Football podcasts

Gash

Andy Brassell leaving was a real blow, not many people with more knowledge about European football around. Vickery is still brilliant when given time to talk.

Agree that the callers have become worse as well. I miss people calling in to ask weird questions that only really obsessed football fans would ask. Remember one guy who was very concerned about what had happend to Rafael Sobis.

• 1 month later...

Really enjoying the Guardian Football Weekly ones currently. Jimbo's very quick and funny as well as usually very knowledgeable guests. Mondays and Thursdays.

Glendenning is a prick mind.

I like it but at times the likes of Richardson come across quite pompous and belittling.

Generally enjoy the Times one even if its a bit too focused on the "big sides" but usually find it an interesting listen, plus yeah always enjoy listening to Marcotti. Guardian ones hit and miss, at its best with the likes of Wilson, Auclair and Honigstein

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is there a way of listening to old episodes of the world football phone in podcast?

Good question, I'd like to know too.

Also, some of us from Uni are doing a weekly podcast now - entitled Kevin Phillips' Piano.....not really sure why! We've only done 2 episodes so it's very VERY rough, with lots of small problems that'll get fixed over time. But, on the other hand, we're using the Cagney & Lacey theme tune.

https://soundcloud.com/matthew-barber-10/episode-1-one-in-the-hand-or

Is there a way of listening to old episodes of the world football phone in podcast?

Also, some of us from Uni are doing a weekly podcast now - entitled Kevin Phillips' Piano.....not really sure why! We've only done 2 episodes so it's very VERY rough, with lots of small problems that'll get fixed over time. But, on the other hand, we're using the Cagney & Lacey theme tune.

Well done. :thup: Some genuine laughs in there too. The description of the Joe Allen miss. :lol:

Well done. :thup: Some genuine laughs in there too. The description of the Joe Allen miss. :lol:

Interesting stat on the Guardian podcast this week about every team in the league last season having the minority of possession after going in front in a game. Might have some bearing on the whole 'we always sit back' issue.

Among football analytics writers that phenomena is called "score effects", and has its origins in ice hockey analytics.

Basically, all teams tend to change their style of play slightly depending on the scoreline. Teams that are ahead tend to see less of the ball than their opponents, and attempt fewer shots while teams from behind have more of the ball, take more shots (though those shots tend to be more long-distance than other game-states).  Even a dominant team will usually see less possession when they are leading than when they are when the game is tied.

Basically, when trying to analysis with stuff like shot attempts or possession you need to separate them depending on the scoreline and then examine them. You'll get the best idea of how good a team is when the score is tied over many games or the full season.

I can't speak for football, but I know in hockey it's not so much a tactical issue on the part of the side that is leading as something inherent - whether due to psychology and risk-aversion or something else. The score effects tend to render non-score-tied possession metrics* mostly useless on a single-game basis.

*since they don't actually measure possession in hockey it's measured by proxy using shot attempts, which syncs up very well to actual possession when somebody has bothered to try to track it.

Interesting stat on the Guardian podcast this week about every team in the league last season having the minority of possession after going in front in a game. Might have some bearing on the whole 'we always sit back' issue.

They didn't say that, it sounds like he did but then he clarifies what he means is that every team's possession reduces after going in front.  So it might go from 60% possession to 59% possession.

They didn't say that, it sounds like he did but then he clarifies what he means is that every team's possession reduces after going in front.  So it might go from 60% possession to 59% possession.

Oh, if that's right I misunderstood. Guess the effect is similar either way, since your possession is likely to be around 50% anyway.

Among football analytics writers that phenomena is called "score effects", and has its origins in ice hockey analytics.

Basically, all teams tend to change their style of play slightly depending on the scoreline. Teams that are ahead tend to see less of the ball than their opponents, and attempt fewer shots while teams from behind have more of the ball, take more shots (though those shots tend to be more long-distance than other game-states).  Even a dominant team will usually see less possession when they are leading than when they are when the game is tied.

Basically, when trying to analysis with stuff like shot attempts or possession you need to separate them depending on the scoreline and then examine them. You'll get the best idea of how good a team is when the score is tied over many games or the full season.

I can't speak for football, but I know in hockey it's not so much a tactical issue on the part of the side that is leading as something inherent - whether due to psychology and risk-aversion or something else. The score effects tend to render non-score-tied possession metrics* mostly useless on a single-game basis.

*since they don't actually measure possession in hockey it's measured by proxy using shot attempts, which syncs up very well to actual possession when somebody has bothered to try to track it.

I believe it's a basic psychology of scoreline-based sports, certainly more than it is a tactical decision. But that's just my feeling really, I don't know much about it.

Is the True Faith Podcast worth a listen? Never been a fan of 'Taylor and Besty' on twitter but heard some good things about it.

Yeah I think it is. :thup:

Quite like it myself although I wouldn't always agree with some of their assertions.

Definitely worth a listen though :thup:

Absolutely love the guardian podcast like, just find it really entertaining. Sometimes skip over stuff I'd like to hear more of, but their crack is right up my street and I learn a bit about foreign leagues that I neglect when they've got their correspondents.

Found it quite funny when they got to our game on this week's and none of them had seen anything from it. The most they could muster was one making a vague point about Ben Arfa being dropped from the team, ironically in the game that he came back in. Enjoy it regularly though.

True Faith one used to be much better when it was just the two of them cracking jokes with each other and stuff like that, a bit more irreverent. Now they're getting journalists and that on it's a bit shitter (TF editor being the worst offender by far, his crack is rank)