Author Topic: Broadband speed help  (Read 161 times)

Broadband speed help
« on: Saturday 18 March 2017, 08:48:36 AM »
Hello. We just got our Virgin media broadband upgraded to 200mb yesterday.  Using Speedtest.net I wanted to test the speed. When I use my iPad I consistently get around the 200mb mark but when using both my iPhone and laptop I always get between 40-50mb. Basically just wondering if I'm being thick, there is something wrong with my stuff or I need to ring up and see if there is an issue? Thanks.

neesy111

• Prontonise
Re: Broadband speed help
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 March 2017, 10:48:41 AM »
Hello. We just got our Virgin media broadband upgraded to 200mb yesterday.  Using Speedtest.net I wanted to test the speed. When I use my iPad I consistently get around the 200mb mark but when using both my iPhone and laptop I always get between 40-50mb. Basically just wondering if I'm being thick, there is something wrong with my stuff or I need to ring up and see if there is an issue? Thanks.

How old is the Laptop?  If it doesn't have the latest wireless n and AG standards you won't get close to 200mb.  Similar with iPhone.  Try plugging in your laptop via Ethernet and see what it gets.

« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 March 2017, 10:57:58 AM »

How old is the Laptop?  If it doesn't have the latest wireless n and AG standards you won't get close to 200mb.  Similar with iPhone.  Try plugging in your laptop via Ethernet and see what it gets.

About 3 years old. I will give it a go. Noticed the same is happening on the xbox one.

neesy111

• Prontonise
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 March 2017, 12:29:42 PM »

About 3 years old. I will give it a go. Noticed the same is happening on the xbox one.

Should be fine for Wireless N at least.  Might not have 5Ghz network though which ramps up the speed.

Might be getting interference as well.  Try testing it in different positions in your house to see if the speed changes variably.

« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 March 2017, 02:48:03 PM »
Been having a look about and everything I have read backs up what you were saying about the wireless capability of my devices. From what I can gather my ipad Air 2 has the newer technology and therefore is the only device getting the 200mb. My laptop and iphone don't. If I buy a USB wirless adaptor that works with both bands will that result in my laptop picking up higher speeds. Seems all my devices that only work on the 2.4ghz max out at about 50mb.

neesy111

• Prontonise
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 March 2017, 04:13:03 PM »
Been having a look about and everything I have read backs up what you were saying about the wireless capability of my devices. From what I can gather my ipad Air 2 has the newer technology and therefore is the only device getting the 200mb. My laptop and iphone don't. If I buy a USB wirless adaptor that works with both bands will that result in my laptop picking up higher speeds. Seems all my devices that only work on the 2.4ghz max out at about 50mb.

It should help if it goes into a USB 3 port and the adaptor is USB 3 compatible.

« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 March 2017, 12:05:22 PM »
I used an app on my android phone called Wifi Analyzer, which showed the channel my wifi on was clashing with a lot of my neighbour's routers.  I picked the clearest channel in my router setup as suggested by the app, and now my devices with weaker wifi receivers are working much better.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like the app is on iOS
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/wifi-analyzer-equivalent-on-ios.2406205/

You could either borrow someone's Android phone to try it out, or just experiment with different channels.

Have you reset your router since you got the speed upgrade?  I'd had problems with certain games and devices for a while (while other stuff worked fine) and unplugging my router and plugging it back in seemed to solve them.

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 05:42:55 PM »
Sorry just seen this message now. I have reset the router and it apparently picks the best channel when it switches back on. Had a bit more joy on my xbox but my laptop still seems to reach a maximum of 50mb. Think the hardware needs an upgrade.