line somewhere (unless you're in favour of doing away with on-field officials altogether and just having a referee with a camera make every single decision, with players waiting for a signal for each contentious throw in etc) and for me VAR crosses the line into overly intrusive.

Umm, if you want correct decisions, very important.

Things like throw ins are still going to be wrong, i can accept that.

Blatent offsides etc nah, they NEED to be correct.

I agree that it will take away some excitement in certain instances, can’t argue with that.  I just think that using current situations as to why VAR is shit isn’t that relevant as the system is still in it’s infancy.  It will almost definitely improve over the next few years and soon we should have a pretty fast, effecient system that takes away that element of injustice most of the time.  Also, it doesn’t get used on every goal, so i think a lot of people are watching 1 clip of when the decision has taken too long and exaggerating the overall impact VAR has.

It struck me when looking at that glorious picture of the crowd following Perez's second goal, this is the kind of thing that VAR is going to take away from us. And I don't just mean because it was offside, and hence would subsequently have been disallowed. Even if Rondon had been onside, they would have referred it to be checked. So you would have had those few seconds of total joy, then the ref would have been like, hold on lads, we're just checking VAR to see if it counts. So everybody puts celebrations on hold while they check it for a couple of minutes. Oh, it's alright, start your celebrations again.

VAR will undoubtedly result in more 'right' decisions being made, certainly in respect of offside anyway, so in that sense it's difficult to argue it's a 'bad' thing. But, IMO, it's definitely going to take something away from the matchday experience. Even if you're just watching on the telly. Those spontaneous moments of sheer joy in the aftermath of a goal, so well captured in the Perez picture, are going to be diluted, and that is to the detriment of the game.

To be honest the V.A .R has not done the game any favors  here in Australia  . Seems to be just as many bad decisions. 

Rather  not have it myself , 

The way we have done it is more due to the incredible incompetence of the FFA and everyone associated with it. Shit refs referring shit decisions to shit reviewers. At the start of the season there was an objectively incorrect decision being made after review every week.

It effects the behaviour of referees (ours, at least). They become more conservative, knowing they have a safety net. Seems that way to me, anyway.

• 1 month later...