Europa League 2012/13 - Benfica 1 - 2 Chelsea

MKSC
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Quarter Finals

Newcastle

Chelsea

Tottenham

Rubin Kazan

Basel

Benfica

Fenerbahce

Lazio

Draw for the Quarter Finals takes place on Friday 15 March at 11.40 AM, the event will be streamed by UEFA.com . The draw is open (all teams can play each other)

Round of 32

Draw for the Round of 32 and Round of 16 takes place on December 20th. Our home tie for the Round of 16 will be on February 14th 2012, with the reverse fixture on February 21st 2012.

Seeded

Lazio

Рубин Kazan

Металіст Kharkiv

Fenerbahce

Lyon

Дніпро Dnipropetrovsk

Olympiakos

Chelsea

CFR Cluj-Napoca

Benfica

Bordeaux

Liverpool

Plzen

Steaua Bucaresti

Hannover 96

Genk

Unseeded

Tottenham Hotspur

Inter Milan

Napoli

Sparta Prague

Bayer Leverkusen

Borussia Mönchengladbach

Ajax

Динамо Kiev

BATE Borisov

Зенит Saint Petersburg

Newcastle United

Анжи Makhachkala

Atletico Madrid

VFB Stuttgart

Levante

Basel

English European Competition Qualification 2011/12 - Updated 07/05/12

1st    Champions League Group Stage (currently Manchester United)

2nd    Champions League Group Stage (currently Manchester City)

3rd    Champions League Group Stage (currently Arsenal)

4th    Champions League Third (Final) Qualifying Round (currently Tottenham)

5th    Europa League Third (Final) Qualifying Round (currently NUFC)

League Cup Winners    Europa League Qualifying. (Liverpool) If Liverpool qualify via League Position this slot goes to the highest placed team not qualified via other means.

FA Cup Winners            Europa League Group Stage (Chelsea).  If Chelsea win the Champions League the Europa League Group Stage spot will go to the highest placed team not qualified for the Champions League. (5th or 6th probably)This has been clarified by a bloke who works at UEFA, who knows a bloke who knows "withabrick".

How can NUFC get in to Europe? **UPDATED**

Champions League:

NUFC Finish in the top 4. Unlikely. Less unlikely than before, but still pretty unlikely. It might just f***ing happen. BELIEVE [/Rich]

We need to win our last game at Everton and hope Spurs drop points (Draw or Lose) OR Arsenal lose to finish 4th, or BOTH to get 3rd.

4th does not guarantee CL as Chelsea could win the final and claim the final spot.

Europa League:

NUFC finish 4th and Chelsea win the Champions League Final

NUFC Finish 5th

NUFC win FA Cup

NUFC reach FA Cup Final but lose to Champions League Qualified Team

NUFC finish 6th

NUFC finish 7th and Chelsea win the Champions League*

*The current understanding is that should Chelsea win the Champions League and finish outside the top 4 they will take the 4th CL Qualifying place. The team finishing in 4th will be given a place in the Europa League, this will be in addition to the 3 Europa League places awarded to England.

Everton could still finish in Europe if they Finish 7th and Chelsea win the Champions League.

Eh? how?

Chelsea would get the 4th CL spot and as compensation the 4th place team would be granted a EL place. This would be an ADDITIONAL place and not take away from the other ones awarded to the English FA. It would go a bit like this.

1 Man Utd/Man City - CL

2 Man City/Man Utd - CL

3 Arsenal/Spurs/NUFC - CL

4 Arsenal/Spurs/NUFC - EL - Additional Place

5 Arsenal/Spurs/NUFC - EL

6 Chelsea - CL as Winners

7 Everton/Fulham/Liverpool - EL - FA Cup place allocated to highest league place

8 Everton/Fulham/Liverpool - EL - Carling Cup place.

Everton or Fulham could finish 8th and get it as long as Liverpool come 7th.

If I've missed anything, and I probably have, feel free to let me know.

The bottom line is that we are now guaranteed Europa League next season. Well done everyone at NUFC

AND Liverpool (win the League Cup whilst) finishing in a position that would afford them European Qualification.

So that's a minimum of fifth, or is it sixth..? My head hurts...

All in all it seem quite unlikely unless we manage to finish 5th, even if Liverpool win the League Cup. There always tends to be a dark horse in the cup final(s).

AND Liverpool (win the League Cup whilst) finishing in a position that would afford them European Qualification.

So that's a minimum of fifth, or is it sixth..? My head hurts...

All in all it seem quite unlikely unless we manage to finish 5th, even if Liverpool win the League Cup. There always tends to be a dark horse in the cup final(s).

If Liverpool win the League Cup, they'll have to finish 5th or above for 6th to mean Europe. If Liverpool finish 6th or below then there's no extra European places. Unless the FA Cup final is contested between two teams already in the top 5. Then 6th will mean Europe.

fair play league qualification?

EDIT I know we are currently bottom but i dont know how that effects things elsewhere

Qualification through the Fair Play League comes into play at the end of the season. UEFA awards extra Europa League places to the three highest scoring nations (the scores being in terms of "Fair Play Coefficients").

The fair play league doesn't really matter. There is a possibility that England could end up not being one of the three highest scoring nations.

fair play league qualification?

EDIT I know we are currently bottom but i dont know how that effects things elsewhere

Doesn't affect a thing, mate. Not sure on the full workings but that's a completely seperate issue.

3 European countries drawn randomly, and then the 'fairest' team from each of top league of those countries goes into the Europa League IIRC.

EDIT: Sifu. :thup:

For some reason, I keep reading this thread as "The Master Race for Europe".

What happens if Arsenal win the CL (I know, I know) and end up 5th?

I'd imagine that Arsenal would be let into the CL (they'll use Liverpool as an example), how that impacts the Europa League spaces however is quite a puzzler. Hmmm....

I'd imagine that Arsenal would be let into the CL (they'll use Liverpool as an example), how that impacts the Europa League spaces however is quite a puzzler. Hmmm....

I think, enforced mainly by Uefa, is that 4th place would then go into the Europa League, won't they?

I think, enforced mainly by Uefa, is that 4th place would then go into the Europa League, won't they?

But then whoever finishes 4th would feel aggrieved of a place in the CL, they would cite the Liverpool/Everton example to argue their point....

But then whoever finishes 4th would feel aggrieved of a place in the CL, they would cite the Liverpool/Everton example to argue their point....

I think UEFA let Liverpool in begrudgingly and effectively said it would be the last time that was allowed to happen iirc.

:dontknow: Then said CL winners would argue the Real Madrid case from even earlier to argue theirs. And would have Uefa on their side, who are the ones that told the FA to allow Liverpool didn't they? My assumption is that there would be enough history for Uefa to stand by their previous decisions and force through CL winners to get the 4th place and actual 4th place to settle with EL. But guess we will never really know unless it happens..

I think UEFA let Liverpool in begrudgingly and effectively said it would be the last time that was allowed to happen iirc.

Ah, didn't realise this.

Christ, just read IP's post above. Is my whole above post rendered absolute, complete bullshit? :lol:

Your assumption is correct methinks as in 4th would have to accept the Europa League while the CL winners who finish 5th would be let into the CL.

Christ, just read IP's post above. Is my whole above post rendered absolute, complete bullshit? :lol:

:lol: Nah, I just meant that UEFA said you've got 4 spots to use as you wish and they'd not be giving additional ones going forward.

:lol: Cool :thup: It was the way you said begrudgingly let Liverpool in. I thought that Uefa begrudgingly let Everton and FA begrudingly let Liverpool in a sense. They both had different feelings on who should get priority iirc.